Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

She ended up divorcing her army man and cheated on me with a 400lb 7ft tall dude who ended up not being able to get it up, so some schadenfruede there.
I mean. I know an impotent guy who stole someone's wife by getting her off 10x as much as the other dude could with his "working penis."

Turn your monitor on? Wait how does this go

A Fancy Hat posted:

it was my fault she cheated on me anyway.

I wonder what specific level of sociopathy she achieved at that point.
I have usually had relationships end more or less mutually, but every time I have been dumped the woman has told me it was my fault she was leaving me. I do not think that is sociopathy so much as expected breakup behavior. Unless you meant more the living situation, which, well, who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Only on the Kobayashi Maru

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

For the record I never cheated or have been cheated on, although there was some crazy chick I was casually seeing for a little bit who kept acting like she wanted to be in a relationship and one night she got drunk and called me and said she doesn't deserve me because she was still banging her ex. That doesn't count, though, because I never had any expectations of exclusivity, but I did never talk to her again on principle. A few months later she randomly showed up at my door and wrote me an apology letter and then called me like every friday night for months. I never answered. She had a drinking problem.

I think she married some short hairy bald guy who manages a pizza shop.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Mulaney Power Move posted:

For the record I never cheated or have been cheated on, although there was some crazy chick I was casually seeing for a little bit who kept acting like she wanted to be in a relationship and one night she got drunk and called me and said she doesn't deserve me because she was still banging her ex. That doesn't count, though, because I never had any expectations of exclusivity, but I did never talk to her again on principle. A few months later she randomly showed up at my door and wrote me an apology letter and then called me like every friday night for months. I never answered. She had a drinking problem.

I think she married some short hairy bald guy who manages a pizza shop.

I wonder if she is emailing someone she thinks is you. Maybe this happens a lot.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I did a few times when I was younger, it's not something I've ever been proud of and haunts me to this day. I grew up in a sheltered, abusive, toxic environment and it instilled upon me an unhealthy attitude towards women. It's one of those situations where I tried to blame my mum at one point for not doing more but grew up realising she was dealing with things herself and still is. It's still a presence to this day.

I got into drink, drugs and self destruction and I met a lot of lovely people who got caught up in it all. I was suffering with full blown PTSD and was doing nothing to help myself until a few years ago.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Who What Now posted:

I really don't think cheating is all that normalized outside of actual cheaters twisting themselves into knots to justify their cheating.

counterpoint: the french

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Yes, growing up I learned via my interpersonal relationships that cheating is what people just did so when I became an adult I thought it was normal. I never sought out to seduce anyone but I never turned the opportunity down when it presented itself. How I found the time and the energy to do so eludes me because now I just want to get to sleep by 10 pm.

I had super low self esteem so I didn't think I deserved awesome relationships with people who saw good in me and valued me. It felt like I fooled people into being attracted to me and the second we got together a timer started and it was only a matter of time before I was exposed as the loser I was.

I am much better and happier now.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
Never done a sex stuff cheat, but I did exchange inappropriate texts (of an emotional variety) with my ex-long term GF about a year into a relationship. Dumbest loving thing ever. I was caught because I left my e-mail open and there was a long winded cringe inducing e-mail written by me that my current GF found. My life would be so much shittier if I had somehow gotten back together with my ex.

I regret wasting that emotional energy when my current GF was literally better in every way. I'm cringing hard right now thinking about it.

One time I had sex with a girl who had a boyfriend. Prior to that we had been casual friends that had been known to have a crush on each other. We were at a party and got hosed up and there was no stopping her, and poo poo I didn't want anyone stopping her lol. In the end it was a bummer though because she cheated on her boyfriend and it was pretty well known so we were pretty expressly forbidden to be around each other from then on out.

That was also very dumb but I don't cringe nearly as hard thinking about it. I feel more guilty about her eating sausage the morning after and breaking her vegetarianism because she knew she hosed up than the fact that she cheated on her boyfriend.

