Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The Mid-Atlantic has been experiencing a couple of things that have given a lot of people a minor taste of what the early phase of recovery from a bigger disaster could look like. First, the DC area got several inches of wet snow that brought down trees and power lines and led to a 24 hour traffic jam on I-95 (that Tim Kaine got stuck in). Local hospitals are stressed due to this being our turn to be the nation’s COVID hotspot and the virus infecting a lot of health care workers, which has resulted in 12+ hour wait times at some ERs for even non-COVID illnesses/injuries. Plus, the other day, PA shut down its interstates due to another snowstorm, which has resulted in bare shelves at a lot of local grocery stores.

Although these haven’t all stemmed from one event and were staggered over the course of a week, the power outages, significantly disrupted arterial roads, constrained medical care and goods shortages strike me as what we could expect life to look like if another derecho or hurricane hits. And my response to all of this was…. Pretty much nothing. I had enough shelf-stable food to sustain my wife, dogs and I for a few weeks and meds and supplies to treat the kinds of illnesses or injuries that wouldn’t require a trip to Urgent Care or the ER. I’m not a car commuter anymore, but the 95 traffic jam got me to order a woobie and another single-walled Klean Kanteen bottle for my car and has me hunting for Coast Guard emergency rations.

I guess my next project is going to be taking another look at my go-bag. I’m sure there’s some stuff I could take out or replace with other components, and also, I need to figure out whether to build my bag with the “we have to evacuate and move to a shelter” purpose in mind, or “we have to leave now and maybe spend a night or two outside before it’s safe to go home/to a shelter.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
How are those Coast Guard rations? I am not really a fan of having to eat MREs or emergency rations. I do have Norwegian Arctic Rations in my bug out bag, which are tolerable if you are hungry. The only downside of them is you will need to boil water as it is dehydrated. The Swedes have a 24 hour 'wet' ration that is suppose to be good, but they are impossible to find.

I would still orient my bug out bag to having to sleep outside. If you have the space and resources why not make a shelter specific bag, but it is usually better to plan for a worse case scenario.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I remember the datrex emergency rations being good and decently priced. A minor regret of mine is that I didn't buy way more when the local wal mart had them for $5/box.

Wouldn't go with MREs unless they were free/gifted/looted though.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Can't stand the Norwegian rations, since the consistency of the protein always skeeves me the gently caress out. That being said they are genius in an arctic environment since water is abundant.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
City Prepping put out another great video.

https://youtu.be/GCFmGmf6zPY

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Bored As gently caress posted:

City Prepping put out another great video.

https://youtu.be/GCFmGmf6zPY

Similar vein: Uncensored Tactical (kind of a goofy title but the podcast does cover some Interesting topics from time to time) did a show on on prepping for city/apartment dwellers just before the pandemic hit.

Also, this trucker protest bullshit in Canada is something I’m watching with a very close eye. They’re demonstrating how easy it is to besiege a major city and how vulnerable our supply chains are, and I guarantee you worse people are watching and learning for when it’s their turn.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Also, this trucker protest bullshit in Canada is something I’m watching with a very close eye. They’re demonstrating how easy it is to besiege a major city and how vulnerable our supply chains are, and I guarantee you worse people are watching and learning for when it’s their turn.

Anecdotal, but the chuds I work with are all watching it VERY closely and openly musing about participating if it happens anywhere within driving distance. I think it's a lot more likely people who would never participate in anything like that are willing to do this, as they see it having much less risk to themselves because they're sitting in their giant truck or whatever and think they can just drive away if things get hairy.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 18, 2022

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
In regards to these truckers shutting everything down, there are a few points that can be made that makes a really difficult to accomplish anything other than it being a clown show.

If the cops/government decide to shut it down, it is getting shut down. Hopefully none of them decide to bust out any firearms to defend the peaceful protest.

