Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ninja Scroll is great, but it was always super hosed up, too, even for its day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Vikar Jerome posted:

i really wanna get the terminator game, the sound track keeps popping up on yt and the main theme redention loving owns.

If you have even the slightest bit of love for the first two Terminator movies, get it. You won‘t regret it. The game itself is fine. Nothing groundbreaking, just a solid cookie cutter shooter with crafting and skill tree and a bit of stealth that‘s not completely awful. Story is pretty much a Terminator story as you would expect, with typical twists. But they nailed the athmosphere so drat well.

The last mission, you‘ll be grinning from ear to ear for thirty minutes if you have any love for Terminator.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRVjU2Dz-fY

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Oxxidation posted:

i'm maybe halfway through crash 4 and it's already losing me. the moment-to-moment platforming is great but the devs didn't seem to realize that the series' mainstays just don't work if you're making stages ten times as long as the original trilogy

even if you ignore the insane gem requirements, they've locked bonus stages behind items that can only be grabbed if you haven't died once up to that point in a level. the originals did something similar, but you could clear most of those levels in ninety seconds if you kicked on the afterburners. the average length in 4 is closer to fifteen minutes and the items in question get shoved further and further back to the finish line, to the point where you have to no-death the whole drat level to grab it. this is a series famous for drowning you in 1ups because it's common to kick the bucket 3-5 times on a single jump! i don't like having that kind of pressure!

They really upped the difficulty on it to a frustrating degree, I guess to satisfy the most hardcore fans of the originals. The last few levels are absurd.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ninja Scroll is great, but it was always super hosed up, too, even for its day.

well duh, its an anime

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Bloodstained and Blasphemous are great.
Gonna play Symphony of the Night all the way through too I think. I am on a craving for 2D platformers and it cannot be quenched! :twisted:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Just watched Ninja Scroll and that was pretty good. The fights are loving great, just a bloody mess. Art is real nice. The sex was cringe but whatever. Prety cool.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

VideoGames posted:

Gonna play Symphony of the Night all the way through too I think. I am on a craving for 2D platformers and it cannot be quenched! :twisted:

Metroid 2. But play it on an actual handheld, not some emulator on a computer or something. Also play it in the dark.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

never ask SA goons for game recommendations unless you want someone to tell you to go buy an original gameboy and also somehow play it in the dark.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Goon recommendations have not let me down so far...

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i've certainly had way more misses than hits but disco elysium was almost under-rated despite the praise

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

Goon recommendations have not let me down so far...

Painstakingly building up a level of trustworthiness.... :twisted:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Metroid 2‘s strongest feature is it‘s mood imo (which was completely destroyed in the remake) and the best way to experience that is on a handheld (be it an original Gameboy or a newer thing).

I sadly played the pretty awesome fan-made remake on a PC and I didn‘t like it as much as the original.

I am also wearing these awesome nostalgia goggles.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Spy X family is great. I'm getting into One Piece for the first time, took a while to get interesting, it's daunting how many eps there are though.

Ninja scroll was great, i'd put it up there with Akira for anime films.

Game wise i've finally gotten around to Lost Judgement, and this game is way more interesting than the first one and the combat feels a lot better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

never ask SA goons for game recommendations

outer wilds...
disco elysium...
kentucky route zero...
hollow knight....

I''m thinking vvv might be on to something...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

outer wilds...
disco elysium...
kentucky route zero...
hollow knight....

I''m thinking vvv might be on to something...

Yeah, too many incredible games to play and nothing will reach those highs again.... protecting oneself from too much great gaming....

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

After discovering and backing the Sherlock Holmes Cthulhu game (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frogwares/sherlock-holmes-the-awakened), finally took the plunge and got Chapter One from the Summer sale. Enjoying it so far and it was good to see that they implemented the dickheadiness of the book Sherlock. But it has some weird chugging in the open world, like really big fps drops. Hopefully, it won't be an issue on the Kickstarter one.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

tuo posted:

If you have even the slightest bit of love for the first two Terminator movies, get it. You won‘t regret it. The game itself is fine. Nothing groundbreaking, just a solid cookie cutter shooter with crafting and skill tree and a bit of stealth that‘s not completely awful. Story is pretty much a Terminator story as you would expect, with typical twists. But they nailed the athmosphere so drat well.

The last mission, you‘ll be grinning from ear to ear for thirty minutes if you have any love for Terminator.

