Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Linux Pirate posted:

Maybe I missed it, but what are the carnivore animals supposed to eat if they live side by side with herbivores?

They eat fish and birds since only mammals are anthropomorphic in the film universe. It's a better compromise than something like Kimba where they just bully all the other meat eaters into being vegetarians.

Also since there were no humans there are no domesticated animal species like dogs or housecats in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The fact that the predator/prey dynamic in Zootopia doesn't map 1/1 to any particular real world form of systemic oppression is the entire reason the movie works. Kids might need to discuss it with their parents to get that but I would hope an adult would recognize that and be able to explain it to them.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The predator thing works really well as an ableism metaphor, especially for mental health. There are people who through no fault of their own have a greater capacity to harm themselves and others but are also fully capable of living a safe and fulfilling life and there are people who would rather dehumanize them (literally, in the case of the berries that make the predators revert to a feral and bloodthirsty state against their will) and then use that to justify eliminating them from society for their own selfish ends instead of allowing them to be accommodated.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The art book for this movie rules because there's a bunch of worldbuilding detail in it, like how the desert area is next to the ice area because it uses the heat put out by the giant air conditioners or how all the cop gear uses polyurethane because there's no leather. Also it's weird that people act like the different amount of resources used by creatures of different sizes is some kind of plot hole when the entire ten minute long scam that they use to introduce Nick is built entirely around the fact that a single giant elephant popsicle has enough raw materials to make a small army's worth of lemming popsicles.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Gazelle has to be one of the most egregious examples of a character that continued to persist through drafts and rewrites long after any actual plot reason for them to exist had been excised. I'm assuming that there must have been some contractual agreement with Shakira that the character had to be in the film or one of the film's higher-ups was really attached to her because in the final film the only thing she actually does is perform in the concert that plays behind the credits but characters are regularly talking about how much they love her throughout the movie and they cut to videos of her introducing herself or commenting on major plot events a few times and they even had her featured in the movie posters over characters that actually play a major part in the movie.

Pick posted:

that said who the fucks idea was it to have the cops befriend the mafia?? again we're not going for realism here

But if they didn't we wouldn't get that hilarious Godfather parody :geno:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I wonder if when I was a kid adults were just as contemptuous at me laughing at "We don't need no stinking badgers!" in UHF and the Citizen Kane parodies in Tiny Toons and Animaniacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

W.T. Fits posted:

My favorite thing about Zootopia was realizing on a rewatch that the elephant at the nudist club wasn't trying to subvert the old "an elephant never forgets" stereotype, she was being deliberately uncooperative because she didn't want to catch trouble for aiding a police investigation into a missing client who has ties to organized crime.

So what you're saying is that if they had used more racial profiling they would have solved the case quicker.