Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I'm thrilled to announce the launch of this year's Master the Mainframe contest, run by IBM. It's our sixteenth year doing this, and it's grown from a small skunkworks project to a massive worldwide thing, attracting over 25,000 contestants last year. I'll also proudly point out that we've had a number of goon winners over the years, and now that we've launched and have worked out most of the opening-day jitters, I'm here to let you fine folks know about it.

So yes, mainframes. They're just big computers. This is a fully-configured z15, which is actually four 19" racks connected to one another.
https://twitter.com/heather_perrin/status/1172267048480755713
Behind those doors sit up to 190 processor cores, 40TB of redundantly-configured memory, an ungodly amount of PCIe interconnects, some crazy high-precision oscillators and power supplies, and more plumbing than your average house. (not me in photo)

This year, I'm in charge of writing the challenges and building some of the behind-the-scenes support code, so the whole thing is a bit different than previous years.

Before I get too much further, I'll also point out that this is No Experience Necessary. If you can navigate these forums, you can follow the challenges. We tell you everything you need to do to get started, and the difficulty ramps up as you finish the challenges.

Those challenges? We give you a mainframe ID and you do a bunch of stuff. Creating files, running programs, fixing problems. You get into the mainframe-specific stuff like JCL, Data Sets, MVS commands, Rexx, and of course COBOL, but you also get into Python, a lot of UNIX stuff, there's some Docker and Ansible as well, and you do most of it through VS Code, so no 3270 terminal (unless you really want to... it's on port 623, have fun)

Think of it like a big obstacle course running on a mainframe that we set up just for this. If you're a student, you can win prizes (mostly money because we can't send anybody anywhere), and anybody can win Acclaim badges for finishing main portions of the contest. You get until the end of the year to make your mark, and besides the sheer thrill of writing JCL and winning prizes, there are lots of employers who ask us for the Level 2/3 winners every year, so there's that too.

Please feel free to message me with any questions
CLAM DOWN said it's ok for me to post this, and I hope they still feel this way

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mod okayed and stickied! Awesome contest idea!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Oh boy, I've been looking for an opportunity to get back into writing COBOL after all these decades. Also sometimes I yearn for the sweet embrace of death.

Seriously though, there is a serious kick to be had out of manhandling a genuine behemoth like an IBM mainframe, and for young folks who didnt get the chance to grow up in a mainframe teaching environment theres some serious credibility to be added to the resume (as well as someinframe drat fine paying jobs potentially, something we all can appreciate in this trashbag economy) by learning the ropes of one of these computational godzillas.

(My first mainframe was the University of WA's Vax mainframe. You can now emulate it on a raspberry pi at dramatically better performance. Still at the time it was a beast.)

duck monster fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 18, 2020

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

duck monster posted:

Oh boy, I've been looking for an opportunity to get back into writing COBOL after all these decades. Also sometimes I yearn for the sweet embrace of death.

Seriously though, there is a serious kick to be had out of manhandling a genuine behemoth like an IBM mainframe, and for young folks who didnt get the chance to grow up in a mainframe teaching environment theres some serious credibility to be added to the resume (as well as someinframe drat fine paying jobs potentially, something we all can appreciate in this trashbag economy) by learning the ropes of one of these computational godzillas.

(My first mainframe was the University of WA's Vax mainframe. You can now emulate it on a raspberry pi at dramatically better performance. Still at the time it was a beast.)

This duck monster speaks the truth. Someone from these very forums pulled this off:
https://twitter.com/mainframed767/status/1301888504373207041

To be clear, he's mocking this guy:
https://twitter.com/brianroemmele/status/1257832168455208963?lang=en

who got a little ahead of himself, but is still an enlightening read

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh hey, I remember doing this years ago. I only did the part that got me a tshirt, but I put it in my resume and got a job writing COBOL. :v:

E: what the hell... how does vscode hook up to the mainframe? Is it just the Linux part of it? (Please don’t tell me that you can use ispf via vscode)

E2: lmao that they effectively replace rational developer for system z with a vscode extension

Phone fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 19, 2020

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Phone posted:

Oh hey, I remember doing this years ago. I only did the part that got me a tshirt, but I put it in my resume and got a job writing COBOL. :v:

E: what the hell... how does vscode hook up to the mainframe? Is it just the Linux part of it? (Please don’t tell me that you can use ispf via vscode)

E2: lmao that they effectively replace rational developer for system z with a vscode extension

heck yeah! It's the first time in years we haven't had to spend every minute telling people how to make their Function keys work, that they can't just click on ISPF options, how to remap their keyboard to get insert/enter/backspace, or why they can't resize their window.

It's not a 1:1 replacement for ISPF, there's still a lot of things you need that for, but this was the year to change the environment.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I participated in this contest a couple times when I was in school and got some cool t-shirts. Now I am a mainframe janitor and it's the best IT job I've had so far.

hitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

God, I really need to go through master the mainframe this year. I tapatap COBOL on VMS but got into it to work on IBM systems.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Astroid posted:

God, I really need to go through master the mainframe this year. I tapatap COBOL on VMS but got into it to work on IBM systems.

Nice. COBOL is definitely a language that does not mess around. I know enough of it to respect it, and seeing what the pros can do with very few lines of code is quite amazing. Let me know if I can help with anything if you attempt it again this year.

SamDabbers posted:

I participated in this contest a couple times when I was in school and got some cool t-shirts. Now I am a mainframe janitor and it's the best IT job I've had so far.

:respek:

The curve is steep, but the view is nice.

Did you get the Dark Side of the Mainframe shirt? That was my personal favorite

Three Mainframe Moon was a good one too

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 30, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
At a high level, what kind of questions/problems do you work through in this contest?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Hughmoris posted:

At a high level, what kind of questions/problems do you work through in this contest?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. In order, you download vscode and install the mainframe plugins to get connected to our system. Then you do some stuff with files (data sets and members), run some jobs and look at the output (JCL), and then log into the UNIX side of things to touch things from the command line. Then it gets into some more modern methods of touching files with ZOUA through Python.

That's the first half of it. From there, you start loading and managing data into a VSAM data set (kind of a hybrid file/database construct) using a command line utility (Zowe CLI), write some stuff in REXX (an amazing scripting language), some other stuff in COBOL (nowhere near as difficult as people make it out to be), and then do a whole bunch of stuff with Ansible.

The final grand challenge is mostly open-ended. You pick something from what you saw and build something of your own. If you hand in *anything*, you finish Level 3 and get that badge. If you're a student and create something amazing, you're eligible to win the grand challenge and get fame and fortune.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

an AOL chatroom posted:

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. In order, you download vscode and install the mainframe plugins to get connected to our system. Then you do some stuff with files (data sets and members), run some jobs and look at the output (JCL), and then log into the UNIX side of things to touch things from the command line. Then it gets into some more modern methods of touching files with ZOUA through Python.

That's the first half of it. From there, you start loading and managing data into a VSAM data set (kind of a hybrid file/database construct) using a command line utility (Zowe CLI), write some stuff in REXX (an amazing scripting language), some other stuff in COBOL (nowhere near as difficult as people make it out to be), and then do a whole bunch of stuff with Ansible.

The final grand challenge is mostly open-ended. You pick something from what you saw and build something of your own. If you hand in *anything*, you finish Level 3 and get that badge. If you're a student and create something amazing, you're eligible to win the grand challenge and get fame and fortune.

Awesome, thanks for the write up.

I know this competition is mainly for academics and the eager young minds of tomorrow. Is there a good entry point in to the world of mainframe computing after this competition for us old people in other careers? Or in your experience do people mainly go down that path while in school?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Hughmoris posted:

Awesome, thanks for the write up.

I know this competition is mainly for academics and the eager young minds of tomorrow. Is there a good entry point in to the world of mainframe computing after this competition for us old people in other careers? Or in your experience do people mainly go down that path while in school?

These days, I’ve seen most hires happen with minimal education beforehand. They get hired and then get a few months of training.

For education, I really like the Z Trials demos because they give your a real live (emulated) mainframe and some instructions to see how the products work. They only last like 3-5 days, but it’s a full system and you can re-request the system if you want to try again. https://www.ibm.com/it-infrastructure/z/software-trials

There’s a course on Coursera (taught by me!) that’s alright, but needs an update. It’s also not free.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

This is really cool going to share internally and with some girls code groups i'm on.

I'll also speak up and say the Z trials are pretty nice -- used them to try out node on z (it's a thing!)

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

adaz posted:

This is really cool going to share internally and with some girls code groups i'm on.

I'll also speak up and say the Z trials are pretty nice -- used them to try out node on z (it's a thing!)

Yes!! Thank you, and let me know if there’s anything I can do to help. I have many strings to pull. Please don’t hesitate to ask. I love the Z trials, I only wish they lasted a bit longer.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

an AOL chatroom posted:

Nice. COBOL is definitely a language that does not mess around. I know enough of it to respect it, and seeing what the pros can do with very few lines of code is quite amazing. Let me know if I can help with anything if you attempt it again this year.

There is no such thing as a COBOL program with 'very few lines of code'.

Its got to be the most verbose language I've ever countered, like take pascals verbosity and multiply it by ten. Only NATURAL-4G comes close imho

The only thing its really missing is INTERCALs politeness operators (So yeah, you don't have to use PLEASE and THANKYOU commands lol. But I'm sure they considered it!)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

an AOL chatroom posted:

This duck monster speaks the truth. Someone from these very forums pulled this off:
https://twitter.com/mainframed767/status/1301888504373207041

To be clear, he's mocking this guy:
https://twitter.com/brianroemmele/status/1257832168455208963?lang=en

who got a little ahead of himself, but is still an enlightening read

When my grandfather, who was an old VAX fanatic, was dying I had a project to build a tiny little vax mainframe on a beagleboard (a predecessor of the Pi). I was gonna build a case out of balsa and everything. Sadly the old boy succumbed to his cancer before i really got anywhere into the project.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

duck monster posted:

There is no such thing as a COBOL program with 'very few lines of code'.

