Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If I were voting in person I'd absolutely call the cops to remove these people for voter intimidation.

Poll Watchers are absolutely a thing. They don't do anything but watch.

Trump's cultists will absolutely cause problems, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
There's someone out there who went into a coma before 2016, came out in 2018, spend two years in therapy trying to get control of their body again, and today just got access to a phone and learned what has happened in the years since.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Look at that loving big gulp

That's US. That's america, right there.

I hate this loving country

Centuries of brilliant, kind, brave people fighting to try and make the country stand for what it says it does, versus cruel idiots and wanna-be lords

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 18, 2020

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I hate everything about Trump, but the thing I hate the most is how much he's made me hate my countrymen.

I spent a lot of time in poor, rural areas. The suffering I saw inspired me to change careers. I talked to people there and found common interests and got them to look at things through a different lens, to see how things could be so much different if just even a small amount of stuff was done. Distributing power just a little bit, making things a bit fairer, bringing back things that we used to have, they could change peoples lives drastically. Diffuse the power grid, build more rail, things like postal banking and guaranteed child care, actual health care that works like other countries! People just limp around with medical problems that they never have looked at because they can't afford it. Addiction is rampant and the only treatment is a 12 step program under some church every other tuesday. These people can't get a loving loan for anything. Towns are literally disappearing as everyone leaves and the ones left kill themselves either on drugs or on purpose.

But now? Those places are full of Trump flags. They hate me. They love Trump because he makes people like me mad. He's done gently caress all for them but let them be the worst they can be and they love him for it. These people used to be victims in my mind, fellow Americans that had been beaten down by the same systems that crush the whole world. Now they're enemies. The things I want to see, for them, for a more just world, can only be gotten by going through them because they no longer see people like me as part of America. Facebook's convinced them people like me want to traffic children to elites who eat them, when people like me have been trying to deal with actual, real human trafficking for decades. Giant flags with "NO MORE BULLSHIT," when Trump's said nothing but bullshit for 5 years. But I know what the bullshit is in their mind, it's trying to reckon with the nation's history of racism and inequality. It's worrying about leaving a habitable earth. It's even pretending to care about people who aren't like you.

The bullshit is the stuff that's needed to make this world a better place. Trump's made a political movement of shedding any pretense of decency, of embracing ignorance and finding a way to hate the people who share the country with you even though you never meet them. But now I hate them now, too. I hate those flags, I hate those run down houses, I hate those tiny towns with shuttered main streets. I hate meth mouth, I hate junk filled yards, I hate fat people with bug gulps, I hate raised pickups, I hate it all. I want them to curl up and disappear already, because life has passed them by and instead of trying to catch up they want to drag it backwards.

I don't like it. I hate what I've become, too.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

He's flat out saying in the open that he wants a public option. I know it's a baby step but that's a somewhat big deal.

The public option was supposed to be part of the ACA, but Joe Lieberman loving killed it. I'm not surprised that's the moderate dem position now.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

why the gently caress does anyone care what this gently caress says to begin with. at least Shapiro went to Harvard or something? this dude failed out of community college

That Mercer Money

Or is it Koch? I forget which one bankrolls that organization.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Man... white people are really a scourge huh

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1307037320042995713?s=20
it's gonna own if trumo rolls out a bunch of aid and social program funding to try to bribe the election and still loses

IT'S BEEN LIKE 4 YEARS

WHAT THE gently caress?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Rasmussen is just goin' for it now huh

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

America didn't want this. America didn't want any of this.

But the minority can rule. So we get dragged along.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

LabyaMynora posted:

Yup, like a true fascist, McConnell’s plan was to create a crisis - federal courts crippled due to a lack of judges - so that he could provide the solution when there was a GOP president - nuke the same filibuster he used to create the crisis.

Reid’s choice was to let him, while federal cases languished on the docket for years, and then McConnell gets to fill even more seats, or preemptively nuke it so that there were at least a significant number of Obama appointees in the courts.

Right now people are going to both sides this poo poo to death, but, if there’s a future, historians are going to recognize McConnell as the vandal of the institutions of the U.S. Senate.

McConnell is a like... empire destroying villain. He made the senate a non-functioning part of government. He's an awful human being and I hate how good people die early but people like him live forever.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Shanghaied posted:

The Senate is functioning exactly as intended lol. An un-elected, unrepresentative chamber designed to protect the Presidency and the Republic from the stupid plebs and their dumb idea of popular democracy. Quite a number of Founding Fathers wanted to make senators sit for life (looking at you, Hamilton). The cooling saucer of democracy lol. After all, if you let the poor decide, there's the risk that they may decide to take your stuff. Can't let that happen, can we?

Sure, but things like "voting on laws" and "confirming judges" were things it was, you know, supposed to do. It was supposed to be an anti-democratic body, sure, but it had role in government that McConnell realized he could just make it not do.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Stoatbringer posted:

Trump - tough, strong, muscly, compassionate.
Biden - somehow weak and useless and yet at the same also dangerous, malicious and scheming.

Nothing has encapsulated the conspiracy theorist -> fascist pipeline as much as Garrison has. Dude used to make comics about how cops are bad and how you shouldn't listen to state propaganda, and now he's making cartoons where the president says "Your homework is to love your country" and it's portrayed as a good thing. It makes sense, fascists are consumed by ideas of plots and secret societies and people pulling strings behind the scenes, and the globalist overlords are basically just the jews from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion; especially now that Q has added the adrenochrome stuff which is just blood libel with a different name. The right wing conspiracy theorist's theoretical aversion and anger at authoritarianism comes from a belief the power wielded is invalid, not that wielding that power is wrong.

So when someone comes and talks about shadowy figures behind everything, of course they'll come along, wherever it leads. They always did, the SS were surprised at the lack of piles of gold in the houses of the poor jewish villagers they exterminated. They are ruled by fear, and when someone tells them their fears are valid and they're going to make them go away, that's all they need. They'll cheer for anything as long as you tell them it's stopping the people they think are behind it all.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 19, 2020

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
god I hate him so much

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Who cares about "LAWS" anyway!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Stryder posted:

Holy poo poo, Sleepy Joe actually provided the first genuine LOL of the weekend!?

It's actually funny, I agree. That cut and music swell is well done.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Fox needs to be destroyed. This is just ridiculous.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

https://twitter.com/OhNoSheTwitnt/status/1307280515310014464

these people truly are dumb and do not understand anything at all.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone miss a point that badly.

Also everyone got mad at Kennedy for retiring. People thought it was hosed up and weirdly timed.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I like how this is election talk now, "we're pretty sure the president is trying to steal the election." I mean, his path to victory was always another win by the margins while losing the popular vote by even more; even with the most generous of interpretations all this talk he's making and all the stuff Barr's saying is voter suppression.

I guess it comes down to what happens. Unlike recounts, the law is absolutely solid about all votes being counted. Their gamble is to cut off counting mailed in ballots after election day, hoping that they'll be able to get a lead then stop the count, but so far they've won none of those cases. They could, of course, just break the law, which they've already been willing to do with DACA and appointments, but would they risk destroying everything by using state force to stop counts? I donno. That's a "I guess it comes down to what the military does" scenario.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

canyoneer posted:

It's amazing that people can experience extreme life and death struggles and still be so gleeful about pulling up the ladder behind them.

That quote about the key that makes evil people evil is a lack of empathy gets truer all the time. People can experience horrifying hardship, but never go "what if this happens to someone else?" They just... can't get there.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Catastrophe posted:

Remember when candidates would accuse others of "mudslinging" in previous elections because the other person said something like "My opponent is WEAK on environmental concerns!" ?

And now we have this orange sweaty ape saying "Stupid Sleepy Joe is sooooooo unintelligent that he's going to burn your God and get drugs up his rear end" *shakily tries to drink water but then just throws it on the floor instead* and people hoot and holler and cheer because of how cool they think it is now.

Devo was right about de-evolution.

I mean, back in the day you'd get poo poo like this too. The early elections were nasty. And there's all sorts of famous ads that basically say "my opponent will kill you," wether it's "my opponent let a black murderer out of prison" to Daisy, where it cuts from a little girl playing to a nuclear explosion and is like "don't trust Goldwater, he will do this"

Trump is just so goddamn stupid now he doesn't know how to imply stuff, so he just says insane poo poo and his cult of assholes laps it up.

Speaking of the cult of assholes, when did every right winger become a goddamn 13 year old troll? That VA GOP tweet is just "U MAD?" Like come the gently caress on! Is this the inevitable result of online communication when you can't get banned for being bad at it?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I re-read Tails Gets Trolled yesterday and seriously, I had forgotten that trolling was something different than right wing discourse. I made the connection between Sartre's description of the Anti-Semite trying to devalue communication and truth and trolling, but then just forgot about the distinct phenomenon of lovely trolls that poo poo up everywhere they went. Cause that's how fuckin' Ted Cruz posts on twitter now, too.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

They can't pretend they didn't know they were doing something wrong, either. They dispersed when security was like 'cmon'

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i used to get trolled but i found out a way to stop it. i do all kinds of stupid republican poo poo. they can't troll you if you dress up as a maga and vote for them. i don't like doing it but it works

I'm so mad. i'm gonna go watch the poolboy have sex with my wife so i won't be so mad

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Crazy Nancy and the Do Nothing Democrats want to impeach my perfectly normal AG!

Trump's AG: MEN, NEW YORK CITY HAS FALLEN TO THE ANARCHISTS. WE MUST PULL OUR FUNDING, IT IS ONLY WASTED THERE

DO NOT DISOBEY ME! ALL POWER IS VESTED IN THE ATTORNEY GENERAL! YOU ARE MERELY PAWNS!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Which they're allowed to do because of Mel Gibson and a bunch of right wing lunatics demanding the FDA not regulate vitamins in the early 90s. So it's a lightning rod for chuds and libertarians.