While the trucking business, especially owner/operators lean heavily into chud territory, the majors won’t put up with that BS in the name of profits and making number happy. Also, I don’t know the percentage but your seeing more and more non white and non US born drivers due to the fact that it is still a well paying job after you get a few years of experience/special endorsements and most of these companies are always hiring. I do not think it is likely to see this section of the industry hopping on board the freedom convoy.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

ganglysumbia posted:

While the trucking business, especially owner/operators lean heavily into chud territory, the majors won’t put up with that BS in the name of profits and making number happy. Also, I don’t know the percentage but your seeing more and more non white and non US born drivers due to the fact that it is still a well paying job after you get a few years of experience/special endorsements and most of these companies are always hiring. I do not think it is likely to see this section of the industry hopping on board the freedom convoy.

The Canadian thing is kind of an unique duck, it's weird to see an American take on things. I can't see an American version. I guess the closest thing you can compare it to is Jan 6th?

The whole thing was concocted up by Alberta separatists and conservatives too right wing for the conservative party in Canada. About 95% of Canadian truckers are vaccinated and the trucking convoy protest had little to no impact on trucking in Canada. The stated claim of the organizers was to see Trudeau leave power, you know 4 months after a re-election. The thing that set alarms off was the lack of police response for a few weeks combined with border blockades, and things starting to get out of control in rural border crossings. You had the 11 guys charged with assault weapons at a border crossing, people messing with traffic at the ambassador bridge/401, and farmers showing up with heavy equipment/earth movers in a few spots [which the RCMP sabotaged in the middle of the night. That triggered the Emergency Powers Act and tougher enforcement.

That being said it's easier to shut down Canada with a trucker blockade than the US. The US has 10-100x the highway infrastructure, 10x as many ports, 10-100x as much railway, etc.

Canada? You can cripple a province by blockading a key part of the Trans Canada Highway or a key border crossing or Ferry Terminal.

The US? You got a ton of spots where you can just bypass any such blockage and at worse cause a traffic headaches for locals.

/edit

http://imgur.com/a/b6VbTEH

I dunno how img linking works here with imgur anymore so I give up.. here's a URL instead.

I'll also note unlike the US Interstate system, Canada's Single Trans Canada Highway system isn't 100% controlled access freeway, there are rural sections that have intersections coming into it as well as areas where it's only 2 lanes.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 20, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's why Canada hosed up big time by not cracking down fast.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Big K of Justice posted:

http://imgur.com/a/b6VbTEH

I dunno how img linking works here with imgur anymore so I give up.. here's a URL instead.
Just paste the image url itself:
code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/5DETNj8.jpeg[/img]

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

We've also got easily 10-100x as many psycho assholes that would try this sort of thing. Ironically I think the south is the region most vulnerable to these tactics, we have a lot of long wide rivers with crossings few and far between, it wouldn't take so many trucks or even brodozers to break georgia and the carolinas into a series of peninsulas.

When Columbia SC had the megarain event in 2016 there was a period of about two weeks of bridge closures where the shortest route from the suburbs on one side of Charleston to the suburbs on the other side was through Charlotte NC.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Washington or at least the west half was recently completely closed on all sides for both coming and going due to weather and covid

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Putin’s getting crazy. Suppose, just for preparation’s sake, that nuclear weapons are used in some very limited fashion in Europe. This would disrupt transatlantic supply chains and spark general panic in the US, a run on grocery stores, fuel, etc. What supplies from page 1 would you prioritize for that scenario, assuming no further nuclear war (in which case I’m dead anyway)? It seems like we don’t import anything absolutely critical primarily from Europe, though.

Just imagining plenty of shelf stable dried food and toilet paper, to start.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pmchem posted:

Putin’s getting crazy. Suppose, just for preparation’s sake, that nuclear weapons are used in some very limited fashion in Europe. This would disrupt transatlantic supply chains and spark general panic in the US, a run on grocery stores, fuel, etc. What supplies from page 1 would you prioritize for that scenario, assuming no further nuclear war (in which case I’m dead anyway)? It seems like we don’t import anything absolutely critical primarily from Europe, though.

I would imagine a general slow down to get "basic things". Make sure you have plenty of food, water, meds, pet food, etc.

I suspect that it won't impact our shopping too much, second and third order effects that no one can predict will have the greatest impact. Likely on random items we don't think about.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ASAPI posted:

I would imagine a general slow down to get "basic things". Make sure you have plenty of food, water, meds, pet food, etc.