Its got to be the most verbose language I've ever countered, like take pascals verbosity and multiply it by ten. Only NATURAL-4G comes close imho

The only thing its really missing is INTERCALs politeness operators (So yeah, you don't have to use PLEASE and THANKYOU commands lol. But I'm sure they considered it!)

You have two tools at your disposal: IFs and PERFORM-VARYINGs.

(there's so many god drat moves)

That said, 88 levels rule and is probably one of my favorite features of COBOL.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

an AOL chatroom posted:

heck yeah! It's the first time in years we haven't had to spend every minute telling people how to make their Function keys work, that they can't just click on ISPF options, how to remap their keyboard to get insert/enter/backspace, or why they can't resize their window.

It's not a 1:1 replacement for ISPF, there's still a lot of things you need that for, but this was the year to change the environment.

drat that looks nice. Too bad I can't configure my test z system with everything required to use it.

I wish I'd known about this back when I was learning the z-specific portion of my job, I would up learning a bunch through trial and error and bugging people with simple questions. You'd be surprised where z/OS can turn up in various jobs/organizations. I never expected to work with it as a Java programmer but here we are.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Phone posted:

That said, 88 levels rule and is probably one of my favorite features of COBOL.

Yes! It's such a bizarre thing, but SO freaking useful

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

the 88 thing is weirdly forward looking for a language like Cobol. I mean its basically the mutant love child of pattern matching and enums.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

holy poo poo there is a vscode extension to work with now?

I did the 2019 edition to start learning about mainframes after I had a chat with one of my professors about it, and there is something really appealing for me about mainframes which I think is similar to how trucks are appealing to some drivers hahaha

a question, though: now that I am back to a more regular schedule of study, my professor suggested to me that I stick with learning it since I have this interest, which is rare nowadays in his opinion. Given how mainframe operation and programming isn't in the forefront of what people think about working with computer nowadays, I agree, but I have no idea how long it takes to land a job in that specialization. Any thoughts?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Yup! It's not a panacea, though, there's a lot of ISPF/SDSF stuff that you can't get to through the extension. We went with the VSCode extension this year because there have been big advances in what you *can* do with it, but realtalk, to run the contest, we have to provide a method for 25k contestants around the world to connect. The lone free Mac 3270 client, tn3270, depended on the Carbon framework to run in a mixed 32/64-bit mode, and the OS is 64-bit only now.

Ideally, we'd be able to introduce people to the platform using vscode, and then bring in 3270 for more advanced topics, since that's what people will be using in their jobs, it's just a matter of how to make that happen in a way that doesn't result in doing PC tech support for half of the people.

You can also connect to the current MTM using 3270, it's on port 623, same IP and credentials.

I did the 2019 edition to start learning about mainframes after I had a chat with one of my professors about it, and there is something really appealing for me about mainframes which I think is similar to how trucks are appealing to some drivers hahaha

a question, though: now that I am back to a more regular schedule of study, my professor suggested to me that I stick with learning it since I have this interest, which is rare nowadays in his opinion. Given how mainframe operation and programming isn't in the forefront of what people think about working with computer nowadays, I agree, but I have no idea how long it takes to land a job in that specialization. Any thoughts?

Having the skills is definitely a differentiation. There are companies looking to hire fresh-faced mainframers (which hasn't always been the case) and Master the Mainframe has always been a good measurement of how interested/capable people are in the platform. I'd suggest researching any role's trajectory, though. I've seen positions that were basically "Bill is the only person who knows how to keep everything running, Bill is retiring, we need a new Bill", and unless you're super-skilled and getting huge bucks, seems like a good way to get depressed. Make sure you're looking at jobs where you're part of a team, and that there's a strategic direction forward for the mainframe platform.

I'd say two months of "an hour or two every night" working your way through an online course, book, or set of tutorials about the core pillars (CICS, IMS, z/OS, RACF, SMP/E) will give you more than enough to let an employer know you're serious.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Unstickied per an AOL chatroom's request!

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Is there going to be a 2021 mtm? I participated years and years ago and didn't get far, but still got a cool tshirt out of it. Now I'm long since out of school, but would be willing to go back for some classes just to try this out again. My resume could use a boost

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Combine a knowledge of mainframes and cobol with a knowledge of Java and there is an infinite amount of work out there on projects porting old hosed up mainframe software to new hosed up mainframe software. You'll hate life by 30! You'll be paid enough to develop an expensive drug habit to offset that fear and loathing. Win win!

duck monster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 5, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Just saw this, took an interest and discovered it's still around as seemingly a year round thing now called IBM ZXplore. Couple challenges in and loving it so far.

https://www.ibm.com/it-infrastructure/z/education/zxplore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

still have my Master The Mainframe '06 shirt :c00l: