Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Unfinish3d posted:

I am in iowa. I will be sure to post as I am ripped limb from limb by feral hogs
We don’t have a breeding population of feral pigs here, those are all farm animals. If we had feral hogs I’d hunt them all the time but alas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Motherfucker posted:

So what you're saying is there's a huge population of food animals just ready and waiting to be shot and eaten by a hungry populace when the economy finally shits itself inside out?

Unfortunately adult hog meat usually tastes like piss.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Turn it to pet food, dogs and cats are not terribly discerning in the quality of meat.

If i lived anywhere near an invasive population of wild hogs I'd take it as an excuse to keep more pets and take hunting as a hobby.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Dmitri-9 posted:

oh dang I thought hogs would taste real good

naem
May 29, 2011

Dmitri-9 posted:

I understand that people trap them and feed them for several months to fatten them up and remove some of the piss flavor which comes from their diet and lifestyle

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lazyhound posted:

I can’t wait for CWD to jump the species barrier.

It already has. Undetected prion disease explains most of what's going on in rural America.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
New Zealand's feral hogs are delicious. I don't suppose they piss on themselves less, maybe America is a toxic hellhole though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If we had feral hogs here in Israel they'd taste of gunpowder and regret.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

oh dang I thought hogs would taste real good

surprisingly the reason most people don't live off wild hog, squirrel, and venison, and the reason that entire industries revolve around meat raising and production, isn't that people don't want to do it themselves, it's that it's designed to taste better and we're ingrained to want it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dmitri-9 posted:

Came here to post this.

After a certain size only a few cuts of meat are any good, and butchering the larger hogs is a pain in the rear end. They're good if you can get 'em young

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I thought they only taste like piss when you cut them wrong. Maybe rupture the bladder, or was it the kidney? Forgot.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

busalover posted:

I thought they only taste like piss when you cut them wrong. Maybe rupture the bladder, or was it the kidney? Forgot.

From a quick google you MAY be thinking of the fact that what it accumulates in is the fat, so if you're really really really zealous about cutting as much fat off as possible you can probably REDUCE the taste of piss. It's still there for any boar that's not extremely young or castrated though. Sows would be fine for piss-taste-purposes specifically but you gotta cook the hell out of them because of really really nasty parasites that are hella common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Wild game is usually tastes bad because people cook the hell out of it due to parasites. I started to sous vide my venison last year to exactly the safe temp, and surprise it's pretty palatable when it doesn't have the consistancy of a boot.