Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Man, I got excited about this just from reading the various "about me" blurbs so far! I'm in.

My main hobby is designing and building LEGO models and I am OP of, and exclusively post in, the LEGO thread! If you're my recipient, I'm gonna try to build you something really cool.

My other hobbies are playing guitar (I have a telecaster, a Les Paul, an LP Junior, and a Gretsch Jet if that's relevant) and gaming (favorite games: Deus Ex, Fallout: New Vegas, Bioshock, Dishonored).

I would love to receive anything homemade! Knick-knacks or whatever. Food would be cool, too! Honestly, I just wanna receive something you made that YOU are passionate about. The general aesthetic of our home is "cabin-y" with earthy tones. Not sure what else to write here but I may come back and edit again before registration closes to add more info.

edit: oh, and for personal aesthetics: I'm a bi guy and I love ostentatious things. Citrus tones (lime, orange, yellow, pink) are extremely my jam. I also dig punk aesthetics a lot. I have a jacket covered in enamel pins and guitar cases covered in stickers.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Got my thing all designed, just waiting on some materials to finish it out. Super excited to start seeing the things people have made/received appearing in this thread!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

JEEVES420 posted:

My Santa got me a Table Saw (Some assembly required)!

The LEGO King designed my saw that I got almost exactly a year ago :)

Thanks Carbohydrates!
Yaaay, I'm glad you like it! It was a super fun model to design. I hope you don't mind, but I test-assembled it and took a little glamor shot before I sent it your way:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

JEEVES420 posted:

That looks like a render, what does your light box setup look like?
I don't actually use a light box! It's sitting on a piece of glass suspended in front of some posterboard. I have a big C-stand fluorescent light with reflectors pointed at the ceiling, and then I hold my cell phone flashlight in my left hand because I don't have a proper secondary light source right now. It's honestly pretty janky because I didn't want to spend more than a few bucks on my photography setup. I got the glass for $6 and already had the studio light from an old commercial project.

This setup:

Produces this photo (completely unedited except for crop/resize):

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Woah, beautiful! The tones chosen do an amazing job at conveying depth. Love that.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For what it's worth, I for one am of the opinion that anyone who's received their package should go on and open it already. I know the one I sent has arrived and I don't wanna wait a frickin' month for the recipient to post about it! :v:
Yeah I anticipated this issue. My package had "do not open until xmas NOW" written on the outside!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

peanut posted:

TUO you must bee my Santa!!!!

Today we received a treasure box of BEESWAX candles and christmas tree ornaments. My kids are going to scream with excitement. This printed guide is funny and interesting and cool, too.
The honey and cookies that they wouldn't let you ship look amazing. Next time <3

Thank you, Santa. It's going to bee a great Christmas!

ps. The chest has MORE wax and clay ornaments inside!!

Wow, all of this is absolutely adorable. I love it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Popping in to say I have received my thing! It's incredible and I love it! I'll post again with actual words and a photo or two when I have some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

GEMorris posted:

Awesome, I'm so happy that it got there before Christmas!
Same!

I got a box! It's an absolutely gorgeous white oak box. It's silky smooth to the touch. There is no immediately evident way to open it, and I super dig that, too.

It came with a pretty lengthy and helpful letter explaining how it works, but also my partner has had Japanese boxes like this before too, so they showed me how it goes instantly. It's a scaled-down version of a Japanese tool box! You push this little wedge out of place and the top is free to slide to the right just enough to clear the left overhang, which allows the top to lift off.

The tolerances are extremely tight and it is really satisfying to open and close this box. It's also beautiful, and proudly sits in my living room now. I love the wood, I love the size, and I love the hardware.

It has a large open compartment at the bottom and a sliding tray with organizers that sits atop that! My Santa, GEMorris, said they focused on the "into LEGO" and "cabin-y aesthetic" parts of my post here and intended this to be used to hold minifig components, or similar small parts. The compartments in the tray are certainly about perfectly sized for that. My partner was also kind of eyeballing it to steal to hold small art supplies, so we'll see how that shakes out. Regardless, it's beautiful and amazing and I love it! Thanks so much!