Yeah, the supplements grift hits hard all over, but religious right stuff and right wing conspiracy guys are all up in that business.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Trump using faithless electors to hold on to power would be the ultimate... god, are they really gonna do this?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Christ. I'm shook man

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Loden Taylor posted:

yeah strap the gently caress in because the days between the election and the inauguration are going to be fuckin nuts

probably every day after that too, with increasing severity, until we're all dead

Like, there's rational legal strategies for a campaign that knows it's going to win in a squeaker; getting ready to make challenges and recounts, stuff like that. Some of what was described in that article can, if applying the most generous of lenses, be described like that. But a lot seems straight up "we are planning on stealing this." Election Day Operations that rely on the lack of the consent decree? What does that mean other than planning on sending people to harass voters? What possible reason would there be to talk about how the Electors will vote?

This is... insane poo poo.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

hilariously, this is the most constitutional way to steal the election they’ve proposed yet

Imagine destroying the country for TRUMP

Imagine invalidating democracy in america for loving TRUMP

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

This is either insane or an articulated wish to become a dictator.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

What's the difference

It's either "I will win, unless there are a deluge of fake votes," which is insane.

Or it's "We don't need votes, I should just continue being president," which is a stated goal of being a dictator.

Keltar posted:

He see's how Putin and others can do whatever they want and wonders why he can't do the same. You know he wants what they got, total power.

Yeah, there's a reason we've suddenly started getting along with every nation that has a dictator in power; Trump thinks they're cool and wishes he could do what they do.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Half the poo poo he says is trolling and everyone bites.

The president should not be trolling about whether or not he will accept the results of an election

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

Why the gently caress does a private citizen, an Austrian born immigrant bodybuilder action movie star no less, have to nut up and pay out of their own pocket so people can effectively exercise their right to vote? The gently caress America?

This is it. This is my crack ping moment.

BRB going to check my house for a gas leak, this poo poo can't be real I am hallucinating.

"Everyone is allowed to vote" is explicitly not a constitutional ideal. We have always sought to disenfranchise groups, and only through great sacrifice and strange coalitions have we managed to expand the "can vote" column to the point where it's actually a right of every citizen. Even then we can take it away, it's not guaranteed.

We weren't set up fairly. We're fighting to make it fair and the people who rely on it being not fair don't like it and aren't interested in that happening. So they do everything they can to fight it, clawing back their tools of disenfranchisement whenever they can.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 24, 2020

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Last election people were hoping that there would be faithless electoral votes for Clinton. But everyone laughed at that. Now it's a real threat because Trump is openly trying to steal the election.

Yeah on one hand, the idea that faithless electors would swing the election is extremely far fetched. But on the other, that the Trump campaign seems to be looking at them is spooky.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
If it's anything like the last time, it'll be the Boogs trying to start poo poo. Or they shot each other.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Harald posted:

well people did pokemon go to the polls but it turns out we have this thing called the electrical college which boils down to: republicans always win.

dems need to abolish it but lol,

It's really remarkable once you look at how completely broken that election was. Trump didn't lose by a couple thousand votes and win the electoral college, he lost by 3 million. There's never been anything like it in the history of the US, where someone is crushed in the popular vote, yet wins.

It's really not up to the dems to abolish it, honestly, it'll be a constitutional amendment; which will require the states that are controlled by the party that benefits from it to vote to get rid of it. People don't like the EC, but the power brokers know it's one of the best tools for minority government there is. That's why we failed to get rid of it in the 70s, southern senators knew that without it they'd lose a ton of power.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Knot My President! posted:

My neoconservative uncle that shares racist and classicist Facebook memes all day messaged me to tell me he has abandoned the GOP and realized his "progressive" friends were right about everything all along lol

If this is real I'd love to know how he got out, cause Facebook seems to be a radicalization engine because of how it shows you poo poo.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

Is there any chance that 40% of the US has undiagnosed brain tumors? At this point I kind of need this to be true to retain my grip on sanity.

No they're lead poisoned and been fed a steady diet of the most refined propaganda the world has ever known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Knot My President! posted:

His daughter is an international consultant of some kind with a master's that focused on global politics and is extremely smart, so that might have had something to do with it. He moved to Germany to be closer to her as well (they're both US citizens) and I'd imagine the real-life interactions with people that aren't my extended neocon family puts stuff into a more realistic perspective.

He mentioned that at some point he just saw the unrelenting torrent of abhorrent poo poo the administration is doing and realized you just can't keep making excuses for that behavior. There isn't a unified "left" trying to make Trump and his cabinet look bad, it's a bunch of people bringing up a bunch of different stuff that he's loving up. There's no "liberal" conspiracy theory to be had.

Also, most conservative talking points can be dismissed with logic kindergarteners can comprehend, which is perfect for worn out conservatives that have exhausted all their strengths from mental gymnastics over the last four years.

Oh, literally moving out of the country will fuckin' do it.