Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Fu....huuuuuumping!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=239vHrwt8Rs
So what? Let's [looks around nervously]..hhhuump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
I’m not prepared to revisit life is peachy from my youth. I do not think I ever will be

Escape From Noise

Evil Bob posted:

I’m not prepared to revisit life is peachy from my youth. I do not think I ever will be

Don't gently caress hump with me!

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Evil Bob posted:

It's good to revisit Nu Metal frequently.

My worst music take is Nu Metal is better than Grunge.

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
For many years I thought he was saying "I do not dream about sex." But I also don't think I realized the song was even called A.D.I.D.A.S. and then I thought when it got a bit more break down like then he was screaming "I dream about sex and I'm sorry." So there was like a denial angle.

Escape From Noise

Zurtilik posted:

It's good to revisit Nu Metal frequently.

My worst music take is Nu Metal is better than Grunge.

Is Nu Metal even really a genre? I dunno. It encapsulates everything from rap metal stuff to bad goth metal. I like Mudhoney and Alice In Chains but don't really like Pearl Jam or Soundgarden much anymore. I like Deftones and System of a Down but find Korn, Limp Bizkit, Deadsy, most any Family Values Your bands pretty goofy.

Jinh

Evil Bob posted:

i sure wasnt, im feeling a weird mix of shame and shame-adjacent emotions now.

i didn't really know korn existed until i was 16 or so and found them through internet radio, but...
when i was 12 i got my first boombox and first album, the edited walmart version of Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water. I thought this was the way My Generation was supposed to sound. tbh i still like this version better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX9MaCdqU5c

thanks so much cda <3

Escape From Noise

Jonathan Davis stubbing his toe: hhhhhhhump!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

Jinh posted:

i sure wasnt, im feeling a weird mix of shame and shame-adjacent emotions now.

i didn't really know korn existed until i was 16 or so and found them through internet radio, but...
when i was 12 i got my first boombox and first album, the edited walmart version of Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water. I thought this was the way My Generation was supposed to sound. tbh i still like this version better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX9MaCdqU5c

Me and the other delinquent kid at my elementary school would hook up a Walkman to lovely battery powered bookshelf speakers and blast this album in the back of the bus

Escape From Noise

Korn spelled their name with an upper case R in homage to the band's favorite store: Toys R Us

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you
i went to school with a dude who's last name was korn during the height of the dark times of nu-metal. he hated the music and also hated the association.

Escape From Noise

canyoneer posted:

i went to school with a dude who's last name was korn during the height of the dark times of nu-metal. he hated the music and also hated the association.

I understand that. I kind of hate Key and Peele for the same reason

Jinh

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Me and the other delinquent kid at my elementary school would hook up a Walkman to lovely battery powered bookshelf speakers and blast this album in the back of the bus

i was listening to this while making fun of the punk/gothy kid next to me on the bus (nicely, we were buds) for having patches of bands with goofy names, such as operation ivy, black flag, and rancid. :cripes:

he was so much cooler than me

thanks so much cda <3

Escape From Noise

Oh god. Rancid. High school me...

more falafel please

forums poster

man operation ivy still holds up

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Escape From Noise

more falafel please posted:

Yeah, but did they ever awkwardly croon about hhhhhhhumping?

Jinh

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Oh god. Rancid. High school me...

Blasted ruby soho every single day in my friend's jetta on the way to homeroom

take the moon

by sebmojo
i remember listening to minor threat in my high school library. its a real random memory and i dont listen to punk anymore unless its dance lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

take the moon

by sebmojo
linkin park were unironically good and chesters death was unironically a huge loss

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Macnult

take the moon posted:

i remember listening to minor threat in my high school library. its a real random memory and i dont listen to punk anymore unless its dance lol

minor threat rules

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

take the moon posted:

linkin park were unironically good and chesters death was unironically a huge loss

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

more falafel please

forums poster

i listened to that self titled op ivy album a couple weeks ago and I surprised myself about how much of it I still remember perfectly. I was a poser punk kid at best but that album absolutely slaps

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Escape From Noise

One time in college I was hanging out in my friend's dorm with some other guys and this guy put on Linkin Park. Nobody was really into it but were just kind of keeping mum until this guy Louis who had a really odd deadpan sense of humor was like "I never understood why this guy keeps singing "crawling in my poo poo". The guy playing the song was like "It's not poo poo it's skin." but Louis replied "Nope, pretty sure it's poo poo." They went back and forth but Louis just refused to concede that the lyrics said anything other than "crawling in my poo poo" until that guy got kind of angry and left. I guess it was kind of lovely but it sorta cracked me up. Well that's my Linkin Park story!

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 16, 2020

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
hzznvnnehfijgus so far away, when I feel the snake bite into my veeeeiiiiins

99% of the world has moved on to WAP. quote this if you're part of the 1% still rocking out to 64kbps realplayer format Godsmack

Prof. Crocodile

:hai:

Prof. Crocodile

Macnult posted:

minor threat rules

:hai:

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

barnold posted:

hzznvnnehfijgus so far away, when I feel the snake bite into my veeeeiiiiins

99% of the world has moved on to WAP. quote this if you're part of the 1% still rocking out to 64kbps realplayer format Godsmack

u should see my coal chamber winamp skin

Areola Grande

speaking of coal chamber this one always makes me laugh op

https://youtu.be/ydD6YJazPBw

missing that era when a feller could simply write a song about a big truck

tyvm Justa Dandelion and Ravenous Scoot

Khanstant

take the moon posted:

i hated them when they were hot poo poo, just overplayed and they bled into that soulless late 90s early 00s cultural void. even so, that guys growly whiny screams are permanently burned into my head, at the time they felt generic as hell but now I can better appreciate that guys voice. shame he dead because it would be interesting to see what music he would be making these days and i wonder what new music kids would be ft chester bennerton to get a signal boost

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

prepuce repurposed posted:

u should see my coal chamber winamp skin

whoa nice

Escape From Noise

barnold posted:

whoa nice

I...is this legal?

Finger Prince

Khanstant posted:

i hated them when they were hot poo poo, just overplayed and they bled into that soulless late 90s early 00s cultural void. even so, that guys growly whiny screams are permanently burned into my head, at the time they felt generic as hell but now I can better appreciate that guys voice. shame he dead because it would be interesting to see what music he would be making these days and i wonder what new music kids would be ft chester bennerton to get a signal boost

I never really hated them, but they were the poster children for a whole genre of suck, that they really didn't deserve being lumped in with.
And the stuff they sang about, like for real that's some serious poo poo that I think nobody wanted to deal with at the time, and even now tbh.
They expanded musically in their later stuff, and as Chester couldn't punish his vocal chords any longer, and a lot of fans were like boo you suck this isn't linkin park, which I kind of get, and a lot of artists would handle by expressing themselves in side projects, but is also really unfair.
I've definitely come to appreciate their stuff more now, removed from the cultural context of when it came out.

wearing a lampshade

Im not sure if listening to nu metal in my formative years was beneficial to my mental health or not but lets be real - life is peachy loving slaps

Areola Grande

Khanstant posted:

couldn't agree more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
weird opinion: godflesh is actually the one true nu-metal band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcuKN-H17aI

:megadeath:

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!