Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Grondoth posted:

I don't see how this ends in anything other than a fracture in the GOP or a re-alignment into an authoritarian party. There's nothing these people can do and the rest of the world wants to move on, but they're entrenched in this narrative and will brook no other outcome than a second term for Trump. Which isn't going to happen. And when it doesn't happen, the people in the party who were telling them it wouldn't happen are going to be attacked.

I'm not confident enough to bet on much of anything these days but I will bet that a GOP fracture absolutely will not happen any time soon.

The one and only thing that has kept them alive for the past few decades is that the 60+ million person hate group that is the GOP all hate the same people, worship power, and will absolutely maintain solidarity with each other in order to facilitate that hatred. Either drenb is nominated again in 2024 or, more likely, they will all fall in line behind Lucid Competent Nazi 2024 (Tom Cotton, was it?) and things are really going to get bad.

Non-Republicans all have pesky "principles" and poo poo and expect the people they support to act in service of said principles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
That... that account is quite clearly a bit

Actual chud drawings of aoc are all horribly racist caricatures. Some people really seem to want to believe that chuds really want to be dommed by lefty women for some reason.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
president bad

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Grondoth posted:

I look at it like this: The sitting president of the united states, days after the election, claimed it was fraudulent and called his supporters to gather at the capital. It was a hyped up event that the conservative propaganda machine pushed for a week, and it was about the most dire thing that could ever happen in this country: an election being stolen.

10 thousand people showed up, he drove through them to play golf, the only violence was when the guys who literally go into cities to get into fights with liberals got into fights with liberals, and they all left at the end of the weekend.

Cities will fill the streets and burn down buildings when a cop kills someone and gets away with it. A million people came to DC over the summer to protest police brutality. The streets of cities all over the country were filled when it was announced Trump lost. Five million people marched in the women's march in 2017. These people are loud as gently caress online and have their voice amplified by the goddamn president, but this is push coming to shove and they didn't show up. There's just not that many of them.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

Modest Needs is a great organization that can always use more help:
https://www.modestneeds.org/index.asp

These guys look like they loving suck tbh

"Here at Modest Needs(R) (yes they put a registered trademark sign on it) we only help the deserving (working) poor. If you're undeserving poor then gently caress you, you don't deserve to not die of exposure to the elements"

is the message I get from their website.

If somebody can recommend some decent food banks or homeless shelters that aren't just a junk mail blasting shitlib grift that maybe also helps a few homeless people on the side then I'd be down to kick some cash their way.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Play posted:

Please don't entice me into believing that the Dems could actually win this election. It's not a nice thing to do

Relax friend, and sleep easy. Joe Manchin will cross the aisle within 100 seconds of the race being called if it somehow comes to that.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

that all this poo poo, and covid, is all a massive problem because one rich nazi just wanted to get more rich, and everyone else lined up to make his lie reality...like I never had faith in humanity, but this is making me feel...rage...maybe? Dunno it's something like rage mixed with apathy and also a little something more spicy.

Most countries are getting the living poo poo kicked out of them by COVID. Most of them aren't making hundreds of thousands of people homeless in the process, admittedly, but the US death toll per capita isn't really an outlier as far as I'm aware.

That's not to say that right wing shitbaggery doesn't play a big part in that, but the aforementioned shitbaggery isn't limited to the US unfortunately.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Mr.Tophat posted:

Endless orange words

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Anti-gay crusader Mike Pence feeling stressed out and under siege because some powerful people want him to suffer purely so that they can take their frustrations out on someone.

You hate to see it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

Right but they have anointed her as such, and it drives their trad wives nuts. It's a love/hate thing for them, hence Bobert trying to make it hate/hate.

There are maybe one or two right wingers that feel this way but broadly speaking this has no basis in reality. Right wingers see AOC the same way they see anybody who isn't a straight white guy: stupid and subhuman.

