Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Count me in. My interested are making, doesn't matter what it is or how its done. Make whatever you want, I like surprises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

My Santa got me a Table Saw (Some assembly required)!

The LEGO King designed my saw that I got almost exactly a year ago :)

Thanks Carbohydrates!

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

Yaaay, I'm glad you like it! It was a super fun model to design. I hope you don't mind, but I test-assembled it and took a little glamor shot before I sent it your way:

That looks like a render, what does your light box setup look like?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Chip McFuck posted:

Yep, its a book press and a big one at that. I'm so excited to use it!

Haven't you heard everything is bigger in Texas :v: It has a working area of 16" x 11.75" x 4"(open) between the posts. Glad you like it!

JEEVES420 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 9, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I enjoyed telling the UPS person to send it to Chip McFuck...yup spelled like it sounds.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

is that suppose to be an end grain butcherblock floor?....is that a thing?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The USPS tracking info on mine hasn't been updated in 4 days so :rip: santee I promise I tried

A cutting board I shipped back on Dec 8th is still sitting "in transit" and hasn't been updated since the 17th. gently caress the USPS :argh:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Oh I completely missed these edits. It still hasn't arrived here so I guess either customs blew it up or it disappeared into the Atlantic. I'll keep an eye out anyway but yeah. Sorry tuo, at least you got that return gift from Japan I guess :sigh:

I suppose I can say what it was: I had no idea what to get or make for you, so I just latched on to the "bees" theme and ran with it. I designed a little desktop... thing? Lamp? I called it the Honeylight because I am bad at naming things. It was basically a bunch of individually addressable RGB LED "pixels" behind a hexagonal shadow mask which projected onto an opaque front window, creating a hexagon beehive pattern of light. It had a (massively overpowered for the task at hand) microcontroller in it, that would read patterns off a micro SD card and play them back. The patterns were made using a browser-based tool I spent way too much time making. There was a big knob on the top to select a pattern, and because I like knobs. The case was designed by me and 3D printed, the circuit boards were all designed by me (though manufactured by a PCB fab) and hand-assembled by me, and the front screen was laser cut by Ponoko.

It also had this built in rainbow pattern that I liked that it'd show by default if you didn't select anything:

https://i.imgur.com/sqG7cI0.mp4

This picture captures the effect the shadowmask gave it a bit better I think, it had a real neat depth to it:

I have enough materials to build a second one but oof I need a break from this project for a while before I do something like that.

That is really cool and a lot of work went in to it just to end up on some customs officer's desk :( What did you use for the diffuser piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

As if to taunt me, the box arrived back here today, mere hours after I posted about it. Whelp.

Hey now, at least you got it back.