Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I'm torn on this, Really hope this doesn't mean I'm gonna have to buy the next TES on the MS store on windows 10. I gave up already on just having my games in steam, but I have constant problems with forza 7 and horizon 3 and 4 which are first/second party MS games, Not even counting the issues MS Store has sometimes with resuming paused downloads and it's inability to move games to a different HDD. Not to say Beth hasn't been an absolute poo poo show recently.

Guess it could be worse, sony could've bought them and I could be forced to buy a ps5 or wait 5 years after release for a pc port finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

exquisite tea posted:

John Gonzalez, the main writer for New Vegas, has just wrapped work on Horizon 2 and is now with some startup Spanish developer.

Any idea what the startup is / what his relationship with them is? Gonzalez proved his bona fides to me forever and ever with Horizon, I'd love to see him get back to work on a Fallout but tbf I'd also love to see him do basically whatever.

Brian Mitsoda is a free agent now too, right? As far as I can tell it's still super unclear what got him booted from Bloodlines 2 -- if it was creative difference or office politics instead of something like abusive behavior I'd love to see him go home to the old Black Isle crew.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No idea, other than it's a new studio doing "an open world IP."

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'm torn on this, Really hope this doesn't mean I'm gonna have to buy the next TES on the MS store on windows 10. I gave up already on just having my games in steam, but I have constant problems with forza 7 and horizon 3 and 4 which are first/second party MS games, Not even counting the issues MS Store has sometimes with resuming paused downloads and it's inability to move games to a different HDD. Not to say Beth hasn't been an absolute poo poo show recently.
I wouldn't be worried about this.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Oh yeah true haha, major brain gap.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

"Requires 3rd-Party Account: Xbox Live"

Edit: I guess they specifically mentioned downloading games. nm

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

itry posted:

"Requires 3rd-Party Account: Xbox Live"

That's your Microsoft account. You probably have one if you use Windows 10.

That's it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

As long as I don't have to use the win10 store to play Deathloop, or Dishonored 3 (wishful thinking) then I guess I don't really care.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

doom guy in smash master chief as the echo fighter

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
$7.5B seems like a massive overpay but I guess it's not my money lol.

Unless Starfield has enough work already put into it that it can be reasonably pushed out the door by next year, my guess is it gets shitcanned so more focus can be put into the real moneymakers Fallout and Elder Scrolls. You don't drop that much money on a studio to take a gamble on some new original IP they have cooking you want the stuff you know is going to make gangbusters.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sydin posted:

I mean just the Doom, Elder scrolls, Fallout, Quake, Dishonored and Wolfenstein, IP's alone would be worth a fair bit.

Also what ever ID Tech engine they're up to now. Also just a whole bunch of studios.

Wouldn't say MS got a bargain or anything but the Price seems pretty reasonable to me actually.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydin posted:

Unless Starfield has enough work already put into it that it can be reasonably pushed out the door by next year, my guess is it gets shitcanned so more focus can be put into the real moneymakers Fallout and Elder Scrolls. You don't drop that much money on a studio to take a gamble on some new original IP they have cooking you want the stuff you know is going to make gangbusters.

Fallout 4 was terrible and 76 was so terrible even bethesda-fallout-likers have to admit it's terrible. They really need something to cleanse their palate before ruining up another new fallout

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
just let bethesda churn out those elder scrolls and give obsidian fallout

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
TES 6 DLC: Avowed. This acquisition has major implications. I am not sure what it means for players. MS countermove to Epic buying exclucivity? Easier to buy the developer. I have my doubts and I am saying this as xbox game pass PC subscriber. Time will tell.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
While we're listing dream scenarios I'd also appreciate it somebody finally stepped in and forced Bethesda to stop using the loving Creation engine.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sydin posted:

While we're listing dream scenarios I'd also appreciate it somebody finally stepped in and forced Bethesda to stop using the loving Creation engine.

The sooner Bethesda switch to the minesweeper engine the better. :colbert:

Burns
May 10, 2008

Todd "it just works" Howard.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

BoosterDuck posted:

just let bethesda churn out those elder scrolls and give obsidian fallout

:hmmyes:

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Sydin posted:

I mean bethesda has famous good engine users Id Tech/Arkane right there for years but it doesnt stop them from using the creation engine. They will never stop using it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

It's a good time to be a PC gamer, thank you M$.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

lalaland posted:

I mean bethesda has famous good engine users Id Tech/Arkane right there for years but it doesnt stop them from using the creation engine. They will never stop using it
Up until recently, Id's insistence on Megatextures would have basically destroyed hard drives everywhere when combined with an open world. Also, Id Tech is currently nowhere near as moddable as Creation due to the tech decisions made around Megatextures. They're still walking those back.

While Creation's flaws are preeeeetty evident at this point, it's definitely proven its got a place in allowing a surprisingly small team by AAA standards to build big open worlds with fuckloads of clutter and content.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’m not buying a freaking Xbox and I don’t know if I really want to drop 1.5k on a new PC in a year or two. Really don’t like these exclusivity deals.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After Outer Worlds I'm perfectly fine with Bethesda doing Fallout

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Burns
May 10, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

After Outer Worlds I'm perfectly fine with Bethesda doing Fallout

Say that to me again, slowly. I do agree though - FO NV is one of the few games where i gave a poo poo about game characters.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Burns posted:

Say that to me again, slowly. I do agree though - FO NV is one of the few games where i gave a poo poo about game characters.

Outer Worlds was really, really bad.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
this would have be a real shame if it involved any good franchises :grin:

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Ohtsam posted:

This is Microsoft positioning themselves as the Netflix of games.

Well, since their grand decades-spanning plan to dominate the living room via the Xbox didn't pan out at all (and dies a little more every time a smart TV or streaming stick/box is sold) that just might be their re-positioning after all. Plus they do have history of playing ball with the competition, with Minecraft Mario and that DS port of Viva Pinata (back when they were gung-ho about THAT franchise becoming a Big Thing) so who else has the clout, coffers, and cloud servers to gather as many licenses and titles as they can? GameTap...er, tapped out after a few years, OnLive died early, Sony's keeping their Gaikai purchase proprietary, and Google is standing by Stadia despite everything it's turned out to actually be. If anyone can be the Netflix of games in the 20s, it's MS.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran
Obviously a lot unresolved regarding exclusivity, but I'm interested in the development implications.

Microsoft is making a lot of noise about 'platform doesn't matter, enjoy gamepass wherever you play'. What does that mean as far as design goes for future titles? For how long does Microsoft want its studios to target old consoles? How long is Xbox One S going to be supported during the generation transition?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Watch Kaz Hirai start a loving war

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Fallout + RAGE Engine. Do it. Make it happen Bill Gates

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Bethesda already had the ability to do that if they wanted to.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Surely this time Microsoft's ownership of game studios won't go the same way it's gone in the past.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

rope kid posted:

Bethesda already had the ability to do that if they wanted to.

Does this have any impact on you at all

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
One thing that has been mentioned by a few people online is that Bethesda has been traditionally against remakes, where as Microsoft aren't and have a whole bunch of studios, so we might see some remakes put into development.

Particular with Fallout, just because between the Starfield and the next Elder Scrolls, unless changes are made, it's going to be a long time until Bethesda will even have a chance to start working on a new Fallout game and with the Fallout 4 sales figures Microsoft will definitely be keen on something Fallout (that isn't 76 lol).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

7.5b is a lot of money, but DOOM / FALLOUT / TES are massive, massive properties. They also have a lot of cultural cachet - each has their own huge fanbases that will gladly shell out for any tie ins. They can just point part of the minecraft merch machine and flood the world with terrible, terrible branded junk.

Wild that Skyrim came out in 2012, eight years ago. It came out closer to Half Life 2 than today, but is still talked about like a current property. Mega impact for such a generic property.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Argas posted:

Surely this time Microsoft's ownership of game studios won't go the same way it's gone in the past.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

tithin posted:

Does this have any impact on you at all
Not as far as I can tell. It's just another group of companies Obsidian's parent company acquired.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

rope kid posted:

Not as far as I can tell. It's just another group of companies Obsidian's parent company acquired.

At the very least isn't there now a bunch of IP you can more easily pitch for? Like a Commander Keen RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
We'll finally see if the common gossip that they've wanted to update their engine for years but the ancient liches that resided on the board of directors went "Spend money? lol naw" is true, because there is literally no excuse now. And if they don't people can shut the hell up with that one.