They are two of my fav movies ever, nothing but love. I will get the game im just uhh in a spot right now, had two tyres go in the middle of no where and had to call out a scam artist company to get it fixed and lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Speaking of ps5 finally getting games...

https://twitter.com/PS5Trophies_/status/1556394997959852032?t=nzhadZKoI2dW9_kIs3rJsQ&s=19

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Goon game recommendations have never led me to buy a game I ended up hating, however

1) I simply game with joy in my heart and find that even games that aren't great have something to like and have a good time with, and

2) I also like to watch videos of games before I buy them and that's usually a good way of knowing whether a game that was recommended to me will end up clicking or not, so usually if there's a game I would end up really not liking, I found out before I even bought it, no harm no foul

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Goons recs, as all things, can be a double edged sword. They tend to be a little ahh, hyperbolic. Either something is the best ever and you’re a fool for not liking it, or something is the worst ever (even if it is or was widely considered good) and you’ll never hear the end of it anytime it’s mentioned.

If I listened to goons exclusively I’d have missed out on some stuff I really enjoyed, and almost certainly have some buyers remorse on the flip side.

Disco Elysium is probably the last game I can remember buying on good faith and saying to myself “Yeah this is as good as people said”. Cyberpunk is an example of something I really liked despite the majority of goons making GBS threads on it. Granted, my first playthrough is on the patched up PS5 version, but still. The way people talk about games they don’t like around here is as if it committed an unforgivable crime against them.

So the answer is basically what everyone else says. Watch or read stuff about a game you think you might like. If you still think you’d like it, you probably will! Trust no one’s opinion but your own.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the patched ps5 version of cyberpunk should be excluded because the release version was basically pre-alpha and deserved all the vitriol being flung at it. opinions on it have lightened up considerably since then

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I found Disco Elysium boring as someone who likes videogames.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

the patched ps5 version of cyberpunk should be excluded because the release version was basically pre-alpha

worked for me

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The original Metroid 2 is the last Metroid anyone should be playing, it's at the bottom of the series barrel. Play Fusion or the NES original with a guide if you're desperate. 2 is just a simplified take on Metroid with a more linear map where the bulk of the content is repetitive boss fights which can get frustrating toward the end. I haven't played the remake so that's not spoiling my impression. I beat Metroid 2 back when Prime 1 was new and I became smitten with the series, and my takeaway was that it wasn't worth my time, and I was a teenager with nothing but time. Everything you need to know about it is covered in the first minute of Super Metroid.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 8, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
metroid 2's acid sound effect is one of the most gratingly unpleasant sfx i've ever heard and even if you know what you're doing you will be hearing it a lot

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

JBP posted:

I found Disco Elysium boring as someone who likes videogames.

i find titanfall 2 boring as someone who likes more complicated character interactions than pulling a trigger

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Have you tried Hyperbole Simulator? It's the best

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

As someone who doesn't like video games (I love em), both titanfall 2 and disco elysium are insanely really good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never played any Titanfall 2 multiplayer but I played the campaign and it was really fun. I'm not that much of an FPS guy but I had a blast with that one.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

As someone who doesn't like video games (I love em), both titanfall 2 and disco elysium are insanely really good

Truely we are blessed if we can turn down either experience for it being "boring"

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Cyberpunk still feels… clunky? To me even with the PS5 patch. Like all of the things that got complained about for RDR2 eventually felt normal to me, but it hasn’t clicked for me yet in cyberpunk.

I might also just be dumb but I felt like the game discouraged exploring early on. Walk down a street and have a gang attack me when I really don’t have any weapons or tech upgrades. I need to give it another shot in earnest, but it was definitely a different feel from other open world city games I’ve played.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Well if we’re doing this I thought Katana Zero was pretty basic and unmemorable

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

best game ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqww2bvf51g

if you are able play the psx version because the sound design is way better and the voice acting is dumb and rad, otherwise just enjoy

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So I’m on that Gran Turismo 7 poo poo and this game fucks. I’m not even a car person and I can’t help but love how loving detailed and -classy- it is. It’s completely masturbatory but there’s enough accessibility options for noobs like me that I can consistently do well without it being boring. Really good stuff. It’s like, they found a way to ease people in of all skill and interest levels without compromising the in depth mechanics of it. They just want you to love car as much as they do.

I like it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Congratulations to Bridget on her official transition

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Have you tried Hyperbole Simulator? It's the best

I don't play _____ simulators, they are always total poo poo! Worse than my posts even!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
powerwash simulator is like an incredibly lovely time machine

just boot it up whenever you want 60-90 minutes to disappear

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In case anyone would find it fun to argue over which year in gaming was the Best Year Ever, we've got a new Year of the Game thread to settle just that: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4009482

Figured I'd advertise it in a couple threads since it's not our normal GOTY time and people might not be on the lookout for new stickies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kazzah posted:

Well if we’re doing this I thought Katana Zero was pretty basic and unmemorable

Completely agree. It’s baffling how goons hold it in such high regard.