Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Godholio posted:

It's a lot easier to lug a kindle/tablet, a small solar charger, and a lithium battery pack thing than a stack of books.

A Kindle/Kobo loaded with books is a great choice just for psychological reasons, especially if you've got kids.

Now, I'm just a random civilian, and I was never in the boyscouts and don't have much of a outdoors background beyond basic camping stuff, but I got into Mother Earth News/Homesteading/survivalist stuff as a teenager and in my experience like 90% of "survival books" all have the same information in them with different editorializing/organizing and focus. Compare say, a bushcraft guide for hunters/boy scouts to something targeted at the "woah, I'm concerned by natural disasters, I should make a earthquake kit" market, or at preppers. You could grab a old 50s era outdoorsman's guide, or even George Washington Sears' book from the 1880s, and it would mostly have the same (although dated) information.

And some of it will doubtless be second-hand information. Like maybe the author is just recounting the "everyone knows" instructions on how to make a fire drill from FM 21-76, but they're missing one specific trick or aren't being detailed enough since they never tried it themselves. Or maybe they've got a desert survival section but have never seen a cactus.

IMO somebody would be fine with a single book by a reputable author versus a bunch of different non-specialized books, and actually practicing the relevant skills, however I would "mention as notable" the Collins "SAS Survival Guide" by Lofty Wiseman just because it has a pocket edition that's actually pocket sized, so it's actually practical to carry around and won't take up much space or weight in a backpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU