Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think my computer screen is broken but maybe this is a common thing with a known fix.

My computer screen goes to black about 1 second after displaying an image. It's not technically completely black; if there's a bright shape, you may still be able to faintly see its outlines after the screen goes dark. The display is still on, it just seems like it's not lit or something.

I've tried connecting different cables but none of them work. Every time I turn the monitor on, there's an image for 1 second, then the screen goes dark with a faint, short, electrical buzz. Interestingly, the buzz is also there when you cycle through the different inputs (VGA, HDMI, etc.).

This all makes me believe that maybe there is just a single defective capacitor or something which can't properly bring power to allow components for more than a brief moment.

I know this description is very little to go on. But maybe this is a super known problem that's got an easy fix*.

Edit: It's a Samsung S2494HM, and a Google search shows that "2s image then dark" is a common fault, and it's either a transformer or some inverter that's the culprit. Maybe I can narrow it down further with a screwdriver and a multimeter and see if the part easy to source and replace.

* If not, that's okay too, it's an old screen from 2009 that has seen intensive wear. It's just that I have some free days where I wanted to dive in some games and I hadn't planned to spend large sums on a new one right now.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Okay I dismantled the monitor. The inside looks a bit different than the devices I could find pictures of, but I was able to pry away the PSU. At least visually everything seems to be intact, capacitors, fuse, and other components. No leaks, burns, or other signs of damage. Opened up some other parts but didn't actually manage to get to the backlight assembly.

Cursory search revealed that spare parts may take a week or two to get here and I don't want to stay without a screen that long, so I guess I'll skip trying to fix it and order a replacement.