Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I think it benefitted USPOL a good deal. I don't really post there but I read it sometimes, and did again to see specifically how slowmode affected it. That thread moves very quickly but only because a lot of the posts therein are actually and legitimately contentless, and the timer absolutely helped with that. The other threads don't seem to get enough traffic (even during a big event) to have warranted it.

I think having an automated slowmode where if people are dumping X number of posts into a thread within timeframe Y it triggers slowmode for Z hours would be ideal and not have to be managed individually, but I would understand if that's not on the table for these old forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Slowmode definitely cut down on white noise posting.

Also gives an incentive to post a separate thread on a topic if there's too much meat on the bone for a 10 minute timer.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Gros Tarla posted:

I mean, I assume if that's the end goal, it would probably be easier to just escalate probations/bans to the usual suspects coming on to get their daily sixer harvest.

It would very much not be easier. Whatever you think of “the usual suspects”—and based on how many people ITT are here to talk about how the mods should actually be bringing down the hammer on this group of ne’er-do-wells, it seems clear you all know who you’re talking about even if I don’t—the fact remains that doing something as a mod often prompts a response, whereas you can see that lots of people just chose to post much less with slow mode active.

Making it less fun to post by adding a minor speedbump in the middle of active conversations is a solid way to get people to post less without causing a lot of drama and headaches, so it’s a win-win for the mods. The mod team being more punitive and exiling more posters will cause an exceptional amount of drama and more posts, across more forums, and it still probably won’t get those posters to go away because most of us have terminal online brain and need to post to live.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think it is definitely a good idea, but the timer is too long. As someone that has been on the receiving end of a dogpile, I can say it would cut back on out of control discussions where people are replying to your previous post as you're posting responding to a post and you've got to fend off five people at once, or noise posts where people just emptyquote or post 'lol', but ten minutes is about twice as long as it should be.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Somewhere around 2-5 seems like it would be better to create good conversation rather than stifle it. 10 seems a tad long.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Personally, the only effect of slow mode for me, was hearing it existed and me choosing to go do something else other than hit f5 repeatedly. I agree with the other posters who said ~5 minutes seems a bit more reasonable.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

As a recent arrivee to the Polliwonks thread I found the 10 minute timer marginally interfering and it did cancel a couple of white-noise-adjacent remarks from me. I think that making it 5 minutes would be a good balance if that is achievable; if it had been eight minutes I would have probably never noticed it, given my leisurely posting lifestyle.

As for whether it is good or bad, I guess it depends, but it did seem to reduce the slapfight intensity.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I think it's stupid and pointless. We aren't a global parliament deciding things we're on an internet forum. Just let people post. When a group of posters want to argue about things let them argue in real time. This will just kill debate.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I view D&D as fundamentally broken as mods can't seem to control it for lack of numbers and lack of consistency /enforcement.

A timer control helps that first part.

If you have a meatier discussion take it out of us Pol where frankly more people will read it. There's no good reason everything needs to be in one thread.

As far as slow mode if people noticed less poo poo posting as I did, then it's a massive success. If you want a chat room, post in one.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I think it's good to have a timer, but something like 5 minutes would be better.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Slow mode is good. I think it's made things better.

The only time it stopped me from making a post was to say "Ireland" to answer a question and I got beaten by someone else saying "Ireland".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Jarmak posted:

Slowmode definitely cut down on white noise posting.

Also gives an incentive to post a separate thread on a topic if there's too much meat on the bone for a 10 minute timer.

Yeah I felt safer in being able to contribute to USPol thanks to the slowdown.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Not sure if it mattered in polliwonks but I think slowing down high speed threads is likely more beneficial than not and if it's "stifling debate" then start another thread for that debate so it can have the room, attention, and speed it apparently needs.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

yes, Let us decrease posting to 12 posts per hourincrease posting rations from 6 per hour to 12 per hour.

Wonderous news

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
if 6 posts an hour in one thread on an internet forum is not enough posts then you're probably posting too much, imo

Theres a Discord if you want to exchange short golfclaps immediately

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Neurolimal posted:

if 6 posts an hour in one thread on an internet forum is not enough posts then you're probably posting too much, imo

Theres a Discord if you want to exchange short golfclaps immediately

Its more for continuity. Discussions are strangulated because I literally cant respond for 10 mins. And then he cant respond for 10 mins, etc. so dogpiling is actually exacerbated because each post is worth way more that they were before.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

fool of sound posted:

With that in mind, we would like to know:
---Were you ever personally prevented from posting by slow mode? Did you spend the time writing a longer post, waiting, or just giving up on making the post?
---As a reader, did you feel that the thread quality improved, either because of higher effort posts or at least less white noise?
---And generally, when and where do you think slow mode can be best utilized?

I did not encounter slow mode myself. I don't engage in debate as vigorously as others, at least not enough to trip the timer.

I did not feel that thread quality changed at all. I'm still skimming a lot of posts.

I think slow mode can best be utilized in the most highly trafficked threads, but they need a longer timer. 10 minutes isn't enough, it's gotta be more like 30, maybe more. I feel threads like USPol and the 2020 General go by too fast, even a 10 minute hold isn't enough. If a major event happens, I expect a slow down to reduce the number of posts, but as we saw with RGB's death that was not the case, all the relevant threads were as fast as ever.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Slowmode is cool but punishing contentless posts would be better and more effective in the long run

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I only had my posts limited by slow mode once, but that's probably because I tend to write longer posts and have been posting less frequently lately to begin with; the one time I did have to wait, though, was rather frustrating because I wanted to clarify something after a misunderstanding and had to wait while more posts piled up.

Either way, it's not going to fix things here because it doesn't address the real problems at all.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks to everyone who's provided feedback so far; once the mods have time to read and discuss it a bit, we'll comment more. I'm going to ask if a shorter cooldown is on the table. I've also been told IKs cannot toggle slow mode, only mods.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
It was much, much easier to read the thread this past weekend when there weren’t a million people just constantly white noise doomposting or having the same slapfight over and over again.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I hate it, and I don't even post a lot. One of the best things about message boards is simultaneous reactions of big events, just feels so authentic, for lack of a better term. While USPOL is my main source of news, it's not an actual news outlet. The poo poo-posting gives the content a life and human feel that an RSS feed doesn't have. I might scroll past a couple pages of derails or slap-fights that I don't personally find interesting, but I like the choice of being able to read them or not. Long-term, posting will just become even more homogenous.

And from a business model perspective, shouldn't the goal be to drive up posting/engagement and get people to spend money on the site (ownership issue notwithstanding)? I'm not sure how discouraging posting is good for a message board long term. Less posting leads to less viewing and presumably less ad revenue or product buys. Obviously, content restrictions are necessary, but overall usage restrictions seem counter productive.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Didn't post but did lurk, thought it was a good idea, the idiot white noise posts were cut down but it wasn't like discussion suffered. Probably would result in more effortposts if implemented longterm. It's not like SA is lacking in places to have fun casually shitposting, or even specifically casually shitposting about politics, and I think having a few places where posters are encouraged to be a little more thoughtful is good. I would favor making it permanent (in some threads, leave others "live" for having fun posting as election results come in or whatever).

Agree that the long term solution is just more moderation though.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 22, 2020

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
thank you for reducing the number of posts in uspol

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
It worked resonably well from a mostly lurking point of view. The discussion quality went up and the white noise lovely posting went down.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010
It was a good idea. It should be implemented for USPOL again as soon as possible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Issue: The “time until you can post” listed for Slow Mode is in central time.

Problem: Central time doesn’t exist. No one lives there. It’s a barren wasteland with a hut labeled “something awful llc” because if your hut is in a barren wasteland you have more money for pills.

Solution: Change it to eastern time (preferable) or user’s time zone.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

evilweasel posted:

Problem: Central time doesn’t exist. No one lives there. It’s a barren wasteland with a hut labeled “something awful llc” because if your hut is in a barren wasteland you have more money for pills.

East coast elitism right here folks. Real americans use mountain time or pacific time.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Just use GMT so no one is happy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

evilweasel posted:

Do you have your time zone and proper daylight savings time setting set in your options?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

fool of sound posted:

First, some technical limitations:
---Slow mode is a toggle: threads are either 15 second or 10 minute cooldown, we cannot set custom times.
---While it's not difficult to toggle Slow Mode, it does have to be done manually by a mod or IK. This means that a scheduled daily slow mode for peak times only isn't on the table, we can't set it to turn on when posting exceeds X posts/hour, and toggling it in response to major news blowups isn't necessarily going to be super responsive if mods or IKs aren't around.

Just wanna say that these are issues that can be solved with some fairly simple scripting that wouldn't need to be done by The Admins. Of course, volunteer moderators probably shouldn't be expected to write up Python web scrapers or whatever for free.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The post timer is good in USPOL. One addition I would make is for every Tweet someone puts into the thread without commentary, they personally get one day added on to their timer. Post a tweet, you can't post again for a day. Fourteen contextless tweets in one post? Two weeks for you! And no bullshit "not an empty quote" weaseling.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Slow mode is good and there should be more of it.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I've been thinking about my post from yesterday about tweets. I was being sort of tongue in cheek there but now that I think about it, why is posting tweets without any commentary or context allowed in USPol? Obviously if you are posting a tweet there, you are expecting it to spark some sort of discussion, so why aren't you participating in the discussion? If you're posting it just to provide "news" to people, there is a thread for that, although it has no posts since June 1st, because why would you post a tweet there when you can dump it in USPol?

This relates back to slow mode, because people who just dump tweets every few minutes will need to put more tweets per post now, making it more messy. I'd have ideally posted this in QCS, but that forum is a complete waste.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

beejay posted:

I've been thinking about my post from yesterday about tweets. I was being sort of tongue in cheek there but now that I think about it, why is posting tweets without any commentary or context allowed in USPol? Obviously if you are posting a tweet there, you are expecting it to spark some sort of discussion, so why aren't you participating in the discussion? If you're posting it just to provide "news" to people, there is a thread for that, although it has no posts since June 1st, because why would you post a tweet there when you can dump it in USPol?

This relates back to slow mode, because people who just dump tweets every few minutes will need to put more tweets per post now, making it more messy. I'd have ideally posted this in QCS, but that forum is a complete waste.

This is a fair point. We're planning to do a series of feedback threads on other topics, and I'll make sure to include this.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

beejay posted:

fool of sound posted:

This is a fair point. We're planning to do a series of feedback threads on other topics, and I'll make sure to include this.
It's funny that you bring up QCS as a complete waste, because your solution is literally what the consensus ended up being when we had a thread specifically about tweetposting. In short, your commentary on a tweet should be able to provide enough context for a discussion on its own. This would cut down massively on worthless tweet dumps, reduce the issue of incomprehensible discussions based on deleted tweets, and reduce the risk of duplicate tweets from people who skipped the other three times the tweet was posted, and seems much more in line with what D&D is supposed to be.

QCS has a bad rap, but it has been unusually productive in the last few months. For sure it has come up with a ton of bad ideas, but it has actually started also coming up with good ones. I think it would actually make a lot of sense for the mods to take a look at what has been suggested in QCS and take a bunch of suggestions (and the arguments behind them) from it and present them for discussion in D&D, where they can be fine tuned as appropriate.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

beejay posted:

If you're posting it just to provide "news" to people

This is exactly the purpose of posting a tweet about important breaking news. If its relevant to the topic of the thread, then they are, in and of themselves without any need for more commentary, content. People who post lovely pointless tweets from stupid people can already possibly be probed for that.

If Trump does something really stupid that people need to be aware of and which will spark discussion, then why is simply posting that tweet a bad thing? This seems to be a really silly thing to complain about compared to slap fights and message board grudges being hashed out, its not like we are dealing with a plague of news tweets.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Emptyquoting a tweet isn't much different from emptyquoting a post, and if the tweet links to something substantial you could just link to that instead

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Rigel posted:

This is exactly the purpose of posting a tweet about important breaking news. If its relevant to the topic of the thread, then they are, in and of themselves without any need for more commentary, content. People who post lovely pointless tweets from stupid people can already possibly be probed for that.

If Trump does something really stupid that people need to be aware of and which will spark discussion, then why is simply posting that tweet a bad thing? This seems to be a really silly thing to complain about compared to slap fights and message board grudges being hashed out, its not like we are dealing with a plague of news tweets.

I can find my own news. If someone wants me to read something, they need to tell me why they think it's worthy of being read or talked about. If it's worthy of being read or talked about, why doesn't the person sharing it have anything to say?

That's the only point I'm trying to get across. Since there will be a future feedback thread on tweets specifically we can look forward to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I literally didn't notice Slow Mode at all and didn't know it was even a thing until I saw this thread.