Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
i think this sums it up best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c2olMFEhK8

tl;dr, watch john wick 3, parabellum on blu-ray or dvd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
In heaven, you can trust your fists AND your feet.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

What happens in the afterlife?

This.

Give me one good argument as to why this isn't Hell.

This goes back to my whole theory that I am already dead and somehow missed it.

Anyway, if hell is but the absence of God, I can't think of a good argument for how we are not already in hell.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

endlessmonotony posted:

This.

both heaven and hell exist here on earth, dude, and they are states we constantly fluctuate in and out of.. and yeah, hell is gross and common and we experience it every day. Nobody is going to argue against this implicit truth.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Star Me Kitten posted:

I used to have this daydream that I missed my own death somehow and was living some kind of solipsistic afterlife that I was not aware of. Like my brain activity in the last few minutes of my life somehow surpassed the constraints of time and what was perhaps 7 minutes of activity was perceived as an eternity by me... or just an endless string of time where I think I am still alive.

I bet that daydream would be even more compelling if rather than missing your death you had clear memories of experiencing it yet are still apparently alive. For instance, if at age 17 you had made a suicide attempt that should have been extremely damaging even in the event of its failure, but then you woke up the next day in your bed completely unscathed. Especially if your bed was nowhere near your final location the night before. If you were sure you did the thing and didn't hallucinate, dream or memory error it up, since those don't ever involve real pain and as crystal clear a recollection. I bet it would be especially compelling if there was some concrete evidence that bed wasn't your final location, for instance if your car remained in the distant location you had left it in with no realistic path to you making it home and into bed without it. All that would for sure make you question your reality, I imagine.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
How can you have an afterlife if you never had a life :smuggo:

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Moon Atari posted:

I bet that daydream would be even more compelling if rather than missing your death you had clear memories of experiencing it yet are still apparently alive. For instance, if at age 17 you had made a suicide attempt that should have been extremely damaging even in the event of its failure, but then you woke up the next day in your bed completely unscathed. Especially if your bed was nowhere near your final location the night before. If you were sure you did the thing and didn't hallucinate, dream or memory error it up, since those don't ever involve real pain and as crystal clear a recollection. I bet it would be especially compelling if there was some concrete evidence that bed wasn't your final location, for instance if your car remained in the distant location you had left it in with no realistic path to you making it home and into bed without it. All that would for sure make you question your reality, I imagine.

I feel like I am tripping right now.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The moment you abandon the idea of a permanent immutable self is the moment you stop being afraid of death and existence of afterlife.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

lardroom probably

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Colonel Cancer posted:

The moment you abandon the idea of a permanent immutable self is the moment you stop being afraid of death and existence of afterlife.

Yes, five year old me is completely dead and gone now, but I remain.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Universe Master posted:

Yes, five year old me is completely dead and gone now, but I remain.

Nah

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm currently in the after life AMA

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Hows the room service

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Do you have to wear a mask? can you go to a buffalo wild wings?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I once worked with a guy who, on the third or fourth day of training, casually brought up that years prior he had clinically died and been resuscitated twice from misadventures (once was drowning, I think) - and it changed him, big time. Or should I say, the first time did it, the stuff he saw and experiences while he was gone. He wouldn't go into specifics because "a lot of it was personal and hard to describe"* but talking to him about it wasn't like talking to a believer; it was like talking to someone who knows something, who (pardon the pun) lived through a major event. This would be one thing - as would the fact that those who also worked there for years with him before it happened would easily and readily testify how everything about him changed after he returned to his daily life - but the real kicker, I think, is when it happened the second time. He said that it was pretty much the same thing as before. Kind of akin to when you visit a city you've never been to, and then go back years later, the fundamentals of the place that make it what it is are all still there.

Now, what are the odds of it being a vision, delusion, or otherwise internal brain fantasy, when it was more or less the same thing the second time around? You hear of those on their deathbeds seeing visions of light, you also hear dismissive types chalking that up to the brain's synapses misfiring before shutting down. I think if it were the brain misfiring, it would be random stuff both times, and certainly not a tangible experience he could recollect.

You should have seen this guy - nothing really got him down. There was a spring in his step, an inflection in his voice. He'd try to have friendly chats with everyone he met. There was nothing about him that was "questionable", you know? Like he wasn't mentally ill or foolish or whatever. Just like the rich don't fret about paying their bills, he didn't really worry about anything because he knew that in the end, it's all good (and not really a total "end"). Which brings me to the * part:

"Fair enough," I said when he declined to go into the personal details about what happened to him on the other side. "But it was good, right?"
"Oh yeah. It was very good. I think all of it was good. And the second time confirmed that it'll still be good when I go back."

How many testimonies of near-death experiences are there? How many people do you know personally who've gone through something like that? Let alone TWICE in a lifetime? Here's one thing you CAN be sure of:

I wouldn't have wasted my time typing all this out if I were making all that up. That's literally the story of someone I once met.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Agent Escalus posted:

I once worked with a guy who, on the third or fourth day of training, casually brought up that years prior he had clinically died and been resuscitated twice from misadventures (once was drowning, I think) - and it changed him, big time. Or should I say, the first time did it, the stuff he saw and experiences while he was gone. He wouldn't go into specifics because "a lot of it was personal and hard to describe"* but talking to him about it wasn't like talking to a believer; it was like talking to someone who knows something, who (pardon the pun) lived through a major event. This would be one thing - as would the fact that those who also worked there for years with him before it happened would easily and readily testify how everything about him changed after he returned to his daily life - but the real kicker, I think, is when it happened the second time. He said that it was pretty much the same thing as before. Kind of akin to when you visit a city you've never been to, and then go back years later, the fundamentals of the place that make it what it is are all still there.

