Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Mormons actually have lots of good guides on the food part, as having a year of food on hand is part of the religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
For younger kids glow sticks are a great way to both keep them entertained and provide them a light source.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Also, this trucker protest bullshit in Canada is something I’m watching with a very close eye. They’re demonstrating how easy it is to besiege a major city and how vulnerable our supply chains are, and I guarantee you worse people are watching and learning for when it’s their turn.

Anecdotal, but the chuds I work with are all watching it VERY closely and openly musing about participating if it happens anywhere within driving distance. I think it's a lot more likely people who would never participate in anything like that are willing to do this, as they see it having much less risk to themselves because they're sitting in their giant truck or whatever and think they can just drive away if things get hairy.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I did the download wikipedia thing a few years back for that purpose (which reminds me, I need to update that with a newer copy). I wouldn't want to rely on that alone in a complete grid down mad max scenario though, and I have a lot of books.

I know I sound like a fuddy boomer saying this, but I'm finding books are becoming more reliable than the internet anyway these days. There is now so much bad information online and any given google search about anything has a pretty high chance to lead you to a forum post by some yokel that may or may not be entirely wrong.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I have one of those cheap amazon hand crank radio/lights/chargers and the charge function is useless.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Jedi425 posted:

The way things are going, I don't know that we can assume that we can even annihilate ourselves correctly. I'm expecting US nukes to rain IOUs, and who knows what garbage Russia has in theirs.

After covid I expect that if a nuclear exchange doesn't annihilate all infrastructure entirely that we'll all be expected to show up at work the next day and just carry on as per usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Can you even buy prussian blue anywhere? I looked a year or two ago and it required a prescription.