Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Just got the rail hidden aspect. Dunno if this would change anyone's opinion of it but having the zues special automatically detonates the orbs after they trigger, essentially turning them into massive proximity mines.
I got the tartarus special burst fire and sought out the jolted and multistrike lightning boons and it actually rules hard. I don't usually go for zues boons but his boons really work here.

I agree that the attack feels bad by default, but maybe with +dashes and getting a faster attack animation it could be good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

That's good to know. I've sorta come around on it since there's a faster windup hammer upgrade that I seem to find pretty regularly. That combined with poison stacks & it becomes a very strong weapon.. but without those my run is basically shot lol. I'll try the zeus special next time that sounds fun

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

That's good to know. I've sorta come around on it since there's a faster windup hammer upgrade that I seem to find pretty regularly. That combined with poison stacks & it becomes a very strong weapon.. but without those my run is basically shot lol. I'll try the zeus special next time that sounds fun

I was having a very fun run where I was just dashing and spamming special. I ended up with ares doom attack so that was just a thing I could just spin around and tag everyone when there was an opening.

Hades just absolutely wrecked me though.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Finally got a win after a week of being addicted to this rear end, using the daedalus spear that hits three times on dash strike.

That's not what beat Hades though, for that fight I had the power that regens hp when you're out of defiance and the one that autofills the god gauge, so for the second phase I absolutely lamed it out by just running away in circles until I could turn and hit him with a full power Aphrodite blast.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My win was with the hands I think with a Ruptured rear end multi-DOT build. Escape #84 I believe.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

P-Mack posted:

Finally got a win after a week of being addicted to this rear end, using the daedalus spear that hits three times on dash strike.

That's not what beat Hades though, for that fight I had the power that regens hp when you're out of defiance and the one that autofills the god gauge, so for the second phase I absolutely lamed it out by just running away in circles until I could turn and hit him with a full power Aphrodite blast.

hell yeah dude, grats. prepare to get like three more in a row

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fungah! posted:

hell yeah dude, grats. prepare to get like three more in a row

Lol did it with the spear again and then the gun. Despite getting the no reload and triple bomb hammer powers the gun still felt like rear end the whole run lol

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I really don’t like the gun. Shield and spear are my favorite weapons.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Risk of Rain 2 hits 1.0 for consoles finally

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Been playing around now that I've done all the base weapons. Some of the aspects feel underwhelming but demeter fist is ridiculous.

Got to Hades with Guan Yu spear but couldn't finish him cause I had the triple dash strike that reduces your dash range, which became a Problem on that fight

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

P-Mack posted:

Been playing around now that I've done all the base weapons. Some of the aspects feel underwhelming but demeter fist is ridiculous.

Got to Hades with Guan Yu spear but couldn't finish him cause I had the triple dash strike that reduces your dash range, which became a Problem on that fight

Some of the aspects really need levels to be good and some are great from level 1

Chiron bow (Homing attack) is pretty crap at level 1 but probably the consistently best weapon in the game maxed out

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah I had a deece run with the basic chiron bow cause I got the extra shots hammer power right off the bat, can't imagine having only three shots. Just unlocked Excalibur and that was absolutely insane though

I still don't like the gun but it has some of the best upgrades. Combined rocket launcher and spreadshot ftw

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[non hades] ive been playing caves of qud and it seems fairly epic if you can manage to slowly pick off wildlife critters until you level up enough to actually survive fights. it kind of reminds me of IVAN in some ways.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

[non hades] ive been playing caves of qud and it seems fairly epic if you can manage to slowly pick off wildlife critters until you level up enough to actually survive fights. it kind of reminds me of IVAN in some ways.
Qud should be 100% my thing but I just can't get into it at all for some reason. I saw they're overhauling the UI and stuff so I might check it out again soon.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Qud should be 100% my thing but I just can't get into it at all for some reason. I saw they're overhauling the UI and stuff so I might check it out again soon.

You should toggle overlay UI on. I found out about that and I have no idea why it's not default. The inventory management is still rear end but it makes the options menu and chargen about a billion times better

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

moonlighter any good? it's on pretty deep sale on the eshop and it looks interestng

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not particularly, but if you're bored I bet you could get $8 worth of enjoyment out of it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

American McGay posted:

Not particularly, but if you're bored I bet you could get $8 worth of enjoyment out of it.

eh, if it's whatever i'll just get something else instead. ty

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

moonlighter any good? it's on pretty deep sale on the eshop and it looks interestng

It's awful lol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Fungah! posted:

the first chapter is kinda neat but then you realize every single chapter is exactly the same, it's depressing.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tried caves of qud. theres definitely a lot of good poo poo there and i'm interested to see where it goes but god drat is it buggy. the UI fuckin blows too, i know they're going for a nethack style interface but it's so bad. maybe if it ever gets finished the game'll be fun, but now i'm just annoyed for falling for the early access indie treasure siren

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cleared with every aspect and beat EM Hades, not sure if there's anything left to do here except clearing heat 20

The zeus/artemis lightning rod duo power sounded lame in the description but it turned out it has full screen range and activates constantly, twas litty

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

P-Mack posted:

Cleared with every aspect and beat EM Hades, not sure if there's anything left to do here except clearing heat 20

The zeus/artemis lightning rod duo power sounded lame in the description but it turned out it has full screen range and activates constantly, twas litty

theres a special reward for clearing on heat 32 and there's always the epilogue...

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The heat system & having tons of stuff to spend your resources on is really loving smart for keeping the hooks in me postgame. I've slowed down a bit but I'm still playing a few times a week

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fungah! posted:

tried caves of qud. theres definitely a lot of good poo poo there and i'm interested to see where it goes but god drat is it buggy. the UI fuckin blows too, i know they're going for a nethack style interface but it's so bad. maybe if it ever gets finished the game'll be fun, but now i'm just annoyed for falling for the early access indie treasure siren

It's a small thing that's specific to my tastes but it annoys me that you can't keep playing in the same world. I remember one time I made a digging guy and I just dug tunnels everywhere and it would have been cool if I could have a new character use them. Obviously it's in develpment but it bugged me that all the procedural villages just wanted to kill me, I found a village of bats and it would have been cool to talk to them or something.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

It's a small thing that's specific to my tastes but it annoys me that you can't keep playing in the same world. I remember one time I made a digging guy and I just dug tunnels everywhere and it would have been cool if I could have a new character use them. Obviously it's in develpment but it bugged me that all the procedural villages just wanted to kill me, I found a village of bats and it would have been cool to talk to them or something.

i think you can try to crank your rep with nonhuman factions to make them nonhostile or at least some mutations make me think that. a persistent would be cool though although i guess that would make the main quest tricky to run. that would be a cool concept for a roguelike though

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's how cataclysm works, you tend to spawn in the same general region. if you're quick you can find your last characters body and it wont have rotted yet, lol.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I enjoyed dwarf fortress adventure mode like 10 years ago mostly for that reason. Just kept creating dwarfs named Grabcrotch [noun][verber] (e.g. Grabcrotch Shinkicker) at the same place and sending them to kill a nearby giant or something, which kept getting increasingly strong and killing me with my character's uncle's shoes while roaring an increasingly absurdly long list of all the Grabcrotches he'd murdered over the years

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fungah! posted:

i think you can try to crank your rep with nonhuman factions to make them nonhostile or at least some mutations make me think that. a persistent would be cool though although i guess that would make the main quest tricky to run. that would be a cool concept for a roguelike though

Yeah you can be friendly with anyone. You should be able to check any faction's relationship with any other's; killing champion characters from factions they hate is the simplest way to raise their opinion of you out of kill-on-sight territory, although like you said, certain mutations give big bonuses too.

edit: Also it's kind of crazy it isn't on by default but if the UI is driving you crazy make sure to go into options and check "Enable modern UI elements" and "Enable additional overlay user interface elements" -- it literally feels like a completely different game. Seriously lol give it another shot with that on if you haven't

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 8, 2020

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sick gun run with ricochet+chain lightning+support fire so whenever I pulled the trigger I'd get a swarm of 80 projectiles bouncing around, game is still fun long after clearing all the story 'tent

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fungah! posted:

theres a special reward for clearing on heat 32 and there's always the epilogue...

Cleared 32 in one go with fists, I left EM Hades off and didn't give up any mirror of night powers. Out of all the conditions the one that came closest to hurting me was extra trap damage lol since the poison in Styx and the green jars Hades sets up count as traps

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

P-Mack posted:

Cleared 32 in one go with fists, I left EM Hades off and didn't give up any mirror of night powers. Out of all the conditions the one that came closest to hurting me was extra trap damage lol since the poison in Styx and the green jars Hades sets up count as traps

gently caress yeah. trap damage always fucks me up in asphodel too, i get sloppy around the lava and it counts as a trap too, kills you dead real fast

here comes cask
Jul 7, 2003
I just started playing Hades yesterday. Is there a weapon that's more beginner friendly? Anything I should be concentrating on unlocking as quickly as possible?
This game whips rear end.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i had the easiest time with the bow at first, but it depends on your playstyle. i always just picked the weapon with the darkness bonus anyway.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Had my best runs with spear but they’re all good

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Gun kinda sucks rear end in its base form but gets good alternates and has insane hammer upgrades so don't get turned off if you unlock it and have a bad initial run.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
imo just keep playing

the game is good enough that you'll have fun and keep getting better pretty much no matter what you do

you unlock more stuff, your character gets stronger, you as a player get better, and you start stumbling on amazing combos and realizing boons that you thought were lame actually kick tremendous amounts of rear end

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think I had my first win with the bow

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The gun is amazing with poison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
my first was with the sword, surprisingly

really early on I got the boon where you lose a bunch of your max health but every hit heals you
built the rest of my run around it, by the end nobody could hurt me faster than I could heal just standing there slapping them to death