Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Guest2553 posted:

e. for sleeping bag, I'd recommend something synthetic primarily because it doesn't lose much insulation value when wet. It'll be a bit heavier and bulkier than down, but synthetics are a lot warmer and have longer life spans than they used to. I'd personally aim for a zero to twenty degree rated bag since it's easier to vent heat than it is to make more warmth (especially if you have one that opens up into a quilt shape), but don't forget you'll need something like a pad or mattress below you to stay warm. Where/how you live will determine what temp rating you need though - a family of six huddled in a single room of a new build townhouse has different requirements to keep everyone alive compared to an individual hiding out in an open warehouse, say.

The biggest thing you can do to stay warm is to get yourself off the ground. If you're sheltering in a house it's not as big a deal, but if you're outside or in a basement, the ground is going to eat all your warmth dangerously fast. A regular air filled air mattress is barely better than your body against the ground for keeping in warmth.

The solution I use is cheap and good. Drop ten-twenty bucks on a roll of Reflectix insulation. It's basically bubble wrap with mylar on both sides, and does an amazing job of keeping your heat in you if you put it between your body and pad or the ground. A 24" x 10 foot roll will make you two, and the one I keep in my camping bed roll has held up to my fat rear end rolling around on it in hammocks and on tent floors for a half dozen weekend trips now.

As an additional measure, my car kit for winter (which I had to throw in today, what the hell snow in mid-October) has one of these survival blankets as well:

Several manufacturers make them, they're heavy tarp weight ~7' x 5', water and wind proof, reflective on one side and safety orange on the other. Get a reflective pad under you, and one of those on top, and you'll be maximizing your body heat conservation. Throw on a wool watch cap and you'll be toasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

We’ve got an election next week. Anyone do anything to prepare for it? I checked my shelf-stable food’s expiration dates, restocked my FAKs and went on a run to Trader Joe’s for comfort food. I’m feeling pretty confident that my wife, dog and I are about as squared away as we can get for our area; here’s to hoping that we won’t have to endure another shelter in place/curfew type of situation like we did earlier this year.

Bought a pack of TP, topped up my canned goods, and bought four liters of rum.

Going to be piss drunk the rest of the week.