Evil Bob fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 22, 2020

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i go by lord horatio viscount nelsons maxim that it's not cheating once your south of Gibraltar

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I did a few times when I was younger, it's not something I've ever been proud of and haunts me to this day. I grew up in a sheltered, abusive, toxic environment and it instilled upon me an unhealthy attitude towards women. It's one of those situations where I tried to blame my mum at one point for not doing more but grew up realising she was dealing with things herself and still is. It's still a presence to this day.

I got into drink, drugs and self destruction and I met a lot of lovely people who got caught up in it all. I was suffering with full blown PTSD and was doing nothing to help myself until a few years ago.

Glad to know you are better now. I am sorry that happened to you. I hope the people that got caught up got some closure if they needed it.

This really has nothing to do with you, but this makes me think about closure. I think people deserve closure if they need it. It seems it is common now for people to just cut and run and especially after they do hosed up things to another person. Maybe I am old fashioned but I think if you commit to another person you have an emotional responsibility to them and to leave without closure is just pure cruelty and a power trip. I brought this up to someone recently and they said a lot of relationships revolve around power trips. I don't want relationships like that. I would not want to have power over someone. I'd want the person I am with to feel equal to me and i would make sacrifices and compromises to make sure they are given what they need and if i left I would definitely provide them closure so they could move on.

Do a lot of people think relationships are about who has the power and people do not deserve closure and they don't have to provide that and by not doing so they gain a sense of power? That makes me sad if a lot of people feel that way. What are people's thoughts on closure? Esp providing closure after cheating or other hosed up things have happened and you're ready to end the relationship?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
does being with a lady in a open marriage count?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Star Me Kitten posted:

Do a lot of people think relationships are about who has the power and people do not deserve closure and they don't have to provide that and by not doing so they gain a sense of power? That makes me sad if a lot of people feel that way. What are people's thoughts on closure? Esp providing closure after cheating or other hosed up things have happened and you're ready to end the relationship?
I don't think a lot of people do it on purpose to power-trip. I think people just do it because it's easier for them and they don't care about the other person.

Like, if you apply for a job and you don't get it, you're probably never hearing back. The company isn't getting off on hurting you, it just doesn't care you exist.

LargeHadron posted:

Seems like a lot of people in this thread think that the person someone is cheating *with* is, in fact, doing something lovely. I wonder if this anecdote is indicative of a culture shift, or if it’s a difference between E/N and GBS posters, or something else.
It's not a societal shift, it's just SA. First, we're all older and generally a little more experienced and sympathetic. Second, the Objectivists and most of the FYGM people got banned.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

eSports Chaebol posted:

counterpoint: the french

The french don't count.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

feelix posted:

only ugly people don't cheat

you are kinda right. and its not that "ugly people never cheat" because a few do, but its that "attractive people cheat often" (because its fun)

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think a lot of people do it on purpose to power-trip. I think people just do it because it's easier for them and they don't care about the other person.

Like, if you apply for a job and you don't get it, you're probably never hearing back. The company isn't getting off on hurting you, it just doesn't care you exist.

But shouldn't they care? This is what I mean about emotional responsibility. I see people are lacking this a lot these days. They are so cavalier about entering into an intimate relationship with someone. People change people. If another person is that vulnerable with me, that does give me the power to hurt them if I was so inclined. I would want to protect that vulnerability. And if i ended the relationship i'd still "care." So I would want to make sure they had closure.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
actually, that's none of your fuckin business op

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I have a common first/last name at gmail.com so when I received an email from some lady I didn't know with an ultimatum about our relationship I figured it was just misaddressing. Instead of ignoring it I apologized while defending some of behavior as a defense mechanism because I care so deeply for her.
This first exchange led to a broader conversation about the nature of love and fidelity, hopes, dreams and fears culminating in my request that she the next time she sees "me” to just hold "me" and say everything was going to be okay. Presumably the relationship survived because she continued to email me about minestrial relationship issues (can you pick up milk?, are you on your way?). I got around those by saying stuff like "I'll try but please text me to remind me" but she'd still occasionally bring up big relationship issues because it was hard to talk about in person that we'd talk through.

