Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I had always been kind of in and out of wrestling. I watched it because people in my life did but I never sought out wrestling for my own enjoyment. Started watching WWE around 2008 and stopped a few years later. Started again when I met my wife in 2017 but we burned out on WWE again very quickly. I lurked Wrestlehut the whole time though, because y'all are great.

1. When did you first hear about what would become AEW?
A few days before the first episode aired.

3. What was your reaction and what did you think it would be like?
Not excited. I was pretty beaten down as a fan. As a very casual observer, I hadn't heard of most of the roster at the beginning, so I figured it would be mostly WWE outcasts. Honestly Moxley was the reason I gave AEW a shot. He was one of my favorites from my last attempt at WWE, even though I couldn't remember his name and just called him Jeans Man.

5. What was your first guess of what the product would be like? Has it been anything close to what you expected?
I expected more WWE: depressed muscle people in a soap opera with occasional fake fighting. I was very surprised with a lot of what AEW did in the beginning. Jericho's natural talent for comedy hooked me immediately. Same with how intense Mox can be when he's unfettered by stupid writing. Mostly I was surprised that everybody looked like they were having fun. It's easier to enjoy when the wrestlers aren't miserable, as it turns out...

6. Is it better or worse than you expected?
I guess I answered this above. Much better!

7. Has AEW changed how you watch/enjoy wrestling?
Whoever said Wednesday is now date night - same. My wife and I get takeout and watch. Even though she's a much bigger fan than I am, she always gets worked by selling. I hear "I think he's really hurt..." almost every week. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Did you see posts about it in here or the TNT ad blitz?

It was a TV ad. I didn't have cable at the time, just happened to be watching TV in a hotel a few days before the first episode.