I suspect that it won't impact our shopping too much, second and third order effects that no one can predict will have the greatest impact. Likely on random items we don't think about.

I agree with your general sentiment but don't see how water supply would be affected in the hypothetical I posed?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
At worst the IKEA shelves I ordered to organize my garage get delayed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

pmchem posted:

I agree with your general sentiment but don't see how water supply would be affected in the hypothetical I posed?

If Russia goes nuclear they're probably also unleashing all kinds of fun things, including cyber, and our utilities are quite publicly vulnerable.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pmchem posted:

Water supply usually goes wacky due to 2nd and 3rd order effects. People will panic and purchase all the bottled water they can (along with diapers, bread, milk, and peanut butter) because they equate bottled water with safety for some reason.

Also, as mentioned, a nuke implies a level of escalation which would likely include cyber and/or infrastructure attacks.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Android Apocalypse posted:

At worst the IKEA shelves I ordered to organize my garage get delayed.

Honestly, this is the likely result. We don't rely on Russia for much.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Shelf stable food, stored water (1 gallon per day per person for at least 2 weeks), 2 ways to purify water (tablets and a Mini Sawyer), essential medications.

As ASAPI said, your local water plants might not be able to get the chemicals it needs, or electricity to power the purifiers, thus making your water supply tainted and undrinkable without boiling or purification / filtering. This is something most people don't think about.

Those are the first things I'd prioritize.

Let's also hope that the below video information will never be necessary. When he put out this video I thought he was just fearmongering for clicks. Now I think it's information everyone should know. Putin is not a rational actor anymore.

https://youtu.be/CYuaSHuwnd4

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 27, 2022

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

ASAPI posted:

Also, as mentioned, a nuke implies a level of escalation which would likely include cyber and/or infrastructure attacks.

I live in NW DC roughly equidistant from the White House and USNO so my plan for a nuclear war is “die before everyone else.” What I’m more concerned about is a cyberattack on American financial institutions- imagine waking up and discovering your checking account balance is $0. I’m saving all of my most recent bank statements and plan on taking out some cash to put in my safe (and asking my wife to do the same) but at that point I’m going to bet we’ll be on a path to another world war, and in that case… see my first point.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
So coming across some projects/websites like a website/blog thats solar powered and people designing open source "village kits" including bulldozers and backhoes had me thinking about if people here ever factor in offline information repositories for emergency preparedness?

Given you can download all of wikipedia thats 14GB compressed and 58GB uncompressed, I wonder to what degree would it be useful to setup your own offline database of reference material (everything from medical, to design etc.). Obviously I'm not gonna build my own bulldozer or anything nor am I planning for a full post-apocalyptic scenario, but the reality is in a lengthy enough emergency setting having reference materials (like DIY guides, mechanical guides, etc.) seems like it would be useful as long as you already had all your backup power needs sorted out.

Curious if anyone's put thought into an emergency preparedness scenario where electricity is somewhat available but internet is not. Or opinions on how stupid this thinking is.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I did the download wikipedia thing a few years back for that purpose (which reminds me, I need to update that with a newer copy). I wouldn't want to rely on that alone in a complete grid down mad max scenario though, and I have a lot of books.

I know I sound like a fuddy boomer saying this, but I'm finding books are becoming more reliable than the internet anyway these days. There is now so much bad information online and any given google search about anything has a pretty high chance to lead you to a forum post by some yokel that may or may not be entirely wrong.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Arven posted:

I did the download wikipedia thing a few years back for that purpose (which reminds me, I need to update that with a newer copy). I wouldn't want to rely on that alone in a complete grid down mad max scenario though, and I have a lot of books.

I know I sound like a fuddy boomer saying this, but I'm finding books are becoming more reliable than the internet anyway these days. There is now so much bad information online and any given google search about anything has a pretty high chance to lead you to a forum post by some yokel that may or may not be entirely wrong.