Now, what are the odds of it being a vision, delusion, or otherwise internal brain fantasy, when it was more or less the same thing the second time around? You hear of those on their deathbeds seeing visions of light, you also hear dismissive types chalking that up to the brain's synapses misfiring before shutting down. I think if it were the brain misfiring, it would be random stuff both times, and certainly not a tangible experience he could recollect.

You should have seen this guy - nothing really got him down. There was a spring in his step, an inflection in his voice. He'd try to have friendly chats with everyone he met. There was nothing about him that was "questionable", you know? Like he wasn't mentally ill or foolish or whatever. Just like the rich don't fret about paying their bills, he didn't really worry about anything because he knew that in the end, it's all good (and not really a total "end"). Which brings me to the * part:

"Fair enough," I said when he declined to go into the personal details about what happened to him on the other side. "But it was good, right?"
"Oh yeah. It was very good. I think all of it was good. And the second time confirmed that it'll still be good when I go back."

How many testimonies of near-death experiences are there? How many people do you know personally who've gone through something like that? Let alone TWICE in a lifetime? Here's one thing you CAN be sure of:

I wouldn't have wasted my time typing all this out if I were making all that up. That's literally the story of someone I once met.

That's super cool and made me have nice thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Hows the room service

They've got entire rooms to service u

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

hell astro course posted:

Do you have to wear a mask? can you go to a buffalo wild wings?

Everyone's wrapped in that weird slime from Fire in the Sky and I've put my fingers in guts so no masks are needed

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Agent Escalus posted:

Hah.

Let me tell you a story an advertising mascot once told me, by my bedside, when I lost all I knew.

It doesn't matter if the now is real or not, because the now is already gone. Only the effects it has on the future are meaningful.

I've been through things that should have, at best, left me intubated forever.

I woke up... here. It's all more than a little wrong, a lot worse than I knew it, it all hurts and wears on my skin and nerves like an endless stream of sand in the air, leaving me raw, ragged, and too exhausted to even be angry.

But it doesn't matter. At the end of it all, it only matters who you were, to yourself, and what you've learned. I don't know why I know it. There is no logic, no chain of reasoning. It's a should, not an is, and it is the only should I know - and I know it's the only should I can know. I don't know why I know, but I know I know.

Scott Lame
Jan 8, 2014
What if Heaven is like that high school party at the popular kids house that you inexplicably got invited to? Like, God's cool, but he doesn't really know who you are, and He and His real friends all spend the whole night upstairs making out and drinking liquor while you sip warm beer in the basement with the two chubby girls who keep whispering to each other and giggling and the guy who won't stop talking about Megadeth, except that it's eternity?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Scott Lame posted:

What if Heaven is like that high school party at the popular kids house that you inexplicably got invited to? Like, God's cool, but he doesn't really know who you are, and He and His real friends all spend the whole night upstairs making out and drinking liquor while you sip warm beer in the basement with the two chubby girls who keep whispering to each other and giggling and the guy who won't stop talking about Megadeth, except that it's eternity?

You can at least make out with the chubby girls, and Megadeath has some good songs.

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Universe Master posted:

You can at least make out with the chubby girls, and Megadeath has some good songs.

Talk about finding the positive in a bad situation

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Agent Escalus posted:

Now, what are the odds of it being a vision, delusion, or otherwise internal brain fantasy, when it was more or less the same thing the second time around?

Extremly good, considering it was the same brain being deprived of oxygen both times.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
there is no afterlife op it's all fantasy. that's why it's ok to write about in fiction.

you live, you die. the rest of the phrase is untrue. so make it count

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

There is clearly an afterlife im currently in it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mods permaban this deadposter

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Living in the time of COVID is a kind of afterlife..

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

The White Dragon posted:

mods permaban this deadposter

I thought we had discussed doing something different with dead posters other than permabans.

I think dead posters should be moved to their own subforum that we cannot participate in. And the dead posters continue to post. They just have ghost writers.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Do you really get 20% off MickeyD’s?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Do you really get 20% off MickeyD’s?

19% I wish I had been sent to the void

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

19% I wish I had been sent to the void

drat. Guess I’ll stick around this mortal coil a bit longer

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
The afterlife is an excuse for the religious to be the biggest cunts on the planet.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Just lol if you think that. You don't need an excuse for being a giant prick, some people just are

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

endlessmonotony posted:

This.

I can only assume that you’re referring specifically to GBS.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I can only assume that you’re referring specifically to GBS.

And no I can’t.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

my afterlife will be some med student trying to unsee my dead dick

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just lol if you think that. You don't need an excuse for being a giant prick, some people just are

There is a difference between a man being a abusive oval office period and a man being abusive oval office and claiming the moral high ground and the support of law.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

There is a difference between a man being a abusive oval office period and a man being abusive oval office and claiming the moral high ground and the support of law.

Woah Elaborate please. Sounds like stuff I get all huffed up about.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Nothing happens. You lose consciousness forever. The end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Please remember to use the spoiler tags itt