Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
there is a definite commonality between eternal and deathloop with developers wanting to refine a gameplay loop and make it mandatory rather than only if you're playing the 'right way'.

eternal did it on the micro level but kind of neutered the macro experience, deathloop did it on the macro level of progression but kind of neutered the micro experience.

i prefer both games' predecessors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I’ll be happy if they just put Um Jammer Lammy on the ps5.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Every single piece of PS3 software now boots and almost two thirds of all PS3 games can be played to completion in RPCS3
There's that asterisk, thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

acksplode posted:

huh you don’t wanna run them at 14FPS with missing shaders?!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sony is going to expand PlayStation Plus/Now to become more competitive with GamePass

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1466820186011541504?s=21

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nothing can compete with GamePass. Wrap it up

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Except when Sony release their good games next year

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

acksplode posted:

Ok, and you also believe that a team of professional developers with access to literally every single scrap of information about the PS3 that anyone could possibly want couldn’t make something better than a group of hobbyists working in their spare time, blind/reliant on digging up their own information and from scratch did?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I bought some codes on amazon for ps plus, and am trying to activate them on my playstation account page on my browser. I tried on my pc the day I bought them, about a week ago, and the 'enter codes' page was giving me a loading spinner then an error. Tried on a different computer today, same deal. I could do it on my ps4 itself but I'm lazy. Is the playstation site's page known to be complete poo poo for this? To be clear, the page is 'https://id.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/id/management/' and 'redeem codes' if that's not the full url.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nothing can compete with GamePass. Wrap it up

There's no chance PS++ is gonna get launch-day exclusives like Game Pass so yeah. But this seems more like a CYA move to prevent playstation havers from getting a wandering eye, and I think it'll probably serve that purpose just fine. A flat sub for third-party AAA and indies and older exclusives wouldn't be bad at all.

Ok, and you also believe that a team of professional developers with access to literally every single scrap of information about the PS3 that anyone could possibly want couldn’t make something better than a group of hobbyists working in their spare time, blind/reliant on digging up their own information and from scratch did?

No I don't believe that. Thanks for asking! Please let me know if you have more questions for me.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
oh man, playstation gamepass would own, especially if it includes PS1-2 games.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Microsoft NEEDS Game Pass to be insane because otherwise the platform would be a ghost town besides military shooters and their 20 year entrenched fan bases. SONY hasn’t needed Game Pass because SONY has The Last of Us and God of War, big marquis AAA titles that drive sales and move consoles on their own.

If Starfield and Fallout 5 and Elder Scrolls 6 are the most mind blowing, genre defining RPGs of the next decade, then SONY might break a sweat, but as long as they’re the only ones delivering the polished cinematic single player experiences they are rock solidly in first place.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

acksplode posted:

But this seems more like a CYA move to prevent playstation havers from getting a wandering eye, and I think it'll probably serve that purpose just fine.

Yeah, this is Sony thanking Microsoft for doing market research on behalf of the game industry

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

yeaaaaah lets go! let me put my ps1-3 discs in that big bad tall boy

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol. No way in hell will that ever happen. Can the ps5 even read cds?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mine sure can’t lol

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeaaaaah lets go! let me put my ps1-3 discs in that big bad tall boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-PIPiweFj4&t=77s

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

veni veni veni posted:

The thing about 2016 that I like is it's simplicity. It's not a perfect game even if some people talk about it like it is. It's honestly pretty repetitive. The selection of environments and enemies and new gameplay mechanics is on the low end. But it does set the perfect tone for a doom reboot and I think the flow of the gameplay is great. The first time I played it, my was impression was "eh, hey that was pretty drat decent!" But I went back and played it on Nightmare shortly before eternal came out and really found myself appreciating how good the flow is when you get into it. it's just this state of constant movement and wrecking enemies where you die if you stop to think for one second and the result is weirdly zen. Eternal on the other hand is a game about road blocks. The games main goal is to introduce new obstacles from me getting into the mind state that made the first one fun. It's full of stuff to make you slow down, or run out of ammo on your favorite gun, or shoot an enemy with a specific weapon, or fight enemies a certain way and its entirely counter to what I enjoyed about 2016. It's like the game is constantly throwing a wrench in my gears and the experience is like nails on a chalk board. And that's kind of why it annoys me so much.

