Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Jose posted:

Lol Boris Johnson is waiting for the election hoping that trump wins do he can sell the UK to the us otherwise he'll have to do a trade deal with the eu first

The thing is, is doesn't even make sense internally.

A trade deal with the US would take years, and would be terrible for us because we'd have gently caress all leverage.

But even if we did, America is still on the other side of the Atlantic. Europe is and will remain our biggest trading partner by sheer geography. We absolutely must make a deal with them.

I know, I get it. Boris is a trump-lite narcissist who thinks he can bluster his way out of trouble.

But this! Surely reality must sometimes peel around the edges and wave for his attention. It's crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Jarf posted:

As a britgoon I am also thoroughly pissed off with the direction of our country and don't really talk to my Tory/Brexit voting father much :smith:

I thank God my mum and dad are life-long lefties who wouldn't vote for a Tory at gun-point.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

'Bama'?

Shorthand for Alabama? :shrug:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

hey serious question for non-americans itt: how is everyone else reacting to this shitshow where our president is refusing to concede and all the rest? like is it the same half, ‘oh my god this guy is so stupid it hurts ahhhh’ and half, ‘this poo poo is pretty loving scary what the gently caress, america?’ that we have here?

South Korea are apparently now "Lol, these clowns" now.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/12/02/the-us-is-no-longer-a-more-developed-country-than-us-442407

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

COME ON GOONS, GET TO PAGE 4500 FOR OUR BIG PRESIDENT (for the next 90 minutes)

I'M DOING MY PART!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

But wait, what's that I hear in the distance?

Bah God!!! THAT'S DONALD TRUMPS MUSIC.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Goddamn that State capital is (appropriately) Gotham as gently caress.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

old beast lunatic posted:

I imagine the guy following trump around with the football in mar-a-lago just looked at his watch and wandered off

"Weeeeeell, if no-one else is going to use it.....Maybe if I just nuked somewhere small, like Monaco, just to say I did."

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

pixaal posted:

Could someone even get by with all cash in 2021.

Looks like someones about to find out.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Help me Qanon-Kenobi, you're my only hope."

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

pro starcraft loser posted:

Its like they don't understand they can vote for someone else with an R by their name.

But then the libs would win you see, so can't have that happen. :shrug:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

ruddiger posted:

My libertarian coworker tried to make it sound like AOC and Ted Cruz were teaming up as opposed to Cruz trying to ride the wave.

Worst. Rom-com. Ever.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Nice try America, but we've killed over 100k in the UK. Adjusting for population size we've easily surpassed what would be the equivalent of 500k deaths in the USA.

It's another glorious victory for dear old Blighty and the unique leadership of Boris Johnson. :colbert:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I assume this is from Russia, and everybody's drunk?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Say what did happen with the Mypillow guy video?

Wasn't it supposed to be released friday.

Did it just sink without trace.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

His "3 hour's of absolute proof of fraud" video turned out to only be 2 hours and contained absolutely no proof of fraud. It was then removed from Vimeo, Twitter and Youtube. I believe it is currently up on some minor alt-right video hosting service but it'll probably come down there too after Dominion finds out about it.

Ah, of course. Understandably nobody wants to be added as a Co-respondent to those billion dollar lawsuits coming down the line.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Uuhhhhhhhh.....You might want to rethink that.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Steadiman posted:

That actually seems to be the argument they're gonna go with (just making sure they got there okay, then coming right back to deal with the crisis)

I assume he's been telling people about flying of for a break since Xmas, his staff have been telling everyone for weeks he won't be around this week, etc etc.

Fortunately this lie only has to fly on Tucker Carlson's show/in RWM where it will be treated with gravitas and 'Of course a real man flies his family out to the arrival airport, then comes straight back. That's a real thing that happens'

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hazo posted:

He's already admitted it was a spontaneous trip provoked by the dastardly feminine wiles of his crafty daughter

Ah well. No blame can be attached to him then.

Another victim of the FemiNazi CommieMatriarchy.

We are powerles before the crushing stilettos of their treachery. :argh:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

I know this is a politics thread but for anyone interested, the rover landing is happening in just over an hour.

Live stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm0b_ijaYMQ

Or come to the spaceflight thread in SAL. (We have peanuts.)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990

Oh neat. I'd missed this, thanks.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Remember as always with these headlines, 'Facing (X)year sentence' is a theoretical maximum that's extremely unlikely to be close to the actual sentence.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Loden Taylor posted:

But there's a power company you can hook up with that will charge you the wholesale kw/hr rate with a $9.99 monthly fee, and those are the people getting screwed.

Am I correct in assuming this sort of thing isn't legal outside Texas precisely because such a thing can happen? But Texas gonna' Tex'.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Last Call posted:

Not with Milo, he's now claiming he's gone straight! Someone better tell his husband that.

Guessing he's so in debt that he has to get back on the grift train somehow.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I got my shot yesterday and have been feeling moderately 'Flu-y' since last night, which is apparently extremely common with the AstraZeneca vaccine.

As far as I'm concerned provoking an immune reaction just tells me it's working and I'll be fine in a day or two*

*Of course if I never post in this thread again, it's because I'm dead, murdered by Bill Gates nano-machines!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

learnincurve posted:

You can see the block heel on his right foot there, people not used to heels lean forward which make me think this a recent thing and purely about him making himself look “6 ft 3” When Obama is 6ft 1.

Don't forget in the unlikely event he ever was actually that tall, and you know he added an inch or two and rounded up, a man that age will have lost a couple of inches of height anyway. In his stocking feet he probably cracks 6 foot now at best.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cable companies pay a yearly flat fee per subscriber to the network owners to provide access to their channels..