Wikipedia runs redundant data centers globally and has internal backup locations beyond that. The content is also replicated across many thousands of ISP caching servers. What's the scenario where all of these become inaccessible simultaneously?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wikipedia isn’t really useful if you have nothing else because it’s too high level. It’s more of a jumping off point to figure out what it is you want to then research. You want to archive documentation on any technologies you use. Like if you make some sort measuring watering system running off a Pi and poo poo goes down you need to know specifically which pins do what and how to interface your software with the I/O pins.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Wikipedia runs redundant data centers globally and has internal backup locations beyond that. The content is also replicated across many thousands of ISP caching servers. What's the scenario where all of these become inaccessible simultaneously?
The grid goes down but your generator is powering your computer with wiki downloaded on it?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

stealie72 posted:

The grid goes down but your generator is powering your computer with wiki downloaded on it?

How is Wikipedia relevant before local reorganization to restore power and internet connectivity?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

stealie72 posted:

If this is long term enough you need to reference Wikipedia to start building stuff, yes?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oysters Autobio posted:

So coming across some projects/websites like a website/blog thats solar powered and people designing open source "village kits" including bulldozers and backhoes had me thinking about if people here ever factor in offline information repositories for emergency preparedness?

Given you can download all of wikipedia thats 14GB compressed and 58GB uncompressed, I wonder to what degree would it be useful to setup your own offline database of reference material (everything from medical, to design etc.). Obviously I'm not gonna build my own bulldozer or anything nor am I planning for a full post-apocalyptic scenario, but the reality is in a lengthy enough emergency setting having reference materials (like DIY guides, mechanical guides, etc.) seems like it would be useful as long as you already had all your backup power needs sorted out.

Curious if anyone's put thought into an emergency preparedness scenario where electricity is somewhat available but internet is not. Or opinions on how stupid this thinking is.

Hardcover copies of Machinery's Handbook and Audel Millwright & Mechanic's Guide should give you a solid platform to reboot industrial civilization

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Oysters Autobio posted:

Maybe, but I'm thinking the most important stuff I'd want to be looking up is "Will eating/drinking this make me poo poo myself to death?" And "How do I stop making GBS threads myself to death?"

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

shame on an IGA posted:

Hardcover copies of Machinery's Handbook and Audel Millwright & Mechanic's Guide should give you a solid platform to reboot industrial civilization

I’d throw in these two books:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Knowledge:_How_to_Rebuild_Our_World_from_Scratch

https://www.howtoinventeverything.com/

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CopperHound posted:

Maybe, but I'm thinking the most important stuff I'd want to be looking up is "Will eating/drinking this make me poo poo myself to death?" And "How do I stop making GBS threads myself to death?"

There’s this- “Where There Is No Doctor” which is a health care resource meant for non-medical professionals. It’s like 500 pages but you could print four pages to one to cut down the amount of paper and ink it would use. I think there are also some green anarchism/rewilding texts on foraging and edible plants that would also be useful.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9yWkLloNwvIM3RuNDdWVlNWd3c/view?resourcekey=0-408-SHsRrTdc8-bhnQ3-aw

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This is a good read, but it is not at all a how-to manual.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I looked into the first, found out that it is more about society building and more of an overview (something like that) so opted out.

Has anyone read the second? Is it really instructions to make things (water wheel to chemicals)?

I want a book, or a few books that tell me everything from what crops to plant when to water/wind powered mills/irrigation to medicinal plants to making my own black powder (and other useful chemicals). Anyone know where THAT book is?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

build a society so that you have people who can teach you how to farm, engineer windmills and fight off the gorn. seems like the author had the sequence down

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Infrastructure in general is unsustainable without a society. Human development is less about light bulb ideas that could be replicated by individuals if society collapses, and more about the underlying systems that can scale to produce high quality materials, educated people, organization to manage these systems, and so on.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ASAPI posted:

I looked into the first, found out that it is more about society building and more of an overview (something like that) so opted out.

Has anyone read the second? Is it really instructions to make things (water wheel to chemicals)?

I read it, it’s good but written to be entertaining from the perspective of someone dumped back in time who is trying to reach a basic level of civilization. It’s not intended to be a serious tool in an emergency situation, like you wouldn’t need to know how to invent math or domestic animals.

I guess the part about how to test if a plant is poisonous may be useful, and it was interesting to learn how to do that responsibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

If this is long term enough you need to reference Wikipedia to start building stuff, yes?
Yeah, who knows, but its a simple download. Not saying it's the only thing you should do.