"flow" is the right word I think. 2016 wasn't nearly as challenging as like, high level Doom 2 (custom maps, I mean) but it had that same feeling of getting locked in and executing. Eternal borderline felt like a micromanagement game. I wonder if the people who like it are also big fans of RTSs, because that's another genre that some people can get locked into and instinctively micromanage in a way that I am unable to.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

dog nougat posted:

its call firmware updates pal :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

dog nougat posted:

The ps4 couldn't even do that lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

lol @ the cynics. learn to dream a little bigger darlings.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
broke: wrong ram
woke: wrong laser

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
more night in the woods time with veeg!!!!! https://www.twitch.tv/videogamessa

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I was actually really annoyed when I found out it couldn't play CDs because dedicated CD players are seemingly now in the same state as MP3 players where most of them are either trash, or way too expensive audio nerd grade stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"flow" is the right word I think. 2016 wasn't nearly as challenging as like, high level Doom 2 (custom maps, I mean) but it had that same feeling of getting locked in and executing. Eternal borderline felt like a micromanagement game. I wonder if the people who like it are also big fans of RTSs, because that's another genre that some people can get locked into and instinctively micromanage in a way that I am unable to.

Yeah it's the micro management really. It's not just that I don't like it, I can't keep up with it. And really you have to use all of it constantly in eternal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That was my reaction too, I don't have a problem with the core concept of choosing an effective weapon for the situation but then they made it so every enemy has exactly one good response and the other responses have little or no effect and also seemingly every single enemy in the game is coming at you all at once in every encounter and it just gets exhausting

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I was actually really annoyed when I found out it couldn't play CDs because dedicated CD players are seemingly now in the same state as MP3 players where most of them are either trash, or way too expensive audio nerd grade stuff.

thats why you stick with the GOAT

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

haveblue posted:

That was my reaction too, I don't have a problem with the core concept of choosing an effective weapon for the situation but then they made it so every enemy has exactly one good response and the other responses have little or no effect and also seemingly every single enemy in the game is coming at you all at once in every encounter and it just gets exhausting

you can use 1 weapon on everything if you go on im too young to die, fyi. and its still challenging. the difficulty options in DE are not like the other games and this fucks people up

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vikar Jerome posted:

you can use 1 weapon on everything if you go on im too young to die, fyi. and its still challenging. the difficulty options in DE are not like the other games and this fucks people up

i can't speak for everyone but I could play it on high difficulty it just wasnt enjoyable

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vikar Jerome posted:

thats why you stick with the GOAT

:sickos:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everyone is doing such a good job of describing my issues with Eternal. I keep wanting to quote posts like “yeah this, exactly!!!!!!”

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it's entirely natural to like one over the other because they play so differently.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Everyone is doing such a good job of describing my issues with Eternal. I keep wanting to quote posts like “yeah this, exactly!!!!!!”

its a very good game.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

its a very good game.

It’s the other people I agree with, sorry Vik

Veeg’s old-timey reporter voice is very good

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

Yeah I love Eternal when I get into the flow, but it was a rough experience getting good enough to enjoy it. It also means the first ~third of the campaign sucks because you don't have your full kit yet, the gameplay feels noticeably incomplete without the full array of weapons and grenades. It really doesn't come into its own until Super Gore Nest. Like the game introduces the gorilla guys who rush you well before it gives you a chaingun, and fighting them without one kinda sucks. I love me some high-skill-ceiling games, but key to making them work is that playing badly while you're learning the ropes or unlocking all the tools should still be fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s gonna be pretty cool to watch all the weebs disappear from online for a few days when Endwalker drops, gaming media gonna be a ghost town until Sunday when they surface in pods for more chips and soda

Taking a break from that to post that teleporting space goth gf is launching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2sVK4WZlEQ

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Microsoft NEEDS Game Pass to be insane because otherwise the platform would be a ghost town besides military shooters and their 20 year entrenched fan bases.

Anecdotally, myself and all the friends I know who had PS4s are now playing mainly on Series. A few have PS5 as well but they’ve played all the new games available on it!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

People like to say this like it's ridiculous but yes, dedicated hobbyists who devote thousands and thousands of hours of their free time to doing something purely out of passion often do better work than paid professionals ever will.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Volte posted:

People like to say this like it's ridiculous but yes, dedicated hobbyists who devote thousands and thousands of hours of their free time to doing something purely out of passion often do better work than paid professionals ever will.

Totally. Look at the emulators people have been doing for N64 compared to the low effort poo poo Nintendo put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Remember when Sony licensed an open source emulator for Playstation Classic lol. I know that thing sucked but I don't think it was because of the emulator.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anecdotally, myself and all the friends I know who had PS4s are now playing mainly on Series. A few have PS5 as well but they’ve played all the new games available on it!

Game Pass is pretty much solely responsible for dragging me away from my PS5 and making my PC my primary gaming device. MS did an excellent job creating a compelling offering without compelling exclusives by going for value, such a good job that Sony is forced to respond. And the compelling exclusives are on their way in the next couple years.