This whole idea that right wingers are secretly attracted to her and/or want to be dommed by her is some really weird and frankly gross left-wing fanfiction, and said fanfic writers should maybe stop being "ironically" weird and gross about it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

whats the draw for women to be conservative? is it just a kink thing, wanna live some kind of sub life without any of the good parts of sexual delight?

abusers prey on people with low self esteem

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

I will maybe for one microsecond feel legitimately sorry for this dude, once we're 48+ hours clear of wet boy and no more idiots tried to do a domestic terrorisms

Moola posted:

Okay now do a live video with your real feelings you INCREASING gently caress

:hmbol:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quote:

I'm big enough[citation needed]

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
How does lifetime secret service protection work if you subsequently go to jail? is there a detail in and around your cell at all times to make sure you don't get shanked or suicided?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
13:00 Literally overthrow the federal government
17:00 Hang out at the hotel for a bit maybe have a couple beers
19:35 Catch the plane back home because I have work tomorrow

Yeah these are definitely the guys you want doing your domestic terrorisms for you

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The X-man cometh posted:

Or by spending 10% of what people donated to Amy Mcgrath and actually showing up for multiple campaigns (see Georgia)

Oh man, you posting that reminded me of that time when the DNC threw a tantrum and sued to overturn the results of that primary election because the voters narrowly voted for the guy who would actually represent their interests instead of the DNC's pet right wing whackjob who would make sure that the grift train stayed on the rails? Also that time they threw a tantrum over the primary voters of Queens voting for the wrong DA (the one that wasn't up to her eyeballs with the city's real estate interests).

Good times man, good times. Real class act, those Democrats.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Wendy's Drive-Thru Cashier: Please sir, you can't just call everything a communist
MAGA: *points at seagull* Communist

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Play posted:

The most disturbing moment of this thread was a couple months back on the night of the election when it legitimately looked like Trump was going to win easily. poo poo got real dark for a little bit, none of us could loving believe what we were seeing.

Although it eventually turned into a historical loss, it was still way too close, just blows my mind how many "intelligent" "adults" would actually do a thing like vote for this dangerous loving idiot. I'm sure in the (less than) 24 hours remaining to him he'll somehow manage to gently caress up at least three separate things

7PM on election night I air-gapped my entire apartment, had a couple beers, watched some anime and then went straight the gently caress to bed at like 10 PM.

I do not regret my decision at all and I laugh at anybody who did anything different

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

The Locator posted:

Lol.. good on Uber

issuing correction on your previous post,

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i ain't reading all of that
i'm happy for you tho
or sorry that happened

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if i join the FBI can i be an Ordinary Agent

is that a position that exists that i could put on my business card and stuff

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

if you don't need the money, there are def lots of local soup kitchens, shelters and orgs that could use it. consider donating!

if you can recommend some that aren't a shitlib grift then please share

no orgs whose chairman of the board scoops $300,000/yr out of the collection tin please

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Vic posted:

America, no joke, needed Trump to figure some poo poo out.

imo

Not sure I want the KKK Party to openly become a thing but that's just me

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

armchairyoda posted:

Still catching up (again), but no. I *want* them to show who they are.

Them "showing who they are" would be a rampant campaign of domestic terrorism and a Republican congressional delegation that is extremely gun-shy about actually opposing them so as not to alienate the KKK party voting base.

armchairyoda posted:

Channeling my best Brad Pitt impression from Inglorious Basterds rn.

My friend, unlike the Hollywood movie you are so fond of there is no left-wing paramilitary going around murdering right-wing paramilitaries, in no small part due to 40 years of the federal government demonstrating what they are capable of when they actually want to supress a political movement using every tool at their disposal.

Also I don't think a civil war would be a good thing.

This is just an extremely lib-brained take all around.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

There must be a similar group of brainwashed libs who are just dumb as gently caress but got stuck into the other end of the political spectrum. Who are they? Is it us? Did we get brainwashed into believing their lies just so they can have a world for everybody?

the people with :byodood: RUSSIA :byodood: brainworms

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Blueshirt posted:

Having spent more time than is probably healthy lurking in very right wing Discords, the main unifying factor of racist conspiracy theorising loons is that they feel dissatisfied and isolated and aren't sure why. Most of the ones I spoke to were lower middle class, reasonably well educated, generally a bit disgruntled that they paid a lot for an education and now earn less than a good tradesman. Almost all of them worked remote, abstract jobs, where they were divorced from the fruits of their labour. They weren't the manly man who built the roads and cleared the culverts, they were the salesman who billed for his services or the admin who ordered him his concrete. Almost all of them have dull, materially comfortable lives and a sense that Something Was Coming. For all the preaching of "old school based community values" none of them volunteered, or went to church, or really knew their neighbours. Everybody pined to be the solo tacticool operator in a pitched battle with The Liberal Commie Mixed Race Horde, nobody wanted to be teh dude who befriended their neighbours and organised a Neighbourhood Watch. It was by and large isolated, angsty dudes, who talked a lot about blood and ropes and curbstomps, paedo cabals and big tech encroachment but never did anything about it and instead sat and pissed and moaned about everything, effortlessly hamstrung by 0 hours contracts and social media addiction. Their idea of WHITE RESISTANCE is poo poo like not wearing a mask to Kroger's and giving the cashier a hard stare, or taking 2.5% off the tip because their server had a nose ring. By and large everyone was sitting on their hands, waiting for the one melodramatic external moment that'd sweep them into a life of sturm and drang.

The other thing I noted in RACIST WHITE rather than COMMIE LEFT communities is how right wing information feed seems to be very, uh, remote? I dunno how to describe it. But left wing people will be like "here's a news article" or "here's a journal" or "here's a screenie of someone's twitter" whereas right wing information tended to be much more removed from the primary source. "Here's a screenshot of an imgur post of a twitter post of a video that's a still image of some text about a news article" kinda stuff. Made it pretty maddening to dig into where tehy were getting their bullshit from.

Oh and right wing men are as catty as gently caress. For all that they'd roleplay as burly weightlifting manly men, as soon as a politician's wife or a celebrity was mentioned it'd be a total bitchfest about their split ends, their poor skin care regimen and how their coat's soooo two seasons ago.

Interesting.

(legitimately. not trying to make a sick burn or anything)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

barbecue at the folks posted:

i mean, if you want to make a 900m tall anime statue of an omelette, you gotta break a few billion eggs, it might still be worth it

https://twitter.com/mirihawke/status/1299440032172834817

https://twitter.com/mirihawke/status/1299441838378553345

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I have been reading conspiracy boards for 20 years (also more than what's healthy) and there has been a clear change of tone in recent years. At first it was mostly about aliens and bigfoots and freemasons and rapture and occasionally a bit of anti big banks sprinkled with antisemitism. People were mostly anti government in general, saying the left/right paradigm was bullshit to promote a corporate agenda, and that they all had yearly pagan fun together in Bohemian Grove.

Then after Obama was elected it started to slowly change to become more and more political and racist, and always less about UFOs and bigfoots and freemasons. And you could feel this was coming from elsewhere. Always more people who weren't regulars who came in and started spewing all their hate of Obama and democrats. It's was insane. Everyone was unhinged. Conspiracies became mostly about how Michelle Obama is actually a man (thus making Obama gay) or Hillary kills babies.

Then just before Trump all hell broke lose. Today it would be really difficult to tell what was once a forum about UFOs from Stormfront. The mods even changed the Forum header claiming it's now about "breaking news and offbeat discussion" instead of the previous "Aliens, UFOs, cryptids and other mysteries".

I think it is pretty clear the Russian troll farms have been extremely busy on Facebook and these boards. They did a really good job at stirring poo poo among the western crazies.

"US conspiracy theorists are spiralling completely out of control. This is surely a Russian consipracy." says man without a hint of irony

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

^^^^^^
sorry can't tell, never listened to it. But if people can call in, I guess it will be in line with the current popular themes.

If it's a conspiracy, then it's an official one from the FBI. This is information I got from the US govt, not from a conspiracy board

Yes, major world players have disinfo campaigns. The Australian conspiracy that is News Corporation and its associated properties has a lot more explanatory power than some all-powerful Russian conspiracy, but that's a lot more mundane and boring.

