Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Just bought an “expeditionary medical kit” which is basically just an expanded IFAK and TQ holder from NAR to add to my plate carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Yeah I need to stock up on water.

I’m still good on food, when I was with the Marines like two years ago they left a literal truckload of MREs lying around so when we were rucking only a short distance back from the field I stuffed my ruck with every chili Mac I could find.

Also veggie MREs are actually good gently caress the haters.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

The Rat posted:

I remember really liking the Spicy Penne Pasta MRE. Since it was vegetarian, it would often get missed in the first round of rat loving and was thus a reliable choice.

That’s the secret to MRE ratfucking. Let everyone else go for chili Mac and load up on the weird sounding good ones, then laugh at them day 4 when all they have left is “pizza” and that grossest chicken one.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Steezo posted:

I lived off of the Cheese Tortellini one during the invasion. Gun section was just large enough for one MRE box to be completely emptied so people claimed their flavor. The only veggie one that was bad has been banished and shall not be spoken of. Warfighter Approved my rear end, gently caress the omlette

Yeah I heard that one was hot garbage though it was way before my time. At first I avoided veg since I’ve read enough memoirs from the early 00’s and heard about it from friends, until someone was raving about the veg MREs being almost as good as chili Mac.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I’ve developed a lot of hobbies that don’t require me going outside. I’m going to really miss doing BJJ :(

Also got a baofang probably gonna get my HAM license if I can get my comptia A+ cert as fast as I’m hoping.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I stumbled on this channel, seems pretty non-chuddy and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4GYjhwfvwU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I’ve used dryer lint for ages too lol

The woodsy solution is just making a “nest” with dry twigs and filling it very fine shavings but a bag of dryer lint is easier and faster.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There’s always using crushed Doritos as.

Yo what

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Bleach, if you can’t boil. Not kidding. You can look up the exact ratio from the CDC.

Iodine and chlorine as well but iodine is not supposed to be used frequently.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

ASAPI posted:

Just make sure you get the unscented kind.

also avoid “low splash” or anything other than good old plain delicious drinkin bleach

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
At least in the USMC there were pretty strict rules about using iodine beyond a certain amount of time. I think chlorine was the preferred treatment method, then bleach, then iodine.

Apparently some 2nd LT once had the “good idea” of deciding that his platoon should just take iodine instead of enough water, I don’t think it went well for him once a prevmed corpsman found out and immediately raised hell.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Godholio posted:

Pretty sure we used iodine in SERE.

Great.

It's fine, I'm pretty sure it's just that it becomes toxic if you're pounding iodine water for months, since what I heard is that it builds up in your thyroid or something.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Wikipedia isn’t really useful if you have nothing else because it’s too high level. It’s more of a jumping off point to figure out what it is you want to then research. You want to archive documentation on any technologies you use. Like if you make some sort measuring watering system running off a Pi and poo poo goes down you need to know specifically which pins do what and how to interface your software with the I/O pins.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

stealie72 posted:

The grid goes down but your generator is powering your computer with wiki downloaded on it?

If this is long term enough you need to reference Wikipedia to start building stuff, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
In Europes Middle Ages nails were valuable enough they were constantly reused.

It’s also very unlikely all of the worlds technology gets wiped to that level just more like it becomes some sort of like sears catalog and expensive to get shipped over from the functioning place