Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Voice of Labor posted:

what's the general take on caffeine preparedness?

I don't think my shelf full of cans and my few jars of instant are really going to hold out against any kind of long term supply interruption. even at a fairly modest two cups a day that ends up being a lot of grounds over the course of a week.

it's going to be a while before my yaupon is ready to harvest assuming I can even get the seeds to germinate, the caffeine content is pitiably low and drinking yerba matte is...unpleasant.

Pills are super cheap. It’s a couple dollars for 2-3 months worth at walmart and it has a shelf-life of years.

Definitely easy enough to have a supply capable of tapering off on if that’s your worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Pills are also pre-measured and easy to cut up to get smaller doses. A tub of caffeine isn't as easy to dose.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ok, so dumb question time:

Texas totally poo poo the bed last week.

If this happens again and power and gas and water are out what's the best way to keep 1 room indoors warm?

We isolated the master bathroom/bath so we would have a toilet to use without opening up to the cold rest of the house, hung blankets over the window, stayed in it and it was still low 40s in there after 40+ hours of no furnace going.

We burned the candles we had, but that barely seemed to help at all with the heat. (Though maybe it did, the rest of the house was 34ish degrees when power came back).

Is there something I can buy or could have done better?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

ASAPI posted:

Generators for space heaters if your situation allows. A tent can actually help, even indoors. Pile blankets over it to create a sort of “yurt”. The additional layers will help insulate.

I would focus on the generator/inverter route though. A space heater will make a world of difference.

Cool, we were already planning on generator. Because there's also hurricanes here we were thinking of getting one that ties into our natural gas line and has a backup of propane. Is there anything specific I need to know about storing/stockpiling propane in case the gas goes out?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Dumb question time: if you're going to rotate your stored water what's the best way to make sure the container is clean before you refill? Soap and water? Bit of bleach and a rinse?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

ASAPI posted:

Star san! It's commonly used for brewing, it sanitises and doesn't leave a nasty taste!

this is perfect, thanks!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

CopperHound posted:

Jesus Christ, can we go back to talking about first aid?

Here, I'll start:
I'm thinking about stashing some major trauma (as in this person might bleed to death in the 5 minutes it takes an ambulance to get here) first aid kits in all sorts of places for quick access. What kind of stuff would you include that is helpful but won't cause more problems if it was used by a panicked incompetent person?

Here are the things I'm thinking about :

• wound packing gauze - idk about hemostatic gauze. I would guess the complications are minor when weighed against risk of bleed out, but what if the extra cost means being able to afford one less kit?
  • Bandage/dressing for keeping pressure on wound
  • 2xVented chest seal - hopefully would never need it, but they are cheap and I can't imagine accidentally harming somebody with one.
  • Tourniquet - again, I guess there is a chance of inappropriate use, but would it be better to error on the side of caution and let the professionals deal with the aftermath?
  • Gloves - idk if I would take the time to put them on in such an urgent situation, but it seems irresponsible to not include.

E: hemostatic gauze might actually be much cheaper than I was imagining. I can't tell the the $15 stuff is legit.

Tourniquet, gauze, compression bandage required imo.

Gloves, silver sharpie (writes better on more surfaces/skin types than black), hemostatic gauze secondary, but very nice if you need them.

In my backpack I keep a small ifak that has tourniquet, 6"compression bandage, hemostatic gause, regular gauze, silver sharpie, strap cutter, shears, tiny window breaker, gloves, and some hand sanitizer (for me if I need to use it).

I've needed it one time, person I was with got bit by a dog really badly, blood was spurting everywhere. Slapped the compression bandage on the hand, stopped the bleeding very fast.

If you've taken no first aid classes I'd highly recommend checking out stop the bleed before you buy anything
https://www.stopthebleed.org/

They put on free classes all over the country. Go there, try the things firsthand, then figure out what you need.

You may also want to check out something like the throw kits from NARescue
https://www.narescue.com/kit-individual-throw-basic.html

They come vacuum sealed with the basics, there's several tiers of them, and you can stash them wherever you need.

Edit: also never buy medical poo poo in Amazon, it's rife with fakes.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

So I am stocking my basement in case a major storm or something would necessitate me and my family to shelter in place for one to two weeks.

Theres plenty of analog entertainment down there as it's the game/hobby room and I'm a huge dork, but If there were a power interruption I'd ideally like to still be able to charge small devices to give the kids a little normalcy and diversion. Are any of those advertised kinetic hand-crank USB charger weather radios able to deliver enough juice to keep a smartphone going, or will your arm fall off before you even get a couple percent?

If you just want phone power a small solar panel plus a couple of small battery packs will likely cost you less than $100 and be fine for phones, but not much more