I bring it up because of the earlier question about equivalent non-right-wing conspiracy circles, and because I'm tired of all the reflexive shitlib "How's the weather in Moscow this time of year?" takes any time somebody dares criticize one of their favorite grifters. Stubbed my toe getting out of the shower this morning? Curse you Putin!! Is there no level of perfidy you and your invisible bathroom ninjas won't sink to?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
where is that "My client scrupulously documented all of the evidence that was used to convict them so in a sense they have been very co-operative" tweet

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Virginia Slams posted:

I cannot imagine anyone but a public defender who is obligated to take the case willingly representing these people. Like there is no point in the state even bothering with plea deals because every single one of them is literally broadcasting their confession to the world so why bother taking a surefire loss. Saul Goodman wouldn't even be able to weasel these folks out of their jam.

chud jury

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Play posted:

Honestly haven't decided yet if it would be a good thing or a bad thing for him to run in 2024. On the one hand, besides one freak win he's a proven loser who hurt the Republicans badly and there could be a more intelligent/threatening candidate in his place. On the other hand, gently caress him

on the one hand he increased his vote share :cripes:

on the other hand four years is plenty of time for his loser stink to really soak in and it's difficult to be a fascist strongman when you've been thoroughly and publicly owned

and on the gripping hand i stg if there is a hedge fund bailout and no $2000 checks (or even just a hedge fund bailout period)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Why is he such a grossly misshapen homunculus

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Virginia Slams posted:

Republicans are evil garbage human beings, who are effective in getting what they want by sticking together. Democrats are giant pussies, most of whom are well meaning but ignorant to world around them, who can't govern or even agree on what they want as a whole.

they want to protect the interests of the billionaire parasites that finance them while still having to trick people into voting for them with their loving schtick of "aw golly gee shucks folks we're just so incompetent! but we're doing out best! you can't blame us for doing our best can you? don't forget to elect us again k? :) but remember that better things aren't possible because that's Sensible and Pragmatic and we're Very Serious People Who Get Things Done", op.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, even the Money People are getting kinda fed up with their bullshit, though.

Who, the Republicans? no, the Money People just don't want to catch heat for supporting a gang of violent insurrectionists, so they made a bunch of loud noises about pulling funding for the parliamentary arm of said violent insurrectionists (which they will quietly reinstate in a few months after all the fuss dies down).

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

are people outside of terminally online left wing twitter only just now noticing that neera tanden is a gigantic corrupt piece of poo poo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
does anybody remember the tiny desk LOL

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

4 weeks and barely a day in.

It's more than likely public posturing, "no, we can't afford 50k!" "yes we can!" "alright, we can." Then it looks like he was trying to be fiscally responsible because he resisted.

I dunno, maybe not; maybe he's a loving liar.

All I'm saying is the Dems have the fiscal package in their pocket because the Trump Admin dropped the ball on passing it last year and politics is a shitshow that has to play out so let it play out before we pronounce final judgement.

Besides, the Dems also call the shots on NEXT year's fiscal spending bill because they earned it via OUR vote, so they get a twofer due to Trump's negligence and stupidity.

What is reconciliation?
Reconciliation is a rule that was included when Congress rewrote budget rules in 1974. The goal was to allow Congress to pass a new budget resolution with new spending priorities and quickly pass the legislation to reflect the needs of the moment. The Congressional Research Service, a nonpartisan research group in Congress, reports reconciliation was first used in 1980 and has been used to pass 25 reconciliation bills.

That process allows the party in control of Congress to pass most big-dollar legislation with a simple 51-vote majority in the Senate without having to worry about a filibuster.

It's gonna be fine, certainly better than it coulda been.

Namaste.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/02/962812082/what-is-reconciliation-democrats-face-hurdles-to-use-it-for-covid-relief

lol

I'm sure this will be the time when Lucy doesn't pull the football away.

The neoliberals didn't pull out every dirty trick in the book last March to install somebody who was going to lift a single finger against capital's interests dooder. Neoliberalism is going to strangle us all to death if overt fascism doesn't get around to it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Clitch posted:

If the DNC were as deviously competent as conservative loons seem to think, we'd be living under Empress Hillary.

Much like your employer's HR department the DNC is in fact quite competent, just not at what a lot of people seem to think their job is.