Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

Chewbecca posted:

The first ten people to post itt will be sent a lil package, all the way from Australia, from your posting pal Chewbecca!

The rules:
BYOB SASS Rules Apply e.g. You must have made at least ten posts in BYOB in the last year to qualify
You must live in North America (usa or canada)
You must be willing to send your mailing address to my good friend Vanisher, who is shipping the packages on my behalf
You must have never eaten the Australian delicacy Vegemite!
You must be willing to post a Vegemite trip report itt once your package is received!

this is v exciting

is it a wallaby, do I need to buy a terrarium for it

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

lmao

that was exactly what I was hoping it would be

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

the package was prominently marked "SWAGMAN: JUMBUCK IN TUCKER BAG!!" and U.S. customs thought this was a secret ISIS code

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

I have the package!!

:stare:

Manifisto

Chewbecca posted:

More than that you'd want to tone the flavour down with maybe a fried egg, or sliced avocado!

is a vegemite toad in the hole called a "platypus in the hole" or what?

Manifisto

rear end-penny posted:

a playback error occurred and I can't see the vegemite. :(

same, friend, same

Manifisto

well the vid plays on my phone, just not my laptop! nice, very nice, looking forward to trying mine. trip report on that soda pls!

Manifisto

Prof. Crocodile posted:

thank you for doing this chewbecca!

this was thoughtful and generous, and helped broaden our horizons in a fun way. i think i can speak for all the yobbers itt when i say that we appreciate your sharing the salty sticky stuff with us.

i wish i could reciprocate by doing something fun for our eastern hemisphere goons, but the only distinctly american things i can think of are guns and eagles, and people get all bent out of shape if you try to post those. :sigh:

it's hard to think of distinctly american but regionally nonspecific stuff

hershey bars maybe, but a lot of people really dislike it for understandable reasons (it's made for american palates and has chemicals that people with other palates dislike)

regionally though . . .

like what about a can of moxie soda for example

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

Friends- it comes after many months of procrastination, but I have mailed the remaining three letters.

Manifisto, yours has been fortified with cardboard to hopefully secure the mite such that it does not get smushed.

Bog Pixie, a thousand apologies- after I received the returned mail the vegemite sample had become compromised. I did however recover some of the trinkets and those have been mailed.

Nut- I had to use a top of the line padded envelope and yours should be arriving in the best condition.

thank you vanisher, you're the best! you too chewbs!

Manifisto

:frogsiren: a certain package containing vegemite, a postcard, and a fun activity book has made it all the way from australia to my home! :woop: thank you chewbs and vanisher too.

I need supplies for my planned method of review/consumption and I will post it soon!

Manifisto

so, today was the day of the great vegemite adventure! my delivery method of choice: a "toad in the hole," i.e., slices of toast with butter, cheddar, vegemite (of course), and an egg nestled into a hole in the middle of the toasts. somewhat auspiciously, my local supermarket was having a sale on new zealand cheddar, so while the cheese is not proper australian tasty cheese (as the recipe called for) it is at least antipodal. (fun fact: "tasty" is a style of cheese, meaning a somewhat matured and moderately sharp cheddar.)

bottom layer of the unbaked TitH, showing vegemite coverage. I also decided to do an initial, more "pure" vegemite taste test with the hole I cut out of the bread (untoasted/unbaked). it's really good, no joke. a meaty, salty umami bomb, with a bit of zip.

the assembled TitH, ready for the oven.

. . . and, around 18 minutes later, she's out!

plated up, alongside more aussie gifts from chewbecca:

trip report: the vegemite was definitely not too assertive here, I think because of the double layer of toast. I followed the recipe's instructions to take it out when the cheese was "golden," but I think honestly I should have taken it out sooner. the toast was kinda dry, and since the egg was not at all runny there wasn't any nice liquid yolk to moisten it up. if I were to do it again I might consider doing it by pan frying instead of in the oven, and/or using only a single slice of bread or maybe just cutting the crusts off. the flavors were nice though, a bit more cheese might have been a good idea. the vegemite was very good, the recipe itself was a bit of a letdown.

so anyway there you have it, I've been officially toed in the hole, courtesy of australia. thank you very much chewbs! I regret that it has taken so long to bring this to closure, but better late than never, as they say. also thanks, again, to vanisher for acting as intermediary.

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

more falafel please posted:

it does look like a lot of vegemite but I bet the cheese and egg help balance it a bit

yeah, but also I think the vegemite not being on the surface means your tongue doesn't get to meet it directly, so it's more muted.