Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Nitrousoxide posted:

Something I don't see a ton of people talk about when they're prepping is planning ahead for cold weather sleep. In a situation where you don't have access to clean water you are almost certainly not going to have access to heat your house which means you need to be prepared for temperatures that would be as low as would be feasible in your area.

A good cold weather sleeping bag or camping down quilt can ensure that you can not freeze to death. It's a useful purchase even if you don't hike or plan on camping out.

You can almost certainly make do with a sufficient number of blankets piled on top of each other but keep in mind that if you personally require four or five blankets to not freeze to death in sub-zero temperatures without any heating that everyone else in your family will also require a similar number of blankets. You may not have enough for everyone in your family.

Failing to prep for cold weather has a number of knock-on effects that aren't immediately obvious either. Besides getting sick, which could make covid even worse if you catch it, staying warm requires more calories if you don't have warm weather gear. Many people are food insecure and this will make them want to consume even more calories. Everything can be working in society to keep the lights on at least and you can still have a home, but if it's too cold because you can't afford heating or at least much of it, you're going to consume more calories per day. If you're outside you'll want to consume even more because you're dealing with the wind.

Also if you get a cold weather bag, have a good idea about what kind of bag you need. Some of the bags are just regular bags, no more insulating than a bed and blanket. Some are cold weather bags. I myself have a zero degree bag where it can be snowing outside and you can be toasty and warm in it and all you need is a hat to keep your head warm. Some work at even colder temps than that. If it gets colder to put on more clothing when I get in. Though a bag isn't enough. If you've never, ever went camping before you still need something to put between yourself and the earth if you find yourself suddenly outdoors because the earth when it's cold will feel like it's vamping the heat out of you and that process is rapid.

Another thing related to illness. I can't suggest enough to get a flu shot.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/09/418406/why-covid-19-means-you-need-flu-shot-year

So if you get the flu and have to go to the hospital, that's really bad because not only will the hospital likely be overburdened, but we're still learning about co-infection, meaning getting the flu and covid at the same time. The Spanish flu rendered people susceptible to other diseases like pneumonia which killed them extremely quickly. Your body is going to be busy fighting off the flu and covid at the same time and the resources of your body's immune system are not infinite. So if you're sick with something other than covid, you should still try to stay home and stay away from people as much as possible because getting covid and the flu at the same time can be potentially more lethal than having either of them alone.

I have no doubt that flu is going to race through many of the homeless camps this winter, as is covid and if adequate sanitation isn't developed along with access to clean water, we could see outbreaks of diseases like cholera. If you're not eating well or eating enough of a varied diet to get you the proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, etc, this renders people more susceptible to diseases. Pure calories aren't enough.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

pantslesswithwolves posted:

So we got through the election (for the most part lol?), and now COVID is gearing up to gently caress the country hard and dry in the coming weeks. Anyone doing anything in preparation? I’m doing an inventory of my food tomorrow and will try to plug any gaps on Tuesday.

Not to be morbid, but I’m curious if anyone has done a living will recently. I’ve never set one up, and figure it’d be a good idea to have one, even outside the context of COVID and the general context of 2020 in the Hellfucker dimension.

I'm not only set, but I have four months worth of food stored at a friend's house in case I need to book it. I saw covid getting nightmarish all the way back in February and prepared not only my own necessaries, but I warned people that I care about and supplied many of them. So that's great for my mental health that I can retreat to my friend's house if a tree falls on my house since that's happened before.

My suggestion if you're going into hard lockdown would be to stock up on food that makes you happy if you're already well stocked. I have a kind of three tiered food pyramid where I stock rice, beans, cooking oil, etc as my base, move on to canned food like fruit, vegetables and soup as my center to bulk out the first tier and make more complex meals and then the upper tier is stuff that makes food a joy to eat. Good cuts of meat for instance, high quality ingredients like fresh fruit and veggies, eggs, beef jerky, chips, alcohol, nice cheese, that sort of stuff. I have about three months of food on hand right now so I'm rock solid.

Since I'm good I'm making donations to a local community near me. Most everyone still has work, but it's a poor community. Fully half of the city's population has used the local food bank in the last six months so a hundred bucks goes a long way to making sure people get their necessaries. poo poo is real dire right now so if you have a few bucks you wouldn't miss I strongly suggest donating to a food bank. Large food banks have lines that stretch as far as the eye can see. They're the modern day equivalent of depression era bread lines.

Covid isn't just about having enough food and water and shelter to get through the next few months. That's extremely important, but keeping up your spirits is important too. There's a rash of alcoholism, drug abuse, depression, domestic violence and suicide. That's been my focus for the last few months. Not the material stuff. That's done. The emotional stuff is what I focus on. The stuff that keeps me from brooding and dwelling and feeling like poo poo. So I've been doing tons of self-care.

I think that the best thing to do would be something that keeps you inside and not bored so you don't break down in order to be around people or so you do that very infrequently to mitigate risk. Something you can do to vary your activities and distract you from covid being a nightmare for the next few months. Walks and audiobooks are my main go to because the weather where I'm at is pretty temperate all year round. I'm nearing 200 of those bad boys that I've piled up over the decade and I still have a huge pile to go through. I bought some games and I have a bunch to play through along with Cyberpunk 2077 coming out next month, so I have that to look forward to. Which it isn't about the game specifically, just something to look forward to so I pay attention to the date and can mark the passage of time. I have some adjustable weights on hand for exercise and I'm thinking about getting a bike, but honestly I don't know how much a decent one for a tall guy would cost for just riding around the neighborhood. I'll have to do some research on that. And I bought some stuff to make complex meals and alcoholic drinks. Stuff to take my mind off things while I'm in hard lockdown.

Honestly, the best purchase I've made recently is Tabletop Simulator on Steam. If you like board games then you can usually find cool people to play with and it's just social enough to distract. I play on Tuesdays with a friend and it's nice to look forward to. Board gaming is undergoing a kind of renaissance right now and you can find a bunch of free mods and the board gaming community is super fun and inviting and you can usually find cool people to play with and move virtual pieces around a virtual board. So this is more about finding a cool online community where you can hear the voice of another person.

A few months back I helped people out with mental health stuff and I realized how good I have it now because I did my freaking out and panicking early on, calmed down and then made sure to focus on the material stuff and the emotional stuff both so it wouldn't happen again. I got burnt out on helping people and retreated from that because I realized that I need to take care of myself and the people closest to me because I'm only one person and that I shouldn't feel guilty for not helping people who are further away. So my world has become very small in recent days and I'm spending the days in relative comfort before I emerge, hopefully healthy and sane by the time I finally get vaccinated.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 17, 2020