Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

fool of sound posted:

With that in mind, we would like to know:
---Were you ever personally prevented from posting by slow mode? Did you spend the time writing a longer post, waiting, or just giving up on making the post?

Prevented? Not specifically, not as in "I want to post but cannot because of the timer". I usually write fairly long posts. When I first saw the timer it made me just not want to post again in the thread (the GE thread) at all. I'm certainly not going to wait around to post again, this place is already enough of a mental drain.

fool of sound posted:

---As a reader, did you feel that the thread quality improved, either because of higher effort posts or at least less white noise?

No, I don't actually think post length and quality have anything to do with one another. I think what it encourages is posting something and then leaving the thread, resulting in stilted discussion that is less interesting to read. It also, in my opinion, stymies active discussion in favor of just bloviating to no one in particular.

Personally, my least favorite types of posts to read are one person responding to like 10 different quoted posts from two pages ago. I would much rather those be individual responses since it's easier to track.

fool of sound posted:

---And generally, when and where do you think slow mode can be best utilized?

Megathreads, when mods are overwhelmed, or when some big event occurs that's going to overwhelm them. I think this tool is primarily of benefit to the moderating team, and we shouldn't act like it's going to improve or affect posting quality. The solution is ultimately more moderators and better application of the existing rules, but if rate limiting helps the current mod team keep up, fine. If you have a problem with a specific type or style of posting, try clarifying the rules and ramping punishments. I think we could also cut down on "the entire content of my post is a twitter link that I'm allowing to speak on my behalf" poo poo if we're worried about posting quality.

Generally speaking, when I see a bad post one of my first thoughts isn't "if only this poster had spent more time on this post it would be better". If we want individual posters to be on a timeout, that's what probations are for. I think most of the perceived benefits to posting quality ITT stem from the fact that rule-breaking posters are probed before they can derail the whole thread when they're rate limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU