Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hi I would like to make something out of wood for someone, but I don't know if I should sign up for this? I can not afford to buy gifts for people right now if they want something thats not a hand made wooden knickknack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

corgski posted:

Handmade is more than fine, I don't think anyone here would complain and I think most if not all of the participants would prefer it!

Ok cool I signed up! Whoever gets me feel free to make whatever you want. I like practical things and a hand made tool would be the coolest thing ever, but no pressure.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Got mine. Ohhh this is going to be fun! :D

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to make but dang do I wish we had another month to procrastinate before starting.

:v:
I just sent my gift today

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I received a package from Canada! It contained an "Apocalypse Chess" set, a mallet, a magic wand (?), and some Canadian candies.

There's also a box to store the chess pieces and the chessboard is the lid. Sadly, the mallet does not seem to be part of the game, but I am absolutely taking this to my next game night, whenever that is. (do we have some kind of sad covid emote?)

There didn't seem to be a card, or if there was I must have missed it, so I'm kind of assuming that this is a DIYSASS gift. I have no idea where else it would have come from.

Thank you, Canadian woodworking goon!

:ninja:
Oh sorry I thought it was supposed to be a secret! I put my name on the instruction manual for the game. Glad you like it! If you are curious I posted about how I made it. All of it is recycled wood:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=509511881#post509511881

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 16, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

everything prepared, and then UPS tells you you need a clearance from the local health department (which is basically impossible to get for non-business stuff, and especially not during corona) to send food to where my package should have gone...

I'm so loving sad at the moment :negative:

Need to think fast what to do now...

I just didnt say there was any food in my box. lol owned customs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JEEVES420 posted:

My Santa got me a Table Saw (Some assembly required)!

The LEGO King designed my saw that I got almost exactly a year ago :)

Thanks Carbohydrates!

Thats adorable. Does it work?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sehkmet posted:

I've been gifted!!!

afewbricksshy, I have no idea how you did it, but this is absolutely stunning and I love it! Thank you so much - you're incredibly talented.

:eyepop:
Ever since I started woodworking I can see the code of wooden things, like reading the matrix. This is very impressive!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RickRogers posted:

Just realized, whoever gets my gift will hopefully have a garden, or maybe this will be incentive to get one!

Maybe you should send a garden too? Just in case

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can't speak for anyone else, but whoever has me don't feel rushed to get it out the door by the deadline. I'm not going anywhere and I don't care one bit if its late :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
drat, thats a nice press.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GEMorris posted:

Anyhow, take a look at this hand forged Drawknife that Mjan made! It is currently living on the tool rack above my bench, and I'm looking forward to my next chair project so I can put it to use!

Thank you so much Mjan!

:eyepop:
That is amazing

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I think I got my secret santa? But I'm not sure because it is very bizarre? I received a package today addressed to "Ruby Tex" so it obviously comes from the internet. Inside there was this note:

Other than that there was some packaging and two plastic knobs coloured yellow and green. One of the knobs apparently causes cancer and reproductive harm:

These are apparently replacement heads for a hammer I don't own? I guess I could use them as a hammer if I made my own handle. :confused:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 25, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Funnily enough I sent that a week after I sent your actual gift. The note was more appropriate than I thought it would be. Thanks, Canada Post. It's currently in Winnipeg waiting to move on. It'll make sense and be cool I promise.

:D Nice, I assumed it was some sort of meme multi stage gift. I can't wait, Merry Christmas!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
OMG OMG OMG I Just got my gift and it is THE COOLEST THING EVER. I received a box with much packaging, several layers of cards and letters, and THIS BEAUTIFUL HAMMER

According to the letter Bi-la kaifa and partner found this brass hammer among the tool collection of an old millwrite. It is made of solid brass and weighs a ton. It is engraved with the date March 17, 1981. The handle was apparently messed up so Bi-la kaifa made a new one. It is lovely and quite comfortable! That makes this hammer double DIY. The ends are kind of chewed up, but Bi-la kaifa kindly provided some new hammer heads to replace the old ones (see my previous highly confused post). I won't be replacing the heads, at least not for now. I love the original quality! I'm actually a trained archivist, so having the provenience of this hammer, and the exact date it was milled engraved on the outside is giving me some nerd pleasure you can not understand. I have a great many hammers, but not one like this, so it is actually quite useful to me!

Also included were 4 lovely home made holiday cards from Bi-la kaifas wife. It would have been nice if Canada post got these to me before Xmas, but I still have a few gifts to give so they will come in handy :v:

Thank you so much this gift is fantastic!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 30, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Hurray! Rutibex, I'm glad you like it. I was a bit worried about gifting something I technically didn't make but it's such a cool thing if you like old stuff, which I'm thankful you do. I ordered myself some of those heads too so I think I'll make one of my own if I ever get my hands on a lathe. Merry Christmas!

Oh I absolutely love it you made the right call. I mean everything has labor contributed in it from tons of anonymous sources, I just happen to be lucky enough to know two of them for this hammer :D

The new hammer heads will not go to waste, I'm going to make a wooden mallet to screw them into. That way I can have two hammers :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RickRogers posted:

Something arrived!

Complete with handy instructions, which is good because I was sorely tempted to wear this magnificent object as a crown.

Vielen, herzlichen Dank, Pagan, und alles gute zu dir und deiner Frau!

not going to lie that would make a sick crown