Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Hello thread. Trump is president and said and I quote "I'm speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I've said a lot of things..."

The president has good brain, absolutely wet from the standpoint of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

TheAardvark posted:

jose is a bitch and Sarah sanders will NEVER peg him

Does...does that mean she pegged you?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Who What Now posted:

They've put on the Potara Earrings and have fused to become Obiden. Not be confused with Bidema, which is the result of the fusion dance.

Is that why the Trump arc has felt so goddamned long? What are we on now episode 1000 and we didn't even get to his second term yet.

(Also obligatory "Covid Deaths are over 90000!" joke)

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Oh poo poo son, it’s on now. They’re about to RISE UP!

I got about three quarters out of my chair before sliding back down again that's how angry I am.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Every study/thing people do always proves how much white men suck.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Still going with Sleepy Joe huh?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Pick posted:

It sounds pleasant

It honestly makes Joe Biden sounds way more well meaning than I think Trump wants. When I hear Sleepy I think Smurf or the cutest of the seven dwarves. Just completely adorable.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Ah good morning all! I had the best night's sleep of my life, now to catch up with the thread.

:) 400 new posts.

:| wait.

:( wait what.

>: ( the gently caress did I tell you about getting your loving poo poo together America. Fuuuuuuuuck.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Comedy Republican option for the Supreme Court: Tucker Carlson so he can make the DreamWorks face at the other justices when they say words he doesn't understand.

Or

Smoll Ben cause I want to see him drowning in those robes.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Stoatbringer posted:

Oh yeah. Watching the burning clown car of America helps distract us Europeans from the shitnado of our own situations.

lol

Oh really? I look more at America as a loving hellscape that the ultra-Rightwing in our part of the world are licking their chops over and taking their cues from. That's why it annoys me a little when Americans say lol why the gently caress do you care what happens in our country, as if America hasn't dictated Western policy for loving yonks.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

kazr posted:

what do yonks mean

Yeah others have said, but it means 'for a long time'. My British friend used it a lot and I liked how it sounded.

E: ^^^^ Jesus, but then again American Evangelicals are a loving scourge. They've done the same poo poo in African and South American countries.

An insane mind fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 19, 2020

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

It'll be Merick Garland but he has to make a solid oath to vote conservative.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I hope he/they get confused and shout stuff like LOCK THAT SEAT! BUILD HER UP! FILL THE WALL!

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Why even have:

a) SC Justices over 60 (probably even 55)

And

b) Have it be a lifetime position :/

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Jose posted:

Well you see them being life time appointments stops them being political

Ah yes. That must also be why the Republican Party has a list for future justices made for them by a federalist thinktank. To stop it all being so political.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Shanghaied posted:

Just to play devil's advocate here:

It's not inherently wrong to have older, more experienced jurists on the highest court. Ideally you would want SCOTUS justices who have served as judges on lower courts as well, and having a hard age limit generally favours those who are advancement-focused and politically well-connected, which is not necessarily a good thing either.

The US military for example has max age limits for each rank in the hierarchy, and that has the side-effect of systemically disadvantaging black and minority officers - all it takes to end your entire career is to have met one superior at some point who doesn't like you and delays your promotion to the next higher rank, and now you are too old for promotion to the rank after that, and have to retire.

As for the lifetime appointment thing, this basically:

The idea was that the judiciary should be independent and could not be able to be replaced by the executive branch willy nilly. When the right-wing Law and Justice party came into power in Poland for example, one thing they tried was to force all the judges on the Supreme Court into early retirement so that they could be replaced with party loyalists. When that proved to be massive unpopular, they simply changed the law and lowered the mandatory retirement age and forced half of the judges to retire anyway. Of course lifetime appointment is not the only solution, but neither is it inherently bad. You could for example have the emeritus system of the federal courts for the SCOTUS as well - judges don't have to retire, but once they are over 70 they no longer count towards the max number of judges, and new judges could be nominated in their place. Roosevelt originally proposed this system for the SCOTUS, but it never passed Congress.

So what I'm saying is, the system is not good, but it didn't have to be bad either, but it's been made dogshit by the political culture of the last 50 years.

Good, informative post. Thank you.

But for me, wanting judges with experience in lower courts doesn't automatically mean that they need to be 70+. An SC of about 40-45 can have a ton of experience in the lower courts and with a 10 year term limit I think, would be more cognizant of the imprint they leave behind on the office. How to make the SC more diverse I have no clue beyond letting populace vote them in but then you'll have the problem of old people bias and white men being white men and only voting in white men.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Stoatbringer posted:

Listen here you little poo poo

I'm a loving decorated navy seal. I killed mother loving Osama and you think...

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

This year would be sort of saved if Donnie pulled off his mask and it was Sacha Baron Cohen doing a long con. Like, for his new show Batshit America.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Oscar Wild posted:

Yeah, its a good thing he wasn't put in charge of anything important.

Buddy you might wanna sit down before I tell you this. He's the president of the United states.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Was Lindsay not a member of the Senate when Scalia finally died?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Avirosb posted:

Please sign my petition to replace all epitaphs with everyones' dumbest possible tweets.

I would like that because I made two tweets total before I got banned and both of them were telling Trump to eat all of my taint.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I don't get Twitter. I got banned last year because I tweeted Trump once a day and called him a traitor. I tweeted normally and at other people, friends, basic poo poo. Got banned for being a spam account because I tweeted the same thing though. Meanwhile, actual bots are tweeting "great job, sir!" A thousand times a day and that's fine.

I guess more people mass report our tweets than the bots' forcing twitter to take action. Very few people sit behind their pc all day to report but the MAGACult seems just the right amount of insane to do it.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Impeach the Senate imo, can't have a vote on SCOTUS if you're all in impeachment trials. Bing bong so simple.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I'm not going bald very gracefully but at least I've more confidence in how I'll look than loving Trump.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

boar guy posted:

he'd rather lose, just like he wanted to lose before, so that he can gently caress off to the freshly minted Trump Network News and rant for 2 hours on live TV every night about whatever will make him money that day

I may be in the minority here but I honestly think that if he pivots to his own T.V. Network he'll fail. If you're not on the Trump train you're sick of hearing his voice. I can barely read AFHs trumpspeak posts sometimes because they make me angry.

He works on cable atm because fox cuts around his greatest hits, you can see people being bored during his live rallies.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Could we get bugs bunny to use a saw along the Mexican and Canadian borders and put loving America out to sea at this point, motherfuck.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Valko posted:

I don't know where you are from but if it's the UK then you are wrong.

The U.K. is no longer the EU, we can now disavow you.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

What is the deal with that orb anyway? Is it supposed to be some relic?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Where the gently caress is your chin.gif

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Stefan Prodan posted:

sometimes people who are generally lame or bad can actually be funny, trump is genuinely funny like fairly often even though he's a dumb piece of poo poo

I very rarely find him funny. Catty, yes. Bitchy, yes. Funny? Not really.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Honestly I don't get why he doesn't show his tax returns. His bank accounts could literally spell out how he's been stealing from the American people since the 70s and his supporters will go "lol taxes are theft from the successful anyway, good on our prez for dodging them."

Right before they lament the state of the roads and other infrastructure.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Trump(blubbering): Hey Bard, people are all loving over me on this tax thing from the standpoint of anger make it go away.

Parscale: Yes sir, time to go crazy.

News cycle latches on like a tick.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Just spent 20 minutes watching John Oliver's episode on the SC and if I wasn't mad before I'm livid now. How can hispanic people be represented as barely more than half of a white person in the senate in TYOOL 2020, how can black people still on count as barely three quarters of a person. What the actual gently caress. It's so loving disgusting.

I did have a tiny lol when Mitt Romney implied both the Republican party and America are centre-right.

Like...holy poo poo. In Germany twitter would have to block republican senators' tweets (and I'd guess some dems' as well) for how close to neo-nazi rethoric they are.

What can I as a foreign white dude do to help? I don't have much but do some goons maybe have some causes I could donate to to help? This is just so infuriating.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Wow, foreign intervention from Germany of all places???

I'm Dutch, Germany but worse and smaller. I just used Germany as an example and I know how hypocritcal it is because we in Holland can't even remove Zwarte Piet without throwing a loving fit.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You can probably help stop populism and far-right spreading in your own country, because with the COVID stuff and disinformation campaigns things aren't going well.

Here in Belgium the Vlaams Belang (Belgian far right) is paving the way for taking the power in the coming years, massively targeting younger people and flooding social medias with propaganda.

I mean I feel bad for Americans too, but at this stage, I think all we can do is stop the crazy conspiracy theories from leaking into Europe too much. Because as we can see in the Trump thread, this is what is poisoning the minds of people.

True, sadly loving true. Here it's Forum voor Democratie and the Partij voor de Vrijheid (why are their names always so loving infuriatingly obvious) and people are flocking to them in droves. Meanwhile the centre-right party in power is watching this happen and going OH WE NEED TO BE MORE LIKE THEM gently caress FOREIGNERS gently caress EMPATHY! And I'm just sitting here with my stupid sign that says "Love eachother for gently caress's sake" and trying to deprogram loving family members and sometimes I want to scream.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Eh there's a nonzero number of non-Q Trump guys. Like my Kurdish buddy who loving loved the Republicans cause they whacked Saddam and liberated his people, lol owned buddy

Trump left the Kurds to die at the hands of loving Erdogan.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean for that to come of antagonistic. It's just, the dude literally loving over everyone who wants to give him a chance.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Remember when Ivanka told this story about how she and her father were walking near a homless man and Trump pointed at the homeless man and said: "He has more money than me." And she saw this as some great story about the power of family and not an indictment of how rich people work, her father was still walking around in a suit and being driven everywhere while that man was dying in the gutter.

e-LIFESUNDEATH YOU ARE NOW MY POSTING ENEMY >: (

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

LifeSunDeath posted:

Oh dear, wasn't expecting to be at war with anyone this morning :(

:( I can't stay mad at you. I'll bury the hatchet and we can remain at peace and then maybe A Fancy Hat can be put forth for the Nobel Peace Price since he can channel Trump best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Gutter Phoenix posted:

The hottest take:

Could it have something to do with you and your ilk crippling the IRS in a fit of revenge and malice Chuck?