Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
so ive been watching a lot of movies lately and bit worried about running out of them at the pace i've been going. i need to start rationing; shouldn't have gone as hard as I did initially at all.

im reading through the romance of the three kingdoms right now. but its only 500 pages long and well thats not going to last either. I've been video game free for almost a full week now and am running out of things to do. i keep catching myself opening something out of habit but i always slam it back closed before anything loads.

while better than video games, books and movies are just more hollow time sinks.

I could go and do more excerise and stretches , so what. im really close to being able to do the splits again for the first time in 10 years. it just doesn't matter without somebody to share with, you know. when I was a kid and could do the splits everybody would harass me over it. saying it was proof I had no balls. when you're doing the splits you're also very vulnerable so asking me to do the splits and then kicking me in the crotch was really popular.

I've got some fruit trees in nearby yards I can pick from, apples and plums, but that'll only last few another week or two when the frost comes.

I'm going to pre-chop some vegetables I think too, onion and carrots so I can cook something nice over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLgM1QJ3S_I

this song is pretty good but its been on loop for an awful long time

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
i unironically want to try painting even though I was constantly told that enjoying things or wanting to do anything was gay when I was a kid.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
what's the easy mode painting medium to get started.

does walmart sell intro art kits or who actually sells that kind of stuff

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

food court bailiff posted:

op you sound really boring

try fishing, i have been fishing the last few thursdays and it has been really nice to get the gently caress out of the house for a bit

ehh I don't really want to get into hunting/fishing. that's unlikely to be a great solo hobby either, seems a bit dangerous.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

if you want to do easy paintings that actually look nice go with oils and watch some bob ross, unironically

the initial buy in is probably the largest but the results are worth it imo.

I'd start small, maybe like the 3 primary colors and then white and mix everything myself. I have no idea anything about what kind of paper you need, brush types, densities.
Is there any sort of intro guide to painting

Still not sure where you'd actually buy this stuff. Michaels?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
there's a michaels right by me so I'll try that tomorrow. they advertise themselves as arts/crafts, never been inside though.

I have a lot of paper plates I need to use so those should be good for color mixing. looks like bob ross has a some sort of straight edge paint scraper thing he likes so I'll get one of those too.

does the type of brush material matter?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ante posted:

OP you don't sound boring but you could stand to pick up a few new hobbies

- pick all of the fruits you can before the frost comes. Every single one
- Freeze them
- Bake. Pies or fruit cobblers are great ways to use them up. Cobbler with a little bit of ice cream is one of the best enjoyment:effort ratios imaginable
- Plants. Grow plants. I've start doing some indoor ivy, mint, spider plant, and pothos in the last few years, and I've found it really fascination/gratifying. As a 20-30-something dude, this is slightly unusual, and that just makes it better
- Bake other stuff - I've been making my own pizzas from scratch, including the doughs, and it doesn't take that much time. Less than an hour, from start to finish, including cleanup and extra ingredient frying.
- Crochet?
- Learn to code. Do a project, don't just follow tutorials
- Sculpting, like with clay

this is a good idea. I can probably get like 3-4lb of plums.

Apples don't freeze though, do they? I tried eating some apples after frost last year and they weren't great

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

okay I went out and picked some fruit. I'll get more later.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Play the pee game

Hang out, watch tv, drink beer. When you have to pee, take a shot. Then pee. Then go back to what you were doing.

Repeat until you pass out.

It's a game!

I don't drink alcohol at home.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

apples don’t freeze but you can refrigerate them almost indefinitely in a plastic bag

that’s why like, you can buy apples year round even though they are only harvestable in the fall

i thought this worked by alternating importing apples and other seasonal fruit from the north vs southern hemisphere at varying latitudes so its always in season somewhere.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ante posted:

THat's the case for most things, but not apples. Apples can last for like a year in certain conditions, it's magical

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/11/26/668256349/thanks-to-science-you-can-eat-an-apple-every-day

I'm surprised this scale of mass and long term energy-intensive refrigeration is economically better than the follow the season model of other fruits. Produce has like, a 3% profit margin.

Neat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
im tired. going to go sleep while its still thursday night. Had some pretty messed up nightmares last night, couldn't remember any of them by morning though.

I'll save the rest of my fruit picking for tomorrow