Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

First Time Santer Long Time Poster here. I mostly hang out in the electronics thread cuz I like designing circuits and stuff like that, so you'll probably wind up with some electronic thingy if I get you. It might even come in a box! I promise it probably won't catch on fire!

I'd really prefer getting something y'all make yourselves, and I really don't care what it is as long as you have fun doing it. Wanna knit me some potholders? Sure! Carve something out of a stick you found in your back yard? Rad! Rock with googly eyes glued to it? I might actually like that more than you think, I collect rocks and minerals because I'm that boring.

Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but: I'm a guy and also gay as heck so like, whatever style you wanna make your thing in is fine. You wanna make it matte black or bright pink with frills, s'all good, have fun doing it. I think most people in this subforum prolly feel the same way but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway to be clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Plus you might get the fun of imagining some customs worker carefully examining your stuff before hitting a big red alarm button that makes everyone scatter and calls in a team to plant C4 on it and blow it up.

That's how I always picture them destroying impounded packages and you will never convince me otherwise :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Somehow I thought the ship-by date was the 14th, not the 4th :v:

Thing should be ready by then, there's only one more part in the mail I kinda had to order a bit late when something else didn't work out, it gets here Wednesday. I might not have time to paint it, but the prototype looks pretty good without paint so I hope [REDACTED] doesn't mind.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Whelp that last part I was waiting for got held up in Cincinnati for two days for no apparent reason so I guess I'm not gonna ship by Friday :sigh:

We do technically have until the 22nd and the 4th was just the target/goal to aim for, right? Or is like the 4th the day you get probed, and the 22nd the day you get banned or something like that?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Be sure to share pictures of your delicious homemade book oil with us

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I didn't get my Santee's name, so someone is getting a box addressed to Jeffrey Yospos.

My wife was the one who picked it up from the mail and was like "Uhh... I assume this is for you right... it's got The Hacker Forum Word on it"

Thanks! It arrived a day or so ago but I wanted to get some good pictures of it before postin'.

I got:

1. This charming sparkly fabric oscilloscope

It's now hanging over my workbench and I absolutely love it :3:

(Holy poo poo has my workbench always been that dusty aaa)

2. Some Old Triodes

They still look good since the getter is all shiny, definitely have to play with these later. I have a few tubes already but I don't think I have any that are this kind (or this old).

3. The faceplate of a 1920's-era Majestic 90 radio

This I have no clue what to do with, gonna have to think of something fun...

4. A couple covid masks

Cock-themed one (tehe) seen here modeled by my lovely assistant (who was nice enough to hold still for slightly less than 1 second before trying to get it off, just long enough to get the picture)

Anyway it's some great stuff, thanks again!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I have no idea what you'd use that for in woodworking so I'm just gonna imagine it's a tool for a hitman who's tired of a boring old garrote and wants to do something more exciting with necks.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Did you get my tracking number? I emailed it a couple days ago but didn't get a reply, figured you were just busy but my email account has also been acting weird lately so figured I'd ask here...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I get the feeling USPS's tracking system is just having trouble too, cuz my package still says "label created" despite dropping it off at the post office and watching them scan it in yesterday.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just checked the tracking on mine and it appears to be going backwards :psyduck:

Like it somehow first teleported to Miami 5 days ago, spent several days there, then today at 1 AM departed Miami to head to... my local distribution center, which it passed through at 8:40 AM and departed at 10:30 AM...

... I really hope this is a glitch and I didn't accidentally mail it to myself somehow

e: Some unrelated package I mailed at the same time to somewhere else also teleported to Miami on the first day but appears to have left there at 9 AM Christmas day (when I'm pretty sure the postal service isn't even working...) and hasn't been heard from since so who the heck knows.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 30, 2020

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Okay, according to the tracking my thing has now... arrived at the post office I mailed it from... o... kay...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

And the box has arrived... back at my house. Rejected by customs for "insufficient item description" though I'm really not sure how I'd describe the item better than I did.

At least they didn't just trash it or something. Oh well, I'll figure it out and get it sent out again...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Opened the box just to make sure everything was still intact before re-mailing it, and stuff didn't even shift a little bit. I went ahead and carefully re-packed it and used stronger tape and stuff so now the box is ultra-durable but looks like a horrible monstrosity. I have now specified on the customs form something that I hope is specific enough, and I paid for faster shipping to make up lost time, let's see if it makes it :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shipping attempt 2 has made it past outgoing customs, though we'll see if it gets bounced once it lands :toot:

It's definitely not worth the extended wait but I hope you get some fun out of it, REDACTED

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tracking on mine says it was delivered on the 19th, I hope [REDACTED] just hasn't gotten around to posting about it cuz if it got lost or stolen this time (after getting bounced by customs last time) I'm about at the point where I'm just gonna give the gently caress up :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Okay I'm just gonna come out and ask cuz it's been like 10+ days since it showed as delivered: Tuo, did you get my box?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tuo posted:

Nope, did not get anything.

I'll ask around in the neighbourhood, but usually in the off-case that a new driver hands them off there (all the regular drivers know where to place the parcels if I'm not at home), they call or bring them by.

e: the package went back to Frankfurt, I assume for flight back? I have contacted DHL service (with the tracking number provided via PM) and they are trying to get hold of it for another delivery attempt, but currently can't tell if it'll work, as it arrived at February 3th and depending on flights departing it might have been loaded or not (if it was marked for return and not for destruction). Hopefully they can get hold of it.

ee: no dice, package is currently enjoying a nice flight back to it's origin

Oh I completely missed these edits. It still hasn't arrived here so I guess either customs blew it up or it disappeared into the Atlantic. I'll keep an eye out anyway but yeah. Sorry tuo, at least you got that return gift from Japan I guess :sigh:

I suppose I can say what it was: I had no idea what to get or make for you, so I just latched on to the "bees" theme and ran with it. I designed a little desktop... thing? Lamp? I called it the Honeylight because I am bad at naming things. It was basically a bunch of individually addressable RGB LED "pixels" behind a hexagonal shadow mask which projected onto an opaque front window, creating a hexagon beehive pattern of light. It had a (massively overpowered for the task at hand) microcontroller in it, that would read patterns off a micro SD card and play them back. The patterns were made using a browser-based tool I spent way too much time making. There was a big knob on the top to select a pattern, and because I like knobs. The case was designed by me and 3D printed, the circuit boards were all designed by me (though manufactured by a PCB fab) and hand-assembled by me, and the front screen was laser cut by Ponoko.

It also had this built in rainbow pattern that I liked that it'd show by default if you didn't select anything:

https://i.imgur.com/sqG7cI0.mp4

This picture captures the effect the shadowmask gave it a bit better I think, it had a real neat depth to it:

I have enough materials to build a second one but oof I need a break from this project for a while before I do something like that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JEEVES420 posted:

That is really cool and a lot of work went in to it just to end up on some customs officer's desk :( What did you use for the diffuser piece?

Initially I bought a bunch of different copies of the front window in different materials (because Ponoko's pretty cheap if you're just making it out of plastic) and tried various opaque ones, but they all had this weird diffuse glow effect that I didn't really like. I settled on this one, which is a clear but heavily tinted acrylic window, and I added a thin layer of diffuser material behind it. The actual diffuser material itself is from a big sheet of the stuff I got from the backlight assembly of a giant TV someone left out by the dumpster cuz it had a smashed LCD panel. I knew it'd come in useful eventually, and therefore it's not hoarding garbage it's collecting useful things :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

As if to taunt me, the box arrived back here today, mere hours after I posted about it. Whelp.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tuo posted:

Holy poo poo that thing is rad as hell and I would have loved that!!! If it by any chance makes it back to you, PM me, I'll pay for another try of delivery! I'll prepare the parcel service this time, as it's basically them who hosed up (sat at their office for two weeks with no notification at my place, and since I didn't knew something was coming, I didn't check there).

It arrived like 4 hours after I posted, it's sitting next to me right now :v:

Still works, not even scratched, though the box it was in had several sides crushed and a big gash in it. Managed to survive a trip across the world and back though so I guess I can't really fault it. Anyway I'll PM you tomorrow and figure something out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh I almost forgot, I also drew a bee logo in my EDA software for the main circuit board that I like quite a bit. Here it is on one of the spare boards:

...okay it's not actually that impressive but I liked drawing it :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Might be able to make it a kit, however the circuits are all surface-mount components since I prefer them but they're kinda a pain in the rear end if you don't have the right tools or aren't great at soldering. Also I'd need to source some different diffuser material, since there isn't much left of the stuff from the TV (part was damaged to begin with, and I made a few prototype diffuser sheets with it too).

Everything's up on Github if anyone wants to look at the things though:

https://github.com/ShameBoi?tab=repositories

I also deployed the editor to gh-pages so if you wanna play around with that it's here: https://shameboi.github.io/honeylight-editor/

Should get around to adding more features to it but I'm kinda burned out on this project right now so oh well.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

We can't do a postmortem yet, Honeylight is still on the way to tuo for the third time :argh:

Happy Aprilmas, tuo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Honeylight finally, finally fuckin' made it there. Tuo PM'd me and mentioned he was gonna do a thank you post but he seems like a busy dude and hasn't gotten to it yet, so sorry I'm stealing your scoop :v: Thanks for putting up with this whole bullshit process though, I'm glad you like it!

Mostly just wanted to say one thing we could do better next time: probably should share the tracking information with the recipient when it ships, so they can monitor it. I don't think that would ruin the surprise, cuz you still don't know what it is or really who sent it. The first time Honeylight made it out of customs, on my end USPS tracking showed it as successfully delivered, while on Tuo's end DHL had actually held it at some warehouse and then sent it back. Since he didn't know he should be looking for it, he wasn't aware any of this was happening until I started posting about it long after the box had already started on its way back here.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tuo posted:

I can't find my loving microSD-Adapter! I already programmed the thank you, it's right there....I just need to get hold of a microSD-Adapter to put it on the honeylight!!! I'm on it, I swear!

PS: the honeylight is totally awesome! Stay tuned!

I was literally thinking as I packed the thing, "should I throw in a micro SD adapter... nah everyone has one of those these days, it'll be fine" :v:

Still real glad it made it and glad you like it :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tuo posted:

Finally got my hands on a MicroSD adapter, and I know I'm not the most creative person on the planet, but still, the message stands: Shameboy rocks!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmRilp8Mlhs

Sitting on our honey creamer, and overall attracting customers to our little honey shop!!!

:woop: I am so, so glad you like it and were able to get it working with your own stuff. :woop:

The firmware's a little janky but it should do a pretty good job of just running uninterrupted, and like I said if it encounters a fatal error it just resets into the default rainbow pattern which looks pretty good on its own. I left it running some test patterns uninterrupted for a couple days before sending it out just to make sure it didn't catch on fire or anything and it didn't crash and barely got warm so I think it should be good for a store display. I still have enough stuff to make a second one and plan on doing that whenever I get back around to it since I liked this whole thing a lot, no idea when that'll be though, but once I do I can work on some of the stuff I had to cut for time.

Anyway thanks again for putting up with all the crazy bullshit it took to get it there. I'm super happy it all worked out eventually and my dumb toy idea is being put to a great use :shobon: