Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

acksplode posted:

PS4 Pro rarely hits a native 4K, it's usually upscaling from 1440p with AAA games

It depends on the game. Native 4k was pretty rare on the PS4 Pro. Dynamic res, checkerboarding, and upscaling were all more common, particularly with AAA games. 4K60 is reasonable to shoot for on some games with the PS5, but the PS5's GPU is about as powerful as an RTX 2080. The 2080 is a great card, but it can't run everything at a native 4K at 60FPS. With ray tracing enabled, you can forget about it without reconstruction techniques like DLSS (which the PS5 can't do, though it can checkerboard and upscale).

Demon's Souls is very dense visually, and it also uses some form of ray-tracing according to press releases. A locked 4K60 just isn't going to happen with its level of power. Going with a dynamic res makes a lot of sense. 4K is nice, but it's incredibly expensive from a performance standpoint, and using that power on other features is going to make more sense a lot of the time. 1440p and 1800p both look very sharp on 4K screens, and dips below 4K with a dynamic resolution are oftentimes not even perceptible while you're playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

1 billion dollars just for anime?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

BigHandsVince posted:

Do the PS5 controllers support wireless charging?

No, doesn't seem like it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

This is 100% somehow going to be the case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHhMl1kCeAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMHTuQYrjTM

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Bloodborne load times going to be twice as long on ps5

feature not a bug

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

il serpente cosmico posted:

I would really like 60fps Bloodborne. I just don't think it's ever going to happen :(

Careful now, don't work yourself into a frenzy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had missed that a couple days ago, the Japan PS5 launch trailer has Gran Turismo 7 in the footage. I know GT7 doesn't have a release date yet, but I hope the fact that it keeps getting shown off in PS5 marketing material, means its not that far away. I had been assuming it was still anywhere from 1 to 3 years away. The game was announced in June, so maybe we'll get it in the next 6 - 9 months.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fedule posted:

I cannot believe FFVII-R hit v1.0.0 as stable as it was, with only a handful of texture errors, one semi-rare softlock and apparently some unintended speedrun tricks, and went so long without a patch, which was just for PS5 compatibility.

Same. It's astounding.

Of all games. Of all years.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hobo Clown posted:

My Amazon order just says "Not yet shipped. We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date."

Is that normal for Amazon or did I miss out on the first wave? I pre-ordered it on September 16th.

Mine just says "order recieved" with no details so you're ahead of me i guess

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Beginning to think the ps5 is going to be pretty cool.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
It better be with that gigantic heatsink

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I had missed that a couple days ago, the Japan PS5 launch trailer has Gran Turismo 7 in the footage. I know GT7 doesn't have a release date yet, but I hope the fact that it keeps getting shown off in PS5 marketing material, means its not that far away. I had been assuming it was still anywhere from 1 to 3 years away. The game was announced in June, so maybe we'll get it in the next 6 - 9 months.

I dunno - the Gran Turismo games have historically had long, arduous development cycles with lots of feature creep and delays. I wouldn't bet that we'll see it for at least a couple years.

I would love to be wrong, but I would think that if they were reasonably sure of a release date, we'd know it by now. GoW:R and Horizon 2 were both given 2021 dates, and we have nothing for Gran Turismo.

It's been 7 years since the last numbered GT entry, which is kind of a bummer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Get in the loving streaming service Shinji

Shammypants posted:

The only nonobvious thing Sony has done is to buy a small studio from a larger parent studio. That should come in the next few months.

FROM? :thunk:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

343i

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

989 studios

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

il serpente cosmico posted:

I dunno - the Gran Turismo games have historically had long, arduous development cycles with lots of feature creep and delays. I wouldn't bet that we'll see it for at least a couple years.

I would love to be wrong, but I would think that if they were reasonably sure of a release date, we'd know it by now. GoW:R and Horizon 2 were both given 2021 dates, and we have nothing for Gran Turismo.

It's been 7 years since the last numbered GT entry, which is kind of a bummer.

It was 3 years between Gran Turismo 5 and 6, and 4 years for Sport. I really think it was only GT5 that had a disaster of a development time at 6 years from when GT4 released, and lots of delays. GT6 though released the same year it was announced. I think Sport did the same.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I loving wish, but they closed in 2005.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So if a certain someone was going to upgrade their 720p plasma TV for the PS5, would this be a good idea? https://www.costco.com/lg-55%22-class---cx-series---4k-uhd-oled-tv---%24100-allstate-protection-plan-bundle-included.product.100657327.html It is the #1 rated gaming TV on rtings, so I imagine it is?

Has anyone had issues with burn-in on their OLED?

Also, I am very excited for the playstation 5.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lumpy posted:

So if a certain someone was going to upgrade their 720p plasma TV for the PS5, would this be a good idea? https://www.costco.com/lg-55%22-class---cx-series---4k-uhd-oled-tv---%24100-allstate-protection-plan-bundle-included.product.100657327.html It is the #1 rated gaming TV on rtings, so I imagine it is?

I like that it is 120hz, and has 4 HDMI ports. However, ooof at that price($1,349.99). That seems very overpriced for a 55" TV. Someone posted about getting the LG 65" nanocell 90, it has all of the same features, but is half the price (although I think they got it on sale for a really good deal, its normal price appears to be about $1000).

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Lumpy posted:

CX rules. Keep in mind that they do massive sales on their TVs around Black Friday if you can hold off that long. I assume they do it in the US the same way they do in Europe.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I said come in! posted:

I like that it is 120hz, and has 4 HDMI ports. However, ooof at that price($1,349.99). That seems very overpriced for a 55" TV. Someone posted about getting the LG 65" nanocell 90, it has all of the same features, but is half the price (although I think they got it on sale for a really good deal, its normal price appears to be about $1000).

