Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kirios posted:

Completely agree. It’s baffling how goons hold it in such high regard.

do they? it got praise when it was released but never adulatory, it was just "this was pretty good" and then everyone moved on

i mainly remember it for committing the mortal sin of ending on a cliffhanger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

powerwash simulator is like an incredibly lovely time machine

just boot it up whenever you want 60-90 minutes to disappear

Powerwash Simulator was a little too bland for me but it did hook me for a few hours before it got monotonous. I'm enjoying House Flipper more, there's a similar satisfaction in cleaning a place up but also you can also remodel and decorate, and you have to use your brain a little to make decisions that will appeal to buyers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

goblin week posted:

Congratulations to Bridget on her official transition

Hell yeah

https://twitter.com/PKSomething_/status/1556621838570196992

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Schremp Howard posted:

Cyberpunk still feels… clunky? To me even with the PS5 patch. Like all of the things that got complained about for RDR2 eventually felt normal to me, but it hasn’t clicked for me yet in cyberpunk.

I might also just be dumb but I felt like the game discouraged exploring early on. Walk down a street and have a gang attack me when I really don’t have any weapons or tech upgrades. I need to give it another shot in earnest, but it was definitely a different feel from other open world city games I’ve played.

I just finished Cyberpunk after a ~70 hour run and I disagree on the clunkiness - if anything, the gunplay/action felt way better than I expected. Thought it was going to be Mass Effect 1 or Deus Ex-ish janky, but the weapons felt very satisfying. Driving didn't feel great until I switched to third person, but some people preferred first person so YMMV.

Agreed on discouraging exploration, though. One of the early quests (I want to say going to Delaimain's HQ to get a refund) pulled me out of Watson, and I tried a nearby NCPD scanner event and died within seconds. It also feels like there's little reason to explore areas or complete gigs outside of Little China, Northside, and Little Japan because the main quests keep you there. There's also a pacing issue; if you've completed all of the side quests prior to Act 3, there's little to do while you wait for the Kerry quests. I ended up having to skip time quite a lot to finish his questline.

Still a 10/10 game for me because of the strong NPCs/storytelling, quests, and atmosphere. Looking forward to seeing what the DLC brings

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
cyberpunk is still a bit jank but if you can stand bethesda games it's at "actually fine for a big game" levels rather than like, playing the XBOX One version on release or something lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Thinking I might have a go at saga frontier remastered. I cant stick to anything at the moment. Has my adhd somehow gotten worse??

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SaGa Frontier Remastered is incredibly good

Also my ADHD has definitely gotten worse and I had that experience last year of just being unable to stick to anything, so I can relate. I played way way too much of SaGa Frontier last year though.

If you haven't played SaGa Frontier before just know that the mechanics will not make much sense and that's on purpose and why it's fun

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
based on what i know of bridget's backstory i am not sure that she's the shining example of trans representation y'might be after but maybe they've retconned things since the original and axl's daisy dukes

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

acksplode posted:

The original Metroid 2 is the last Metroid anyone should be playing, it's at the bottom of the series barrel. Play Fusion or the NES original with a guide if you're desperate. 2 is just a simplified take on Metroid with a more linear map where the bulk of the content is repetitive boss fights which can get frustrating toward the end. I haven't played the remake so that's not spoiling my impression. I beat Metroid 2 back when Prime 1 was new and I became smitten with the series, and my takeaway was that it wasn't worth my time, and I was a teenager with nothing but time. Everything you need to know about it is covered in the first minute of Super Metroid.

they should play AM2R instead tbh, played through it in the run up to dread and it loving owns

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

fridge corn posted:

Have you tried Hyperbole Simulator? It's the best

i clicked the steam link and it just sent me to The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > PlayStation 5: I said what out loud after reading this post.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

i clicked the steam link and it just sent me to The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > PlayStation 5: I said what out loud after reading this post.

