Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
The randos who play this game are great. Really anything you say can convince them to lynch anyone else even the most bold faced nonsensical lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
Just wanna say my wife usually hates games. But on this one, she could be playing for hours not a problem.

At the end of the day you could just be bad at games, but if you are a great liar you will still do well.

Eararaldor fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 27, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's weird, sometimes I play extremely fast a loose, shanking people right next door to others and win easily, other times I try to be sneaky and get caught out doing a task wrong in about three seconds.

Sloppy murder seems to be the go.

Killing people in out of the way areas works well. I wiped out half the crew without a body discovery once.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I downloaded this at the request of my Fiancee’s little brother and since it’s going to be a while before we have enough people to play is there any sort of random matchmaking? It seems like fun and I’d like to give it a try without coordinating 3 other people.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, the default is just to join a random room, wait for it to fill up and play.

I only play in games with 1 imposter though, because every time the game starts you have 2 or 3 people leave because they're not imposter. Also, with communication being more limites because it isn't voice chat, the imposter has an advantage anyway, so 1v8 or even 1v9 is still a good balance. When you're on voice chat with people decently good at the game you do need 2 imposters in a 10 player game though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Overall the game just works best if you're coordinating the whole room through a Discord channel

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

This game really is better with a crew, talk all of your RL friends into playing it. You'll have so much more fun.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

There are some discord servers that you can find that have rules and are pretty good about enforcing rules and booting trolls. I have joined a few and have been playing this game for way too much time the past week over voice chat and have so much fun. Some people do get way too tilted and start yelling but it’s fun when you kill them or catch them. There’s also nothing else out there that fills this same style of game for me, so much fun

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A good physical version of this sort of thing is Panic Station. It's basically "The Thing: Boardgame Edition", especially since in that, you can infect people and then multiply.

I've heard the Battlestar Galactica game is also pretty good.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
This is worth the 5 bux Steam is charging for it. The big downside is the groups in random that coordinate with each other even when one is the imposter, but beyond that it's fulllll of chaos energy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The best bit is when you're sure someone is crew so you follow them around so if one of you gets ganked at least the other can report.

And then they gank you.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I straight murdered a guy in 02 right at the start, no one else around. Virtually instantly after someone in cafe his the panic button, and two people call me out for the dirty deed. Good job being on discord together in a pub game I guess

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I have absolutely enjoyed running circles around most randos out there but the occasional good group I've run into has been a rewarding experience.

My only real annoyance is slow people trying on their dumb touch screen phones.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I've never had so much fun gaslighting my friends as I do in this game.

I feel like it'll get less fun as people get better at the metagaming and strategies solidify. "don't vote on 7" and things like running reactor when you've got 3 left are obvious, but people knowing the exact timings of a given task and given pairs makes some of it a bit tedious. I think removing visual tasks entirely (no "scan in use by ___" with visual tasks off and such) would be a good step, and fixing some of the bugs (like the oft seen on youtube "vent bug" where you pop out when an emergency is called) is a must.

I like this new crop of "competitive but not ranked" games like Among Us and Fall Guys that are showing up.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

My old online mafia crew gets together and plays this and it’s wild. I definitely feel like the ideal way to play is a group of friends in a discord, but do what you can it’s fun no matter what. Nearly every game for us comes down to the wire with a three player final vote showdown.

Does anyone play any of the maps other than the main one? The one with the airlock and the greenhouse is pretty bad but The Thing inspired map is cuckoo bananas. It’s so big that when you come across a body it’s a very big deal.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think Polus encourages a different kind of play, it's so open that it's easy for a body to go undiscovered for quite some time, so what crewmates need to be doing on that map is not just blindly walk from task to task so they can get picked off. Good play on Polus, I think, involves taking a break from your tasks frequently to go and sweep nearby areas of the map, making sure you are seen by others, and following people at a distance to see if they get killed. These are very useful skills on the other maps too, but you can muddle by for much longer on the other maps without learning them, while on Polus you'll get crushed by competent imposters.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
This really has potential but i've had one good game and the rest have been with dumb pubbies. I'm in a european timezone so I think im missing out on a lot. Any eurogoons that have a discord or anything?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

My favorite is when there's like 6 people left yet somehow you're the only one who will drop a task once the O2 is sabotaged. Last game it luckily bugged and went into negative countdown before I could fix.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.

Affi posted:

This really has potential but i've had one good game and the rest have been with dumb pubbies. I'm in a european timezone so I think im missing out on a lot. Any eurogoons that have a discord or anything?

Eurogoon here and kinda having the same problem, so in a pinch there's two of us. I'm on the Goon Discord, so maybe if we get a few of us, we can run games in euro timezone or sth?

Also, yesterday I played with a cheater. Always the traitor, doublekilled, teleported around, gave everyone in the server a pet spider. In the end he said he was cheating and to vote him out, then crashed the server. Didn't know that was possible, hope it doesn't become too popular.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

As the imposter, can you help with an emergency like reactor meltdown. I swear the other handprint on a reactor was an imposter who later killed me

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Goodpancakes posted:

As the imposter, can you help with an emergency like reactor meltdown. I swear the other handprint on a reactor was an imposter who later killed me

You can. You can fix any emergency as an impostor

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.

Goodpancakes posted:

Yeah you can. Sometimes you should too, if you are the first there or something it'd look odd otherwise. It's kind of neat.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
When you do the oxygen, my usual strategy as impostor if I get there first is to put in the code except for the last digit and sit and wait for the next person to arrive. If there's lots of time left, you can hit the last digit as they appear and from their perspective it's looks like you were completing it and therefore more likely to be innocent. But you still have the option potentially to kill them and try to force a reactor win. if that seems possible with the time left.

One other trick I like on the Skeld is killing someone in Admin, triggering O2, venting to the corridor above shields and doing the north O2, chances are people will show up while you're typing in the code, and then you all run round to Admin to try to get the second pad and whoops dead body. Clearly someone killed this person as they were coming to do O2, and it can't have been you since you were seen doing North! Works especially well if you have players who will ignore emergencies assuming someone else will do it.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Do your loving tasks people.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Kazy posted:

My favorite is when there's like 6 people left yet somehow you're the only one who will drop a task once the O2 is sabotaged. Last game it luckily bugged and went into negative countdown before I could fix.

One person can often do both O2 panels if they run over immediately and hit the buttons fast. It helps that both panels use the same code. (This is not to imply that assuming other people will handle it is a good strategy, mind.)

I won a game once as impostor by letting the O2 timer run down: all the crew went to south O2 while the other impostor and I went north and just chilled out in the room for a bit. Nobody came by, so I guess they assumed we had it covered. :hmmwrong:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Can anyone make a public game work right now? 3 of us have tried and no one ever joins

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Who do I have to give money to in order to be the impostor? 20+ consecutive games as a loving crewman, yawn.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Same thing happened to me, then immediately ended the streak with four straight games as impostor. What did I do with this gift? I killed the same person, in the same room, in front of the same person three times.

The other time I won the game because everyone assumed someone else would fix the reactor.

:shrug:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

TheAardvark posted:

Can anyone make a public game work right now? 3 of us have tried and no one ever joins

This is a game people want to play privately with their friends.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

RBX posted:

This is a game people want to play privately with their friends.

?

i can normally host a game with my friends and get the last few slots filled instantly. hosting was doing nothing last night for some reason which was not normal. Well good bye.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

TheAardvark posted:

?

i can normally host a game with my friends and get the last few slots filled instantly. hosting was doing nothing last night for some reason which was not normal. Well good bye.

Yeah, same. The matchmaking server seems to collapse sometimes though, so at peak hours you can get both unfilled slots and people being kicked out of matchmaking. It could have been that.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

?

I find it harder to fill pub rooms that aren’t Skeld. Also it helps a ton to have at least 5 in the room initially

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A good physical version of this sort of thing is Panic Station. It's basically "The Thing: Boardgame Edition", especially since in that, you can infect people and then multiply.

I've heard the Battlestar Galactica game is also pretty good.

the BSG board game is massively out of print and a bloated mess, but is also the best themed traitor board game there is.

there are much more slimmed down games like Resistance, Avalon, and Secret Hitler that abstract the game down to finding the traitors by trying to get them to expose themselves after binary choices.

the trouble with Panic Station is that the infected can win, so there's no reason to avoid getting infected. the rules were bad enough (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/695871/what-stops-me-turning-evil) that the community attempted to rewrite them - never a good sign.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sinten posted:

I find it harder to fill pub rooms that aren’t Skeld. Also it helps a ton to have at least 5 in the room initially

Yeah, I usually refresh and hit the room in the top 4 by # members. Trying to start rooms takes forever but at least you don't have to deal with the 2x speed zoomie contingent.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.
Just played a game with six players (they launched early). When five were left I saw dark green kill before my eyes. I report it and yell "dark green killed him".

We were pink, white, brown and me, black.

They look at me so confused that they don't even boot me and the vote gets skipped. We restart.

Around the table there were five players. One was green. The others see it too, one even writes after game "Black was right!"

That sure was a thing...

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I really wish they'd do something about hackers. The ability for them to disrupt a game completely sucks.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Kazy posted:

I really wish they'd do something about hackers. The ability for them to disrupt a game completely sucks.

i've only had one. i don't really know what they did, but game was over in about three seconds

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
They need to incentivize people to stay in games when they don't get imposter. Something like 'if you exit a game within 3 minutes of starting more than twice in an hour you don't get imp for a few hours.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Tears In A Vial posted:

i've only had one. i don't really know what they did, but game was over in about three seconds

I've had a game announce "you win!" instead of the "you are imposter/crewmate" screen, that was apparently a bug in the selection system that assigned 0 impostors (or gave an error+kick to the one it assigned).

The "game randomly over" thing I have also seen but that does stink of hacking, yeah. It seems some people can end them at will. This is not to say hacks are everywhere but every now and then you meet one, so there are a number of people using them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Outrail posted:

They need to incentivize people to stay in games when they don't get imposter. Something like 'if you exit a game within 3 minutes of starting more than twice in an hour you don't get imp for a few hours.

That's crazy to me. The most fun part of the game is getting in a side conversation with your dead friends and laughing as the alive people flail and die.