Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Thanks for the thread, OP. I'm easing my election anxiety with some emergency-preparedness buys. It's all stuff that would be good to have in any emergency, so I won't regret the purchases even if the chuds don't try to start poo poo in the next six months. I'm in an apartment in an urban core, which is a context I haven't often seen specifically addressed. My building was built in this century, so is likely relatively earthquake-resilient and the shear population density of the area means it'll likely receive rapid federal relief efforts, barring a scenario where Trump refuses to accept defeat and chaos ensues.

Still, I'd prefer to be prepared to shelter in place as much as possible should power or water be knocked out in order to allow relief efforts to focus on the people who need it. I'm good on food and water, but am missing some essentials:

Cooking
Though a lot of the emergency food requires no cooking, none of it is going to be particularly pleasant at room temperature. If my electric stove is out of commission, I'd love to have an indoor fallback that isn't going to murder me. Does anyone have recommendations? It looks like the majority of camp stoves are an absolute no-go as propane and butane are killers without very good ventilation. Alcohol stoves apparently are less risky, but I'm not immediately finding one that's targeted at this use case. The MREs come with their own heaters, of course, but for canned goods and boiling water, I'd like to have something. I'd rather not be hiking up and down the stairs and cooking on the sidewalk if I can help it...

poo poo
The Luggable Loo in the OP looks like what I should just go with, but I'm still looking for alternatives because it strikes me as something likely to raise a "this person is crazy" red flag to anyone who spotted it sitting in my quite limited storage space. Since I'm looking to shelter in place, maybe just getting the bags and using them with my actual toilet would be the best way to go? I'm curious how cities have dealt with this in the past during emergencies.

Worst comes to worst and my home is outright gone, I'm curious if there's much written on how to make-do as an internally displaced person. I'm pretty new to my city and, between starting a new job, covid, and being a horrible, horrible introvert, I haven't had much opportunity to build the kind of connections that are really important. In a typical disaster scenario, the best bet would probably be to seek out local relief efforts. If SHTF, I'm either stuck finding some good folks and sticking with them or attempting to travel cross-country to people I know. I'm car-free, so that would mean either hitching or cycling a couple thousand miles through areas that would likely view strangers with, at best, skepticism.

Lastly, one thing that should be added to the OP is the importance of having some form of entertainment on-hand in the aftermath of an emergency. Having something entertaining to keep you occupied fights both boredom and anxiety, even if ultimately offering only escapism from the awful poo poo that's happening to you. An e-reader loaded with a bunch of books is a fantastic option and adds minimal weight to your pack. Other forms of entertainment like games have the added benefit of strengthening bonds between participants (so long as nobody is a giant dick). A deck of playing cards or a playing card game is another light addition to your gear that'll keep you and others occupied while building community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Nitrousoxide posted:

An induction cooktop:
https://www.amazon.com/Duxtop-8100M...ps%2C143&sr=8-4

And generator will work. Also useful to keep your fridge running as well.

Gas generators will probably be the only ones that can output the power you'd need to supply your fridge and cooktop in the space you have. If you have a balcony you can pop it out there so you don't kill yourself with carbon monoxide.
No balcony, so I'm probably SOL. Could theoretically get an electric burner and a battery backup, but the battery backups are ultra-pricey and probably wouldn't get me more than a few meals heated :(

Unrelated, but what's the prepper equivalent of tacticlol? Spotted on r/preppers:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

ganglysumbia posted:

I’m glad I don’t live in an urban environment anymore, being prepared probably just involves being friends with the group with the most guns...
Hard opposite feeling. In any far-out, civilizational collapse scenario, an urban area at least has the potential to bounce back to something akin to normalcy. All the medical advice in the OP is geared at stabilizing someone until they can be attended by any actual medical professional because you're kind of hosed if you are stuck attempting backwoods surgery yourself. Unless someone in your family is a competent surgeon, dumb random poo poo like appendicitis will kill you.

If you're worried about needing to make friends with the biggest group with the most guns, prep for that. Build or join a community of people near you that you can trust to not only have your back, but to be trying to make things better for everyone. A mutual support network is a good idea even outside of the most extreme scenarios. Unless you're truly isolated, being outside the city won't mean you're not subject to the same concern about armed groups, either, and those groups with guns that do exist are much less likely to be friendly to outsiders or open to internal dissention.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Just discovered that my employer has three days of rations stockpiled for every desk in the building even while 95% of people aren't coming in. Water and ultra-high calorie ration bars, plus misc. other supplies. If an earthquake strikes and leaves the area completely hosed for longer than my own supplies last, it's good to know that's nearby and is likely to go overlooked. Unless the building collapses or someone else gets to it first :argh:

It's not impossible that they already have a plan with the local government to redistribute the supplies as needed, though.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
The only durable low-tech repository of knowledge is fired clay tablets :colbert:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

ASAPI posted:

I just thought it would be cool to look at plans that tell me how to make gears out of wood, or turn common chemicals into something useful, or how to make tools to shape stone.

All those things that we used to know how to do, but have forgotten due to automation in manufacturing or what not. Like what do I need to know to get grain to flour to bread with supporting infrastructure. My mental exercises encounter questions like that.
I don't disagree with the desire for the unambiguous blueprints, but How to Invent Everything gives a decent enough high-level overview, such that you'd probably be able to work out the specifics on a lot of foundational tech, particularly given that you'd have a ridiculous abundance of mind-numbing idle time on your hands in any scenario you'd actually need to apply the understanding.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I live on a planet with a history of asteroid-induced extinction events. Does the thread have any recommendations the highest quality space suit available to civilians? Need to fill out my interplanetary bugout bag.

:troll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Jackery has a Black Friday deal with some major discounts on various battery backups. 1000w Power Station is at $650 right now.

Anyone have any opinions on these? I'm sorely tempted, but I've had only one brief power outage in the last four years and worry it'll just sit in my closet, gathering dust and losing capacity. It'd certainly be handy to have around if Seattle finally gets hit by a major earthquake, but :shrug: