Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If you are a frequent US Politics poster, you probably noticed that the newly implemented Slow Mode option was switched on in a few major threads: USPol, GenElec, Polliwonks, and the SCOTUS thread. While Slow Mode is on, the cooldown between posts increases from something like 15 seconds to 10 minutes. We've now switched it back off for the time being (except in USPol) in order to solicit feedback on it.

First, some technical limitations:
---Slow mode is a toggle: threads are either 15 second or 10 minute cooldown, we cannot set custom times.
---While it's not difficult to toggle Slow Mode, it does have to be done manually by a mod or IK. This means that a scheduled daily slow mode for peak times only isn't on the table, we can't set it to turn on when posting exceeds X posts/hour, and toggling it in response to major news blowups isn't necessarily going to be super responsive if mods or IKs aren't around.

With that in mind, we would like to know:
---Were you ever personally prevented from posting by slow mode? Did you spend the time writing a longer post, waiting, or just giving up on making the post?
---As a reader, did you feel that the thread quality improved, either because of higher effort posts or at least less white noise?
---And generally, when and where do you think slow mode can be best utilized?

Please stay on topic, don't make this into a grudge match. "It's good because [poster/clique I hate] could make fewer posts" is unhelpful and will be punished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks to everyone who's provided feedback so far; once the mods have time to read and discuss it a bit, we'll comment more. I'm going to ask if a shorter cooldown is on the table. I've also been told IKs cannot toggle slow mode, only mods.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

beejay posted:

I've been thinking about my post from yesterday about tweets. I was being sort of tongue in cheek there but now that I think about it, why is posting tweets without any commentary or context allowed in USPol? Obviously if you are posting a tweet there, you are expecting it to spark some sort of discussion, so why aren't you participating in the discussion? If you're posting it just to provide "news" to people, there is a thread for that, although it has no posts since June 1st, because why would you post a tweet there when you can dump it in USPol?

This relates back to slow mode, because people who just dump tweets every few minutes will need to put more tweets per post now, making it more messy. I'd have ideally posted this in QCS, but that forum is a complete waste.

This is a fair point. We're planning to do a series of feedback threads on other topics, and I'll make sure to include this.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

isaboo posted:

Allow editing of posts when slow mode is on.

Wait, you can't edit while slow mode is on?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rigel posted:

you can edit

Ok, cool. I didn't think that could possibly be intentional if it was a thing.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Ok, I've turned off slow mode in USPol for now; I'm going to leave thread open, please post if you notice a major difference in readability or quality.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah it definately needs to go back on. If people want to have serious, extended conversation about a topic I encourage you to spin off a new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I made a covid liveposting thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942754 so hopefully that cuts down on the USPol chatter

Thanks a ton for this.