This relationship has continued for years and I gather from context clues that she married the dude I'm Cyrano de Bergerac'ing a year or so back and they're doing okay.

I mean, it's not technically cheating but it would be weird if my girlfriend found out.

i'm convinced after reading this that this is the only way a relationship can ever possibly work, with a benevolent, sexually uninvolved third party.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hell Yeah posted:

i'm convinced after reading this that this is the only way a relationship can ever possibly work, with a benevolent, sexually uninvolved third party.

gonna get this guy to email my wife after sex when she turns into a bag of weed, a six pack, and a dreamcast complete with every street fighter game

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."
Never cheated on anyone.

My early high school girlfriend made out with some other guy and I was loving pissed when I found out. Shortly after this incident she dumped me. Lol. At that point in my life I had zero self esteem.

My first real girlfriend moved across the country to go to college and we idiotically decided to try long distance and she hosed some other dude there and then came back and hosed one of our mutual friends within three days and then broke up with me but this time I didn't know about the cheating until after we broke up.

I didn't really end up with any issues as a result of these experiences, I just attributed it to both of them being garbage as individuals and moved on.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Star Me Kitten posted:

Glad to know you are better now. I am sorry that happened to you. I hope the people that got caught up got some closure if they needed it.

This really has nothing to do with you, but this makes me think about closure. I think people deserve closure if they need it. It seems it is common now for people to just cut and run and especially after they do hosed up things to another person. Maybe I am old fashioned but I think if you commit to another person you have an emotional responsibility to them and to leave without closure is just pure cruelty and a power trip. I brought this up to someone recently and they said a lot of relationships revolve around power trips. I don't want relationships like that. I would not want to have power over someone. I'd want the person I am with to feel equal to me and i would make sacrifices and compromises to make sure they are given what they need and if i left I would definitely provide them closure so they could move on.

I've come to learn that some (maybe many) people prefer, or even thrive with adversarial relationships. There are lots of structures and institutions in culture that encourage and reward negative behavior, and sometimes these attitudes permeate into spaces where they can cause a lot of harm. It sucks, in my opinion.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

hell astro course posted:

I've come to learn that some (maybe many) people prefer, or even thrive with adversarial relationships. There are lots of structures and institutions in culture that encourage and reward negative behavior, and sometimes these attitudes permeate into spaces where they can cause a lot of harm. It sucks, in my opinion.

I agree with you. I notice this a lot. I like knowing I’m not the only one noticing this and shaking my head.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

hell astro course posted:

This was every relationship I was in until my current one. The last one was with a Spanish woman who just loved arguing about inconsequential stuff, and well, we did it a lot. My current girlfriend who I'm sure is going to be the one I marry is instead incredibly calm, sweet and regularly asks me why the gently caress I'm trying to start a dumb argument. It's unsurprisingly the best relationship I've had to date and way more loving and supportive than anything I've experienced before.

I'd also rather punch myself in the dick for an hour instead of even thinking of cheating on her, go figure!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't cheated, have been cheated with multiple times. It's basically not worth it and loving your ex behind her new boyfriend's back is usually a bad decision no matter what.

Anne Whateley posted:

Agree w/ this, people deny closure and ghost etc because they just don't give a poo poo - people who do it pathologically are usually the kind of people who don't give a poo poo about anything - and are trying to avoid confrontation. Power dynamics are part of like 100% of social interaction unavoidably, tho; the important thing is considering how you wield the power you have over others, not attempting to remove power dynamics, which is impossible (Star Me basically answers their own question on that, letting someone in IS giving them some measure of power). Sometimes people who are repeatedly denied closure in multiple relationships should probably look inward and ask why other people might be afraid to confront them; it could reflect a personal flaw like having a bad temper, being manipulative, etc.

I think sometimes we try to pretend "ideal" utopian socialization and relationships wouldn't involve power at all, but I really don't think that's sinister when you consider that in a healthy interaction, the power exchange isn't unilateral.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I could cheat, if I wanted to. Tinder is just an app-download away and last time I had great success on it.

I don't actually feel the temptation though, because this relationship is so good. Whenever my mind (my penismind) goes there, thinking about "...but what if other women???" I just end up at the same conclusion; I could never do that sort of betrayal to my woman because I love her too much. I think temptations will always be around for most people, but they are easier to dismiss if you are in a healthy relationship and/or if you're not a person with self destructive tendencies

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

but really, no. I've had a grey area or two and I didn't like that. I can't handle the personal/internal conflict/confusion or w/e. so if it ever got close, kinda? but I would not recommend it. not for me.

I have been cheated on and at the end of the day, retrospect and all, I guess that was a favor. it's not a bridge worth trying to rebuild, basically ever. too much trouble.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

My first girlfriend, asked me straight away if I was into threesomes and whether I'd be okay with bi stuff. Should have been a red flag, but I was young & dumb, and she was not only super into me, but also what I believe is called a "big tiddy goth gf". I could probably make good money of some juicy stories for cuck/threesome fetishists I kid you not. Anyway, I am proud to say I dumped her in the fiercest way possible, at the end. So there's that.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I cheated on my high school girlfriend, but at the time justified it because we were going to break up anyway. Then years later the universe got me back really good when my first serious girlfriend cheated on me and dumped me. I say "girlfriend" but I would have already asked her to marry me had I not been too poor to buy a ring. I was in a post-college depression, stuck in a job I didn't like in a place I didn't want to live with no friends or family around, and I'd just spent around a tenth of my net worth on a non-refundable plane ticket to visit her. This was about two weeks before my birthday too. I stupidly tried to be friends for a few months after but her obvious happiness in her new relationship was making my depression worse (imagine that). Despite her repeatedly assuring me that she felt bad for me, she never apologized because she was sure this was what God wanted. She was (probably still is) very Christian, so this was All Part of The Plan. Finally I pulled the trigger and told her I couldn't talk to her anymore. That night I randomly hooked up with a coworker, which was not a good relationship but at least started me on the path to healing. The whole thing left a scar.

tl; dr: don't cheat, the universe will gently caress you back.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
lotta my friends are cheaters so im very used to being witness to it. I guess im in the morally grey zone of not doing anything about it.

Havent cheated emotionally/physically on anyone and want to keep it that way. i'm kind a jerk I think but thats one area I want to keep some level of morality in. I've been cheated on once and for some reason that is a source of shame for me.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
my first pets were two goldfish and i named them patrick and annette after my parents' best friends at the time.

cut to 20 years in the future when my mom told me that patrick and anne got a divorce because he cheated on her.

i never had a goldfish ever again after that.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

I'm already a horrible and repulsive person to begin with, OP. :bravo:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Waterbed Wendy posted:

my first pets were two goldfish and i named them patrick and annette after my parents' best friends at the time.

cut to 20 years in the future when my mom told me that patrick and anne got a divorce because he cheated on her.

i never had a goldfish ever again after that.

Didn’t read the whole thing but tbh Patrick sounds like an a-hole

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Yep, and I hurt a lot of people including myself and now I’m in counseling. It was selfish and lovely and while the cheating experience was exhilarating I would not do it again if I had a redo.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yes and I still feel awful about it to this day like 12 years later. tiny little redhead I worked with. when she found out I was in an LTR she wasn't even mad, just sad. my gf never found out. I am a real piece of poo poo.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

The Walrus posted:

yes and I still feel awful about it to this day like 12 years later. tiny little redhead I worked with. when she found out I was in an LTR she wasn't even mad, just sad. my gf never found out. I am a real piece of poo poo.

Huh so one woman didn’t know you were in an LTR and the other didn’t know you were in a TLR

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

LargeHadron posted:

Huh so one woman didn’t know you were in an LTR and the other didn’t know you were in a TLR

drat

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

LargeHadron posted:

:drat:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have cheated and been cheated on and both suck mega rear end OP.

I have also been the other man a bunch, that basically also sucks.

Secret boning is the worst boning.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Ultra Carp

LargeHadron posted:

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

LargeHadron posted:

Didn’t read the whole thing but tbh Patrick sounds like an a-hole

Jesus man it’s just a goldfish.