That was me, yeah, I think I lucked out on a price mistake, because they changed the price to $999 later in the day after I ordered.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I said come in! posted:

It’s an OLED, and that’s a pretty good price for one.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Lumpy posted:

That's the TV to buy for sure. You will be fine on burn in, I wouldn't worry about it that much. There are some things that are worse than others, but unless you have the same static content on all the time, you shouldn't have to worry. That's also the lowest price I have seen so you're good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s an OLED, and that’s a pretty good price for one.

That's fair! OLED is suppose to be pretty amazing for picture quality.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Lumpy posted:

I've got the 77 inch version, it's an awesome TV for everything from TV shows to movies to games.

I had an older version for almost 5 years and never had any issues with burn in, and that was with having my PC hooked up to it, using it as a monitor. As long as you don't have a new channel ticker running 12 hours a day you shouldn't need to worry about burn in

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lumpy posted:

I've had the predecessor model (C9) for almost a year and I'm happy with it. It's my primary display for all gaming, TV, movies, youtube, etc. and I haven't noticed any burn in at all.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
LG's OLEDs are pretty much the best TVs you can buy. I have the C9 too.

Edit: The nanocells are mid level LCDs at best you can generally do better for the price with those.

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 31, 2020

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Lumpy posted:

I bought this exact TV a couple of weeks ago to get ready for PS5 and I love it. It looks great with my non-pro PS4, and I can't wait to see how the PS5 looks on it. The TV has built in features to prevent burn-in such as locally dimming the areas where it detects logos or (in the case of games) HUD elements, and it can refresh pixels while the TV is off. From what I've read you only really have to worry about it if you use it as a PC monitor or literally show a static image to test burn-in like rtings does.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I have an LG OLED from four years ago or so that’s been used for movies and gaming and I’ve never had any issues with long term image retention. Occasionally you’ll get ghosting of certain elements immediately after switching to a grey/white background, but displaying a flat light colored background isn’t a real common occurrence. Newer models have gotten even better at dealing with it.

OLEDs are not without their trade offs (cost, maximum brightness, short term IR), but if it’s within your budget then they’re almost always going to be the best option. Effectively infinite contrast does so much for picture quality.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I was thinking DICE or something equivalent to that.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Thank you all for the feedback! This PS5 is getting expensive... now off to pre-order Demon's Souls

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1322327097357045760?s=20

Wait and see what happens.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Lumpy posted:

If you never had burn-in issues with your plasma, I don't think you'll have any with an OLED.

You'll probably have worse motion resolution but that's always been the case with flat-panel tech, 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Lumpy posted:

I have that same TV - I paid $1800 for it back in June. It's really great, and that's a great price.

I said come in! posted:

It was 3 years between Gran Turismo 5 and 6, and 4 years for Sport. I really think it was only GT5 that had a disaster of a development time at 6 years from when GT4 released, and lots of delays. GT6 though released the same year it was announced. I think Sport did the same.

I hope it comes out soon! It has only been 3 years since Sport, and they've released a lot of additional content for Sport in that timeframe, if I'm not mistaken. It still feels like GT7 won't be out until at least 2022 to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kind of on Sony for not being forthcoming about this stuff earlier, though. Afaik, they've never mentioned the compatible, bootable, etc distinctions before.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ubisoft just got a angry call from whoever Sony's Reggie Fils-Aime is

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
OLED burn-in is, to all practical intents and purposes, a non-issue.

The issue has been under very empirical long term investigation by blessed website RTings. Their findings suggest that you might start seeing it after 3000 total hours, if;
  • you check using a fully red test image
  • having displayed static, bright red (like, #FF0000) images like the CNN logo the entire time
  • on maximum backlight brightness
  • on a 4 year old model
  • without using any of the mitigation features offered

Under more real-world conditions, you'll see 5000 hours usage, but again, that's all using worst-case content without any mitigation features (which are things like, the screen can detect and dim (at the pixel level) static images when they're detected, like some video game HUDs, or, the screen can gradually shift the picture around a little inside the frame when it's on for extended periods (this is tricky to notice but you can see it, it makes your set look like the bezels are different sizes), and also the screen can monitor long-term the state of each pixel over very long periods and gradually adjust how it displays colours, compensating for burn-in). On top of that, the panels in the latest models are all iterative improvements, although we don't have four years of longitudinal testing data on stuff that came out just this year. Between these panel improvements, the array of mitigation features offered, turning the backlight down to 80% for SDR (HDR and Dolby Vision are better at not actually going full pelt brightness on stuff that's not a light source), and actually varying what content you display over 5000+ hours of cumulative usage, you will probably not actually see burn-in on your set before you replace it. Look at the RTings test pictures; at the last available data point, 102 weeks (14280 hours), the effects are still extremely mild on everything other than the TVs showing CNN, and barely visible at all on the TV showing Call of Duty.

All of which to say, the CX is by far and away the best TV you can buy, if you have the budget for it. The C9 models are about as good, and cheaper, if you can find them, but they're out of manufacture now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah this feels like someone saw those specific games had distinct compatibility warning flags and misinterpreted that as "it no work".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I found my old psn account and picked up MGSV Definitive so I will be ready to download that later, but I was trying for the life of me to figure out how I can search for friends on social media, and it didn't seem to be an option?

Even Nintendo lets you add friends through Facebook and Twitter and I'm not sure their headquarters even has an internet connection

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Lumpy posted:

I just got myself an LG CX and it blows me away. Probably the best set you can get for that price. Burn in shouldn’t be an issue unless you leave a static screen sitting on it for a while. From what I understand it has plenty of features to mitigate burn in and you’d pretty much have to try to achieve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Just want to say that this post made me sad.