Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

playing through 3D world for the first time and you can really tell that they speed things up, you gotta work to not go flying off into oblivion in a lot of parts lol. it's good mario tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like 3D world. It's not my favorite Mario but it's a lot of fun. Love the Toad

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bowser's Fury is Mario's Castlevania II

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Took an accidental nap but I'm playing this now. I like the way Luigi says "cool" after picking up a star.

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Haven't touched Bowser's Fury yet but 3D World is just as fun as I remember, definitely need to get out of the habit of trying to roll and cap bounce everywhere after playing so much Odyssey though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
3d world still pwns, played through the first 4 worlds online with 2 other people and it wasnt perfect but it works good enough

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Love the Toad

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I forgot that when Cat Mario/Luigi pick up a star they say "meow" in an insanely creepy furry voice. Questionable decision

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I forgot that when Cat Mario/Luigi pick up a star they say "meow" in an insanely creepy furry voice. Questionable decision

theyre cats op

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

don't be this way dude. get a grip on yourself.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Meow.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

They are not. When Mario gets a fire flower he doesn't turn into a plant.

Bolverkur posted:

don't be this way dude. get a grip on yourself.
you're right. meow

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

just got Mario tennis aces. Adventure mode is badass so far

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

beautiful

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
Playing some Mario

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The loving mario kart level omg....

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

American McGay posted:

The loving mario kart level omg....

3d world rules

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dude they really did up the movement speed a lot for the switch port. i thought it felt a lot slower in my memory of the wiiu game and I had to look it up

every character is like 25% faster

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

dude they really did up the movement speed a lot for the switch port. i thought it felt a lot slower in my memory of the wiiu game and I had to look it up

every character is like 25% faster

Lol cool

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think I still love the way Mario moves in Odyssey the most but I do really like how the characters control in this. Love the run. Love the Toad.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's just personal preference but playing this just further cements that I'm strongly in the SMB3 "short but wildly creative level design" camp when it comes to Mario gameplay. You can have your Odyssey giant open world collectathon garbage. This is the real Mario. That's why Galaxy 2 will always be the goat.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

American McGay posted:

It's just personal preference but playing this just further cements that I'm strongly in the SMB3 "short but wildly creative level design" camp when it comes to Mario gameplay. You can have your Odyssey giant open world collectathon garbage. This is the real Mario. That's why Galaxy 2 will always be the goat.

this except 3d world is better than galaxy 2

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

American McGay posted:

My Mario format hierarchy:
2D platformer > 3D adventure > 3D platformer > educational typing game

I haven’t played Galaxy 2 or 3D world yet so maybe those will flip the 3D categories

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

3D world isn't a timed thing is it? I already have like 2 100 hour games on my list to finish and something tells me I'll end up fling down a Yakuza hole so it'll be like 2022 before I can get to it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i feel like 3d world is galaxy 2's formula evolved. but obviously theyre both godtier marios

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

American McGay posted:

All Mario is good Mario, c'mon. Except for...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

odyssey vs. 3d world/galaxy 2 is apples and oranges imo. they're fuckin amazing games in totally different ways. that said galaxy 2 is the best one

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
world is probably the Objectively better game but i always liked 3 a little more for being weird & more out there

a thing that i dont think is appreciated is how mysterious nes games could be, i think like ps1 too. low fidelity + no in game instructions + lil kid brain is a powerful combo

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The world themes (not level themes, the overworlds) in 3D World are comically uninspired as of world 5. The level themes are better but like, not by leaps and bounds or anything. There are plenty of levels where the aesthetic is "Mario I guess". The designs are top notch but the themes are outdone by even NSMBU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

NienNunb posted:

The world themes (not level themes, the overworlds) in 3D World are comically uninspired as of world 5. The level themes are better but like, not by leaps and bounds or anything. There are plenty of levels where the aesthetic is "Mario I guess". The designs are top notch but the themes are outdone by even NSMBU

The high points are great though. The Mario Kart level in world 3 rules. But yeah they really didn't need to do grass world, desert world, ice world, etc for the themes at this point

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Milkman posted:

world is probably the Objectively better game but i always liked 3 a little more for being weird & more out there

a thing that i dont think is appreciated is how mysterious nes games could be, i think like ps1 too. low fidelity + no in game instructions + lil kid brain is a powerful combo

3 is also better

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

goferchan posted:

The high points are great though. The Mario Kart level in world 3 rules. But yeah they really didn't need to do grass world, desert world, ice world, etc for the themes at this point

The Mario Kart level is a top 10 Mario level for me honestly, you're right.

Gimme more of this poo poo, Nintendo

https://youtu.be/oUrwREVuU7I

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Team 3

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1361073314781749252?s=19

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

This level gave me so much trouble for depth perception reasons

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

The amount of times I've made it through the entire level then die at the very end for bullshit reasons.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im going to do all the exits in super mario world this evening