Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

1. When did you first hear about what would become AEW?
Genuinely don't remember. I remember there rumors in late 2018, but I didn't really take them seriously so I don't remember exactly when I heard them.

2. When did you first believe it was happening?
When the trademark filings came out(December? November?)

3. What was your reaction and what did you think it would be like?
I was initially very hopeful about AEW. I have very strong(and very negative) opinions on WWE, and there being another company for people to not just be able to make a living at, but to build a career in, was something American pro wrestling has desperately needed over the past 2 decades.

4. Did you believe they would get a TV deal at first? When did you start to believe it would be a good deal?
The way Meltzer talked about AEW getting a TV deal, to me it read very obviously like he knew it was a done deal but couldn't act like he knew it was a done deal. I didn't think it'd be 2 hours, weekday primetime, though. I figured it'd be like 10pm on Saturday or something.

5. What was your first guess of what the product would be like? Has it been anything close to what you expected?
Like a lot of people at the time, I thought it would similar to NJPW, or ROH(when it was good) with a big budget. I recall my initial reaction to the first Dynamite, which I posted to a discord server: "Nitro is back, baby!"

6. Is it better or worse than you expected?
Storylinewise, better. In-ring, worse. Not that it's bad, I just had very high hopes. I did not forsee the Forbidden Portal. Plus I've been kinda spoiled by commercial-free wrestling, and the commercial breaks really drag down TV matches for me.

7. Has AEW changed how you watch/enjoy wrestling?
AEW has genuinely made my life better. Having something consistently good to look forward to on a Wednesday really helps the week go by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU