Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You have to go get like 10-15 flowers before Mort calls you and tells you to make her breathe fire. It’s incredibly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or just take literally less than 5 minutes and do a loop of the entire level, it’s really very small when you can just fly, it’s not that big a deal.

Edit: Post is not edit!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jabro posted:

People who post about how much they don’t care about something care the most.

poo poo my petard it's hoisted me

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Casnorf posted:

I'm not defending it as a good or well-executed scene; more just pointing out how hard it is to visually communicate a completely invisible process that has a lot going on.

Gort posted:

The normal way for a character in a show to communicate what they're thinking is to have them talk to someone.

Riddler used a wax-based solvent to dissolve a hole through the wall of a vault, and on doing a forensic investigation of the crime scene, Batman's chemical analysis revealed it to contain Nitrogen, Uranium, and Sodium:

Robin: If you take the first three letters of those elements, it spells N-U-S...but that doesn't mean anything.
Batman: Reverse the order, and what do you have?
Robin: S-U-N.
Batman: Of course, that's got to be it!
Robin: But what's it supposed to mean?
Batman: Robin, I'm surprised at you. You're supposed to be studying French in school. What's the French word for sun?
Robin: Soleil!
Batman: Correct. The Riddler has left us a clear indication of where he intends to strike next. Back at Madame Soleil's wax museum!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
visually communicate talking

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

words on the screen

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

ding!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Fedule posted:

The game doesn't tell you this but you'll gain the ability to pick those up after getting I think all 45 of the ground-level ones.

The game also doesn't bother to label on the map which are the 45 are ground level, so you'll have to just try and guess which they are. You can make estimations, one at a time, by using the map to highlight one and see if it's high-up-ish.

Oh my god flying that dang thing was the most awkard thing I've done in a long time. I'm used to the right stick being for camera panning and the left for movement, but when you're flying the right stick doesn't do anything at all. So I was just constantly dipping down to try and scope out the ground, and then trying to fly back up before I ran into a wall or something. Add to that the fact that the little landing pads don't show up on the map and they're so hard to see from the air (and you have to be at just the right distance and angle to actually land) and that whole thing was a nightmare for me.

Once I got the fire breathing it was a lot better because I didn't have to land and the fireballs had auto aim. But before that it was just a mess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Soysaucebeast posted:

the little landing pads don't show up on the map

They do show up on the map, it's just hard to tell what that icon represents. Also they glow blue when they get close and the onscreen press O prompt seems to have much stricter requirements than the button press itself (at least once I hit O and the dragon descended and landed on a pad I wasn't even aware I was over)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gort posted:

The normal way for a character in a show to communicate what they're thinking is to have them talk to someone.

That is literally Watson’s purpose in the narrative half the time too. It just doesn’t let Benedict Cumberbatch vogue and look confused and thinky on screen.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The reason Elementary is cool and Sherlock sucks (well, a reason, anyway) is that Watson actually gets things to do and contribute in the former show.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

From some stories collected in tomes
Through the years, plot chromosomes
With a nod and a wink
Detective's distinct
In the public domain, Sherlock Holmes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MZ posted:

Did they patch The Last Guardian digital version to run at 60fps or do you still need a disc version?

I'd like to play the game but don't want to buy a disc since I have it in the PS Plus collection....

30 or 60 the game is brilliant, you should play it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You should absolutely play it for free and enjoy the consistent, stable framerate which no matter what it is is an improvement over the PS4 presentation

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fish limerick spam
post number go up, fish still
nibble beanpole feet

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I'll allow it since beanpole can be a nature reference.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Anyone trying to get a PS5 with that special invite from Sony right now? I'm having some issues with the store page. I went through the queue but the store itself is being a turd.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

haveblue posted:

You should absolutely play it for free and enjoy the consistent, stable framerate which no matter what it is is an improvement over the PS4 presentation

I've never had a game turn my opinion around on it as much as TLG. That final hour completely destroyed me emotionally and made it such an amazing experience overall. The rest of the game was just me yelling at the screen going "No! Don't go that way!".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
by the last quarter of TLG trico was doing more work to solve puzzles than i was

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

Anyone trying to get a PS5 with that special invite from Sony right now? I'm having some issues with the store page. I went through the queue but the store itself is being a turd.

Store ran out of digitals while I was filling out an address. Haha, go figure.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

I've never had a game turn my opinion around on it as much as TLG. That final hour completely destroyed me emotionally and made it such an amazing experience overall. The rest of the game was just me yelling at the screen going "No! Don't go that way!".

and yet that whole rest of the game needs to be there to set the emotional precedent for the final hours to even matter

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

and yet that whole rest of the game needs to be there to set the emotional precedent for the final hours to even matter

Very true. I'd have a much different opinion if I only played half of the game.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I scored one for my buddy. Kind of surprised, I got mine through Sony at launch and didn’t think they’d let me buy another one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Getting Spider-man remastered and I never played the DLCs. Once you start them they add a bunch of poo poo to the map right? If I'm going for the platinum should I do all the base game stuff first?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RatHat posted:

Getting Spider-man remastered and I never played the DLCs. Once you start them they add a bunch of poo poo to the map right? If I'm going for the platinum should I do all the base game stuff first?

Base game first, then DLC, because they can be kind of rough without upgrades.

The DLCs do add more poo poo to the map, but it's treated as totally separate from the main game, you swap between all three through the menu.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The plat for the base game does not require anything from the DLC but you can use Tokens you earn from the DLC to help buy things that go towards the base game plat. It's a common thing for players to struggle to earn enough Tokens for all the suits and gadget upgrades they want but it's a lot easier with the extra Tokens from the DLC (or New Game Plus).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was actually thinking about TLG yesterday. I was reminded of it due to my feelings when reading some people's negative posts about Metro Exodus since the PS5 version was released.

In both cases they are these games I just absolutely love. They both have some things that might put some people off and even have some outright flaws. But they are both brilliant imo and I when I read posts nit picking stuff about them I just feel like "you are missing the forest for the trees". Like, it doesn't matter if someone doesn't like a game I like, but when I hear people going off on little janky or clumsy bits and seemingly not noticing all of the great stuff it's sort of frustrating lol. The same thing happened a lot with TLG.

That said, I have begrudgingly accepted that Exodus is not for everyone. It's basically my dream game and I am not alone in that regard, but some people are never going to get over it not being a AAA game, which kind of does it's own thing and yes, can feel a bit unpolished at times. But it all just totally works for me. I feel like it has more personality than most games out there.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 23, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think TLG is perfectly fine but I really wasn’t blown away by it and since I’ve watched more than a handful of Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli I didn’t find the story to be particularly interesting nor did I find the ending to be particularly impactful. It’s a beautiful and sweet fable, I’m glad I played through it, but I honestly do not understand the endless cavalcade of accolades goons rain down on this game. Maybe it hits harder if you don’t have any exposure to Eastern myths or something?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
There once was a fish named 'Norf
With the social awareness of Worf
Refuses to dally
In the uncanny valley
Instead sends his posts from the gorse

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I think TLG is perfectly fine but I really wasn’t blown away by it and since I’ve watched more than a handful of Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli I didn’t find the story to be particularly interesting nor did I find the ending to be particularly impactful. It’s a beautiful and sweet fable, I’m glad I played through it, but I honestly do not understand the endless cavalcade of accolades goons rain down on this game. Maybe it hits harder if you don’t have any exposure to Eastern myths or something?

Get this: TLOU2 sucks

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm not sure what it has to do with Ghibli stuff, the reason I found the story so impactful was that Trico is an utterly singular creation in games. And its something that's only really possible in a game, that slow build of companionship, with the highs and lows that entails. I dont think any game has given the player a relationship to a character like it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

Get this: TLOU2 sucks

If it actually sucked you’d have played it by now

HampHamp posted:

I'm not sure what it has to do with Ghibli stuff

This just feels like it hits a lot of the same emotional frequencies that those films do with a very similar style. They are mystical and ethereal and mysterious but with a youthful energy that carries the entire thing like the wind carrying a kite, it’s playful but also a little wild and spooky.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 23, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

If it actually sucked you’d have played it by now

Hmm you might be on to something here :thunk:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TLOU2, which doesn't even have multiplayer, is an adequate game to play twice for the Plat then never again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I was actually thinking about TLG yesterday. I was reminded of it due to my feelings when reading some people's negative posts about Metro Exodus since the PS5 version was released.

In both cases they are these games I just absolutely love. They both have some things that might put some people off and even have some outright flaws. But they are both brilliant imo and I when I read posts nit picking stuff about them I just feel like "you are missing the forest for the trees". Like, it doesn't matter if someone doesn't like a game I like, but when I hear people going off on little janky or clumsy bits and seemingly not noticing all of the great stuff it's sort of frustrating lol. The same thing happened a lot with TLG.

That said, I have begrudgingly accepted that Exodus is not for everyone. It's basically my dream game and I am not alone in that regard, but some people are never going to get over it not being a AAA game, which kind of does it's own thing and yes, can feel a bit unpolished at times. But it all just totally works for me. I feel like it has more personality than most games out there.

Same, but Mirror's Edge: Catalyst and Alien: Isolation

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mirror's Edge was too good for this world.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Hmm you might be on to something here :thunk:

When you concede points to the Bust
No matter how reasoned or sussed
Like Ferrari aflame
You'll tarnish your name
And you must regain the thread's trust

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I own Mirrors edge catalyst. Maybe that could be in my list. Same with alien isolation.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

VideoGames posted:

I own Mirrors edge catalyst. Maybe that could be in my list. Same with alien isolation.

I've wanted to play/be a part of an Alien Isolation first time. For some reason whenever I'm between games I just kind of forget that it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

a bustpost coin flip
god tier five gold legend or
diarrhea dump