Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You can actually click the little menu next to a recommended video and say you're not interested, and it cleans up the problem entirely if you hit one or two good ones. Like, I think I did that with a Shapiro video and some racist Swede (not that one), and I haven't gotten a single recommendation along those lines since then. I think the algorithm has basically decided it's an all-or-nothing thing. If you like one racist video you'll watch the rest, if you don't you'll hate them. Which is probably fair, the only exceptions is gonna be when they recommend a racist video from your nation's traditional enemies.

It is emblematic of similar approaches used in other types of algorithms, like ones that define non-whites as inherently more criminal and "scientifically" bake in racist attitudes and creating a feedback loop that reinforced the original ideology. Basically, if they can't even make this work, and don't even test whether some facial recognition software recognizes non-whites in fun stuff, what are the chances they do due diligence on more serious issues where it's even harder to check if it's working correctly - in fact, it appears to be working perfectly, mirroring the entirely "neutral" data you put in.

Was your racist YouTube Swede the fat guy who goes and makes coffee from a pile of twigs he's gathered in the forest while wearing 1500 eur of Fjallraven gear in a little clearing that's probably 20 meters from his car and he gives bizzare lectures on masculinity and how modern society sucks because you can't pee anywhere you want? I feel like there's probably a lot of racist YouTube Swedes, but I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Just googled varg, not him. This is apparently a big genre.