Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who did it?
The butler
The weird guy you meet once
Professor James "Goku" Moriatry
View Results

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
he's no sherlock gnomes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

gleebster posted:

The best Holmes is Slylock Fox, who carries on an eternal struggle against raccoons and shrews.

when I met my ex wife she was a fox but pretty soon she was a shrew!

*rides off on my harley*

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

free hubcaps posted:

nero wolfe is possibly even goonier than holmes

maury chaykin owned

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Numlock posted:

Hunklock was very distracting. So unusual to see a Sherlock that is so physically imposing.

The movie was decent.

Aside from being mega-swole, he was also unfailingly empathetic, humble, and socially appropriate. I like my Sherlocks to have clearly noticeable personality disorders and/or neurodiversity, thank you very much.

Speaking of which, a good modern-day Sherlock is the 90’s move The Zero Effect, with the always-underrated Bill Pullman as agoraphobic genius detective Daryl Zero, and Ben Stiller as his long-suffering Watsonesque sidekick.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Chicken Butt posted:

Aside from being mega-swole, he was also unfailingly empathetic, humble, and socially appropriate. I like my Sherlocks to have clearly noticeable personality disorders and/or neurodiversity, thank you very much.

honestly i was bothered more by Mycroft caring about the family looking respectable, simply because he doesn't care about anything at all, and certainly wouldn't bother to look even for his own family members more than once

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Without a clue was a fun take on Holmes and Watson. It's on Youtube;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EgFD-wz-A

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Xotl posted:

That was the first big pastiche anthology and also had the blessing of the Estate, as you say, so it is reasonably well known, though its quality is as hit and miss as most of that sort. The King is the best one in there, but some of the names you don't recognize are also well known in the mystery community if nowhere else: Dorothy B. Hughes has several of her books made into films, including the classic In A Lonely Place with Bogart (great movie). Edward D. Hoch was one of a handful of people in the world after the pulps who made a living off short stories: he wrote hundreds, appearing every month in the top mystery magazines for decades. John Gardner was an ex-Royal Commando and then priest who took over the Bond franchise after Fleming died; he wrote a trio of interesting novels about Moriarty that can be a lot of fun.

Anyways, Holmes rules.

I was mostly grousing, thanks for the info! I'll check them out

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kareem Abdul Jabbar, in addition to being an amazing athlete and thinker, wrote some excellent Sherlock Holmes* novels yall should check out.

*Technically Mycroft Holmes novels but whatever they're good

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

oldpainless posted:

He’s British OP

ITT we bravely fight racism by assigning personality traits on a group basis.

Also Nero Wolfe isn’t Sherlock Holmes he’s Mycroft Holmes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

ITT we bravely fight racism by assigning personality traits on a group basis.

He's obviously not Sherlock Holmes but he's a sherlock holmes, just like Mycroft Holmes.

Like no-one can say Calvin or Hobbes are Garfield(s) but Calvin & Hobbes is a garfield. HTH.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No the gently caress it isn't

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Beefeater1980 posted:

No, Wolfe is Sherlock's illegitimate son with Adler, born in Montenegro.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gleebster posted:

No, Wolfe is Sherlock's illegitimate son with Adler, born in Montenegro.

Augh I forgot about this. Who was it that cooked that one up?

Also Bigger Nero theory.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

gleebster posted:

The best Holmes is Slylock Fox, who carries on an eternal struggle against raccoons and shrews.

this post reminded me that Sherlock Hound exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nymyqJfOY1Y

miyazaki worked on this show for a bit and it actually has some pretty cool steampunky mechanical designs

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Augh I forgot about this. Who was it that cooked that one up?

Also Bigger Nero theory.

Baring-Gould. Interesting aside, his mama wrote "Onward, Christian Soldiers".

Edit: grandmama, actually.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

free holmes book for ur kindle

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DP57D27

do watch out for the dr eldarian affliate code there

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I just started the second Mycroft Holmes book.

Can someone do me a huge favor and give me a plot rundown of the first one? I haven’t read it since it came out and wiki isn’t giving me too much to spike my memory.

In spoiler tags, of course.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Doyle's Holmes is a volcel who seems to feel disdain or indifference towards women, with the exception of Irene Adler in A Scandal in Bohemia. Watson says that Holmes doesn't feel attracted to her, just admires her wit, and most people who write about the original Holmes say that the canon doesn't support a romantic connection.

quote:

To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. [...] And yet there was but one woman to him, and that woman was the late Irene Adler, of dubious and questionable memory.

But I wondered if that's actually true. The only payment he requests from his client at the end of the case is a photo of her. That seems like a pretty clear indicator that he feels some sort of love or attraction that surpasses mere respect. Like if Adler were a man I doubt Holmes would have said "oh no need for payment, let me just keep this dude's headshot"

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 3, 2020