You know where sometimes you hear Cable company x is no longer providing channel y. That's usually an arguement over money, and the network is trying to put on pressure for leverage. It usually get's quietly resolved.

Historically Fox news has managed to screw sweetheart deals for themselves from the cable providers.

To the point that those fees are the bread and butter of their business, and the advertising fees are practically just a nice bonus.

Now they still want that money obviously. But they don't need it.

And if they think Carlson is bringing in the viewers, and consequently the subscribers. He is unfortunately pretty much bulletproof when it comes to advertising boycotts.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Looking forward to the inevitable escalation for attention.

"Vote for me in 2022 and I will break into your house and stab your family in front of you."

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Indeed a rare lapse in Trumps paying off of debts and expressing concern for others, not least his biggest supporters.

Smh.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lodin posted:

This is absolutely something Youtube only does to Americans and nobody can convince me otherwise. Like I'm the one who posted the stupid video and yet checking the recommendations on Youtube it's all just cute animals, music videos from the 70s and 80s and Jim Elisabeth Sterling.
Same with Twitter. I've never seen any horrible right wing poo poo there that wasn't re-tweeted by someone I follow.

:britain: here. Literally just thought the same thing, moments before reading this. Yeah, I'm sure I could skew the algorithm If I went hard to deliberately do so, but yeah watching the odd video that comes up in these threads doesn't instantly paradigm shift my rec' feed either.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hazo posted:

Nobody wants the Astra-Zeneca version because it makes you feel like poo poo and also might kill you and has already been banned from a bunch of Euro countries

They paused it in a few countries while they checked, turns out it's fine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56440139

I had the AZ vaccine myself last week, felt bit 'Flu-y' the next day, then was fine.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Last Call posted:

Trump Supporters Turn On Him Over COVID-19 Vaccine In Uncomfortable CNN Segment

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/oklahoma-diner-coronavirus-shot-090301890.html

The coronavirus vaccine may be in short supply in much of the nation, but there are some communities where it’s a much harder sell, as CNN’s Gary Tuchman learned during a trip to Oklahoma.

In Boise City, Tuchman entered a diner and asked if anyone in the room was ready for the shot. In a county where 92 percent voted for former President Donald Trump in November, Tuchman’s query was met with silence. Not even Trump’s endorsement of the vaccine made a difference.

“Trump is a liberal New Yorker,” one Trump voter declared. “Why would we listen to him either?”

Another diner flat-out said “no” when asked if Trump’s endorsement would get him to take the vaccine.

Other diners rejected both science and government. Tuchman found much the same attitude elsewhere in the community.

Well I'd say "Good luck dying!" but it's because of idiots like these that the inevitable big mutations are going to have time to occur and Covid's going to become The Plague 2.0. Endemic for centuries until when we've had sufficent generations of the most vulnerable dying from it creating a genetic resistance.

Honestly vaccination has become a victim of it's own success. People have just forgotten losing a quarter of your schoolmates growing up would be perfectly normal attrition.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

IDK if you wonderful people realize this, but at one point in time the bozo clown from The Apprentice was the actual president of the actual United States. Of America.

That can't be true.

Somebody else would have noticed that earlier, and whatever amusing mistake that caused it would immediately have been corrected.

It would have been a fun moment for one of those end of year retrospective shows though. "Hey remember that time Trump was accidentally made President for 5 minutes back in January!"

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 21, 2021

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

ford slipped and fell on a wet ramp exiting airforce 1 in 1975... chevy chase did a bit about it.

Wasn't just a one-off bit. He turned it into a regular, and famous, ongoing shtick on SNL.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Why on Earth wouldn't they just claim Putin's taking the extremely well-tested and effective I'm sure, Russian vaccine. Regardless of the truth. It's not like Russian media's going to call him out on a lie.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

canyoneer posted:

It's happened before at least twice. Bullets slow down in the air more than jet fighters, so you can fly into your own bullets.

Sounds like this was more a near immediate premature detonation as/after it left the barrel and doing shrapnel damage rather than diving into it's bullet stream.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Polio Vax Scene posted:

why the gently caress does ted cruz of all people need to make merchandise, does being a senator not pay you enough buddy

Branding, PR, and publicly 'Owning the libs'. It's all performative.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

Any olds in the SCOTUS that look like they might croak before Biden is out? Can the court be swung left without the Dems growing a spine and expanding the number of seats?

Bryer is the oldest at 82 and doesn't seem in any hurry to retire, of course he was appointed by Clinton so that's a wash on balance of the court.

Your best bet is Clarence Thomas at 72 who is rapidly approaching his 30th year on the court. But much like Scalia, he's not voluntary retiring under any president. He's there till the grim reaper limits his term.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hazo posted:

I don't know if this is still the case since I haven't followed the Right-Wing Media thread in years, but there was definitely a time during Obama where each morning, actual memos were sent out to Fox, Rush, Hannity, Beck, O'Reilly, AM Radio, etc. with specific talking points and instructions on how to spin them.

That was definitely a Roger Ailes era Fox thing, where he would direct the talking points for the day at Fox and that would rapidly get picked up by outside rightwing media. I don't know if that carried on once he was forced out. I definitely have the impression Hannity and Tucker are both 'Too big to fail' at Fox news now and aren't really answerable to anyone but the voices in their head at this point.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

old beast lunatic posted:

Chuds are doing their best to create some Hell variant of covid and no country deserves it more than us lol

Brazil is going full 'Hold my beer', don't count them out of the race for MegaCovid yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intenstity" is going to be the epitaph of our species.