Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

To all the folks who have posted in E/N during my tenure as mod and to those who will post here beyond that time,

I've decided to step down, and as of tonight I will no longer be your mod. I've realized that my engagement with the forums in general has been at an all-time low while more and more of my attention is demanded by my life outside SA, and this subforum deserves someone more devoted to the role than I have been of late.

It has been a privilege to contribute to E/N, and I wish everyone who posts here the very best.

Warmly,

DJFBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PMush Perfect
Sep 30, 2009

Thank you for everything youíve done to keep E/N the place it is, DJ. Your guidance in how to fit into my role as IQ has been invaluable, and Iíll continue to do my best to justify and thank you for that trust and support. Youíve been a wonderful mod.

Iíll be keeping this thread open for a while to allow for well-wishes, and the gratitude DJ more than deserves, but Iíll also be keeping a close eye on it. Donít be weird, people.

Golden Corral Massacre
Sep 8, 2008

Thanks for all youíve done.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

It there's a lesson of E/N, it's that self care is important. So you gotta do what you gotta do, I don't think anyone can blame you for that.

Thanks for serving, I know it's a thankless job.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

It's been a pleasure helping goons out of the well with you (and sometimes pissing in it).

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

you've been a good mod and a cool dude

COMPAGNIE TOMMY
Jan 24, 2016

If you can look into the seeds of time, and say which grain will grow and which will not...

Who will not follow up on the posts I report now?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Take care DJFS! You've been a fantastic mod and you deserve to be able to relax and not be a mod anymore, enjoy!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!

deathbagel posted:

Take care DJFS! You've been a fantastic mod and you deserve to be able to relax and not be a mod anymore, enjoy!

Yeah, and thanks for taking a good self inventory. Hope everything goes well in your life DJFS.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

DJFBS you are a very intelligent and sensitive poster and you will be missed. Please come back someday.

I would like to discuss how I can take a trial run at being a mod. What are the next steps to see if I would be a good fit?

PMush Perfect
Sep 30, 2009

CmdrRiker posted:

I would like to discuss how I can take a trial run at being a mod. What are the next steps to see if I would be a good fit?
No idea. Iím pretty sure the admins keep the process deliberately opaque.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

No idea. Iím pretty sure the admins keep the process deliberately opaque.

Should I just make a new thread that says, "please promote me to moderator"? No one seems to know anything about this.

PMush Perfect
Sep 30, 2009

CmdrRiker posted:

Should I just make a new thread that says, "please promote me to moderator"? No one seems to know anything about this.
I'd say PM one of the admins directly. Whatever the process, I doubt they'd want to talk about it publicly.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I've been around a long time and can't remember ever seeing a public thread regarding becoming a mod.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

You've been a good mod of this subforum and I liked your posts. Hope to see you back someday, but enjoy your vacation.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

deathbagel posted:

I've been around a long time and can't remember ever seeing a public thread regarding becoming a mod.

The long and the short of it is that we look for posters who are active, helpful, and over-all seem to try and make their community (be it GBS or AI or E/N or whatever) better. The best mods tend to be posters who were already invested and trying to make a forum they care about good. Not necessarily through trying to break up slap fights or back seat modding or anything, just being a high quality poster who clearly cares about it.

When we have a case like this, where the previous mod is stepping down but is still available and active, we take their recommendations and opinions of possible successors into consideration. It isn't the be all and end all, but it's weighed pretty heavily, as usually good mods (like DJ Fuckboy Supreme - who let me add has an absolute top tier username) have a pretty good sense of what their forums are about and who is probably in the best spot to keep the forum healthy and happy.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Cyrano4747 posted:

The long and the short of it is that we look for posters who are active, helpful, and over-all seem to try and make their community (be it GBS or AI or E/N or whatever) better. The best mods tend to be posters who were already invested and trying to make a forum they care about good. Not necessarily through trying to break up slap fights or back seat modding or anything, just being a high quality poster who clearly cares about it.

When we have a case like this, where the previous mod is stepping down but is still available and active, we take their recommendations and opinions of possible successors into consideration. It isn't the be all and end all, but it's weighed pretty heavily, as usually good mods (like DJ Fuckboy Supreme - who let me add has an absolute top tier username) have a pretty good sense of what their forums are about and who is probably in the best spot to keep the forum healthy and happy.

Thanks for shedding a little bit more light on this. This seems reasonable.

I don't want another future DJFBS to get burned out from the sub so I hope you are all discussing a way to incrementally trust more people to be mods in various capacities.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Cyrano4747 posted:

as usually good mods (like DJ Fuckboy Supreme - who let me add has an absolute top tier username) have a pretty good sense of what their forums are about and who is probably in the best spot to keep the forum healthy and happy.

And, yeah, I'm definitely not claiming I can do that.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

CmdrRiker posted:

I don't want another future DJFBS to get burned out from the sub so I hope you are all discussing a way to incrementally trust more people to be mods in various capacities.

I would agree with this...if only they added a few more IKs/IQs at minimum to help share the burden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

E/N has several threads that have developed tight-knit communities that care about this sub. I believe if you do your research and reach out to some of these prevalent and earnest posters then you'll see what I mean.

Also, these are some very complicated and grey-area topics that are discussed in here. Quite often they need several people to weigh in and keep everyone in check for the good of the community. And if you don't trust some of these members of the community, then please just get more people (at least >2) from other subs lurking and responding in here.