You've come to the right place

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Casnorf posted:

based on what i know of bridget's backstory i am not sure that she's the shining example of trans representation y'might be after but maybe they've retconned things since the original and axl's daisy dukes

My stance is that the original take on the character was lame and played for comedy so just throwing that out and going "nah she's trans" is good

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

best game ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqww2bvf51g

if you are able play the psx version because the sound design is way better and the voice acting is dumb and rad, otherwise just enjoy

oh gently caress, this is what i needed, i havent felt like playing a game for a good few weeks now, i almost forgot what it was like... but this... this gets the blood flowing. i can see alucard doing a backstep to in my minds eye

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gifs you can hear

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
OK I give up. Returnal is too hard for me. Ugh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How far did you get?

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Playing Ghostwire Tokyo right now and... it's good? I GameFly'd it, and i''m playing it on easy (combat is clunky enough to where I feel like playing it on normal would be a chore). I like the setting and my ghost partner, and going around doing side quests, learning about spirits is neat. I'm only at the start of chapter 3 (of 6), though, and the rest of the map looks big, so I could see myself burning out on it and rushing through the critical path at some point.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
First biome lmao. Made it to the boss twice. Got him to his final stage and then died.
Now I can't even make it back there. One too many frustrating deads where I entered a room and a ton of enemies swarm me or knock me down, while a turret is shooting etc.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
My goon game rec is to play Rygar on a game gear in a plane preferably on its way to Honolulu if you can swing it. If you can’t pull that off, maybe Final Fantasy Legends on a game boy with the magnification screen while your little sister sister keeps bugging you to let her play Super Mario Land. It might just be the nostalgia goggles but that’s just A+ gaming to me.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oxxidation posted:

metroid 2's acid sound effect is one of the most gratingly unpleasant sfx i've ever heard

I recommend the Tazmania game on the Game Gear for a comparison test. There was even a run of it at AGDQ this year you can watch to prep yourself. :twisted:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

shut up blegum posted:

First biome lmao. Made it to the boss twice. Got him to his final stage and then died.
Now I can't even make it back there. One too many frustrating deads where I entered a room and a ton of enemies swarm me or knock me down, while a turret is shooting etc.

If you want easy mode on the first biome, just play until you hit the store, buy a large health vial, and if it spawns an astronaut grab that too. It’s basically a free extra 1-2 health bars.

Tbh I’m not sure how you can’t make it back to the boss though cause usually the boss room spawns pretty close to the entrance. You could theoretically probably be there in just a few minutes.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

veni veni veni posted:

If you want easy mode on the first biome, just play until you hit the store, buy a large health vial, and if it spawns an astronaut grab that too. It’s basically a free extra 1-2 health bars.

Tbh I’m not sure how you can’t make it back to the boss though cause usually the boss room spawns pretty close to the entrance. You could theoretically probably be there in just a few minutes.

You need obolites for that, and most of the obolites have despawned by the time I can pick them up.
And I feel like I'm running through 10+ doors, and the boss room is nowhere to be seen

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Arist posted:

My stance is that the original take on the character was lame and played for comedy so just throwing that out and going "nah she's trans" is good

retcon, then. excellent! devotion to canon is kinda silly anyway.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Tower of Sisyphus is way more fun than I thought it would be, it's great how quickly you can get new weapon perks, and the story content is good too, i might actually try to go for the Plat, having tier 3 perks just cleans up rooms pretty easily.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

SaGa Frontier Remastered is incredibly good

Also my ADHD has definitely gotten worse and I had that experience last year of just being unable to stick to anything, so I can relate. I played way way too much of SaGa Frontier last year though.

If you haven't played SaGa Frontier before just know that the mechanics will not make much sense and that's on purpose and why it's fun

I've played loads of saga frontier and saga frontier 2 but it never made any loving sense to me at all so I'm curious to see if a mature adult brain (lol) will be able to work it out

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Casnorf posted:

retcon, then. excellent! devotion to canon is kinda silly anyway.

To be clear I haven't seen her bio in Strive and when I tweeted basically "Even if Bridget's backstory is kind of weird now that she's officially trans, that backstory kinda sucked so it's no real loss" a trans woman replied to me saying that they personally didn't see this development as a retcon or even necessarily an inconsistency, so your mileage may vary.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I've played loads of saga frontier and saga frontier 2 but it never made any loving sense to me at all so I'm curious to see if a mature adult brain (lol) will be able to work it out

I'll say that as an adult, most of SaGa Frontier's systems actually made perfect sense to me in the remaster (they definitely did not when I was first obsessed with it as a kid) except monsters. I read that whole loving GameFAQs guide, twice, and I still can't figure out how to manipulate what form monsters take.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Harrow posted:

I'll say that as an adult, most of SaGa Frontier's systems actually made perfect sense to me in the remaster (they definitely did not when I was first obsessed with it as a kid) except monsters. I read that whole loving GameFAQs guide, twice, and I still can't figure out how to manipulate what form monsters take.

This is encouraging, thanks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

an owls casket posted:

Playing Ghostwire Tokyo right now and... it's good? I GameFly'd it, and i''m playing it on easy (combat is clunky enough to where I feel like playing it on normal would be a chore). I like the setting and my ghost partner, and going around doing side quests, learning about spirits is neat. I'm only at the start of chapter 3 (of 6), though, and the rest of the map looks big, so I could see myself burning out on it and rushing through the critical path at some point.

It's actually smaller than it looks and finishing chapter 4 takes you out of the open world map and on a linear path to the end (though you can still go back).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know what this Bridget thing is

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Escobarbarian posted:

AGuilty Gear character they added as DLC in Strive??

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

shut up blegum posted:

You need obolites for that, and most of the obolites have despawned by the time I can pick them up.
And I feel like I'm running through 10+ doors, and the boss room is nowhere to be seen

Don't give up! Make sure you're maintaining adrenaline as much as you can, especially level..3? I think? The one that causes more money to spawn. It makes a big difference.

In the meantime you are still making progress by slowly unlocking traits for your weapons. Some of those are real game changers.

And finally...sometimes you just get a tough run. Or two or three. Happens to everyone.

I believe in you!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

a fighting game, guilty gear strive, just had its season 2 character announced.

https://www.ign.com/articles/guilty-gear-strive-season-pass-2-release-date-bridget

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

evo is on and poo poo is dropping hard and fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbiBbVP06pA

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

It's actually smaller than it looks and finishing chapter 4 takes you out of the open world map and on a linear path to the end (though you can still go back).

That's good to know, thanks!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

who will be dropped off the cliff this time :ohdear:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Arist posted:

they personally didn't see this development as a retcon or even necessarily an inconsistency, so your mileage may vary.

That part I can live with -- you should see what happens when you suggest that claiming Samus Aran is trans just reinforces existing heteronormative gender stereotypes, hahaha -- but I guess I'm really hoping it's a full retcon because I don't see any way to spin a childhood socialization component leading to an egg crack as anything but harmful. (For them what's all ready and rarin' t'go: Please to note a vast world of difference between socialization component and normalization of. If you wanna argue real hard that being trans has any nurture aspect and is not entirely nature then enjoy but I will cheerfully laugh in your face and dismiss everything you've ever said, done, or thought) Whooboy, a character whose transness is informed (even if only incidentally!) by the way they was raised? I can't in any reasonable way call that a Good Look.

not that ill do anything about it other than make an rear end of myself on the internet haha

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The new Guilty Gear Strive character, Bridget, is cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Casnorf posted:

That part I can live with -- you should see what happens when you suggest that claiming Samus Aran is trans just reinforces existing heteronormative gender stereotypes, hahaha -- but I guess I'm really hoping it's a full retcon because I don't see any way to spin a childhood socialization component leading to an egg crack as anything but harmful. (For them what's all ready and rarin' t'go: Please to note a vast world of difference between socialization component and normalization of. If you wanna argue real hard that being trans has any nurture aspect and is not entirely nature then enjoy but I will cheerfully laugh in your face and dismiss everything you've ever said, done, or thought) Whooboy, a character whose transness is informed (even if only incidentally!) by the way they was raised? I can't in any reasonable way call that a Good Look.

not that ill do anything about it other than make an rear end of myself on the internet haha

ok