Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I got a box this week.

Oooh, she's purdy...

This is a modern reproduction of the 1841 "Mississippi" Rifle that the US adopted in the 1840s. I'm going light on history since this gun hasn't actually picked up a lot of that since it was made in Italy in the last couple years. At the time, the 1841 was known to be a beautiful gun and I think Pedersoli has done pretty well as far as that goes.

Some day I would like to pick up an original. If I do I will pretend it was one of the rifles issued to the US regiment that had 1 horse for every 2 men and the plan was to have both mount up when they needed to move. lol. Actually they made about 70,000 of these and were used by units operating as regular rifle infantry and skirmishers, including the Mississippi state regiment that gave their name to these guns. During the civil war many were bored out to us .58 caliber Minie balls, but mine is in the original .54 caliber and designed for patched round balls. I took it out to the range today.

60 grains of swiss black powder from a reproduction of a supposedly period correct flask.

A lubed patch and a roly guy - the .530 ball is about 224 grains.

Cap the nipple and then you get the smoke!

https://i.imgur.com/IMsuJFf.mp4

And you get big holes.

And you get fouling. Honestly, cleanup wasn't bad at all. It takes a little prep, but a bucket of hot water, some scrubbing, and 15 minutes work gets you a clean rifle and some confused neighbors.

I'm really happy with this new addition to the collection. In the fashion of rifles before the Minie ball it's somewhat shorter than other muskets of the era - 33 inch barrel - so it's very handy relatively, and it sure is handsome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

drat, that's a pretty gun.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Pedersoli makes good repops.

Cyrano4747