Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I know it’s a game that came out in the mid 90s, but some people haven’t played the original or the remake so maybe put that in spoiler tags? I mean, I know there’s a sub forum that has spoiler tags that literally say AERIS DIES!, but idk, i think VG has somehow managed to avoid this information. also I have a good friend who got that bit spoiled for him not long after the game came out, when he was playing it and he’s still mad at the kid who spoiled it for him.

But I’m sure FF7 Remake part 2 or 3 or whenever they get around to that part of the game will sort of assume you know that spoiler and do something to mess with expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Remnant looks like house of the dead and plays like Resident Evil 1.

Also somehow got lucky on Amazon this morning for yet another PS5.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

We also do not know what major story beats from the original are going to happen in Remake. It's clear that Remake is going in a different direction and that Square might be making some very controversial decisions with the story. They arguably already have.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yeah I am jumping past posts right now with fear.

Thank you Imhotep!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been running through the Alan Wake dlc for Control. I'd heard pretty negative things, but I'm enjoying it. It's noticeably going for a spookier vibe than the main game and it hits most of those notes I think. We'll see how things shake out plot-wise though, I loved Alan Wake so I'm hoping they do the story justice with this.

Also I'm repeating myself but the combat feels so much better at 60 fps. I'm noticing more and more as the game goes on because the combat is at its best when you're spamming abilities non-stop, so you really need a smooth experience for that to feel right.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The AWE DLC is worth it solely for having a replayable horde mode and boss rush. Fun way to kill 15 minutes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

I said come in! posted:

I am really excited for the Odyssey expansion. Being able to walk around on planets, and space stations, is something players have been wanting for so long, and it's the one feature that the Elite series has never had.

what about "a gameplay loop" or "a story" or "any reason to play whatsoever"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

what about "a gameplay loop" or "a story" or "any reason to play whatsoever"

Elite Dangerous doesn't need that silly bullshit. :hellyeah: There have always been randomly generated missions at space stations. Game has literally 100,000,000,000 solar systems in it, and gets updated all the time as NASA finds new planets, and natural satellites such as a black holes, and large asteroids, to include those in the game. There's no shortage of things to explore.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

The AWE DLC is worth it solely for having a replayable horde mode and boss rush. Fun way to kill 15 minutes.

It's also got the coolest location in Oldest House (Investigations). An entirely abandoned department because everything got TOO trippy.

Investigations and the area ruined by the duplicating clocks are my 2 favorite parts of the map. If there's ever a Control 2 I hope they explore more insane ideas. I get Hitchhiker's Guide vibes from the weirder poo poo played off as routine.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

smoobles posted:

It's also got the coolest location in Oldest House (Investigations). An entirely abandoned department because everything got TOO trippy.

Investigations and the area ruined by the duplicating clocks are my 2 favorite parts of the map. If there's ever a Control 2 I hope they explore more insane ideas.

Yeah I like the documentation around the area of all the different departments blaming each other for poo poo going so wrong, meanwhile they just closed off the area and took an "out of sight, out of mind" approach to the existential horrors they let loose in there.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Cardiovorax posted:

I think it says something about how much more people care about the characters themselves than about the plot. I can imagine a lot of people being "yeah, yeah, clone blah blah blah cells blah blah blah tragic background blah blah blah" and then "wait, Aeris dies? But I liked her!" when they didn't give much of a crap about any other part of this.

But that's what's so wild! All of this stuff basicaly characterisation!

Spoilers for a 23 year old game, I guess.

Cloud obviously has his whole dramatic unravelling of the personality he built around his cool friend's identity, and gradually comes to terms with the fact that he's just a giant dork with mako powers who's pretending to be a badass operative (and Remake absolutely nails this part), which is why everybody remembers the "let's mosey" line so fondly.

Tifa has been gaslighting Cloud ever since he showed back up in Midgar. She knows the story Cloud tells the group in Kalm is wrong, because she was there, she immediately knows that it was Zack and not Cloud who did all that stuff, and she chooses to maintain the lie even as Cloud is having literal cognitive dissonance headaches, but she does this because she's terrified that he won't be able to resolve the truth if he learns it.

Barret is caring and insightful but also hopelessly out of his depth and flying by the seat of his pants, he's been pretty much continually improvising ever since the Corel reactor saga, he's not the lifelong militant fanatic whose character he adopts, he's just been radicalised and wants the best for Marlene. Though he has no idea of the rabbit hole his eco-terrorism would lead him down, he also helps everyone keep perspective between the giant cosmic evil and the extant human evil that's just as big a threat if left unchecked.

Aerith is pretty much the only character in the game besides Jenova who ever had any agency in the plot, she drove the whole drat thing, she pulled all the strings, she manipulated everyone, Cloud, Avalanche, Shinra, even Jenova, she played them all like a drat string section. She also has known more or less from the beginning exactly where and how and most importantly why she was going to die. She lies and lies and lies and lies and it's not even really malicious, she's just trying to play the hand she was dealt to accomplish some good.

This is just what I can remember about the initial four.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

elf help book posted:

It's a full complete game. They could stop here and it'd be fine. Play it now

cool, cant wait to see cid and fly around on the highwind to the northern crater and raise and race chocobos at the gold saucer once again, i bet meteor in the sky and knights of round looks amazing, oh poo poo cant wait to see weapon attacking junon, that scene was hype as hell in the original, im gonna load up the remake right now, cant wait to see it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

cool, cant wait to see cid and fly around on the highwind to the northern crater and raise and race chocobos at the gold saucer once again, i bet meteor in the sky and knights of round looks amazing.

Nobody can say anything else without ~*~*spoilers*~*~ so just play it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fedule posted:

But that's what's so wild! All of this stuff basicaly characterisation!
Yeah, but that's kind of the thing, isn't it? There's a difference between characterization and character, especially when the characterization is all about recontextualizing backstory facts. It's the same reason people cared a lot more about SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!! than about the fact that ol' Dumbles used to run with the Wizard Hitler before the current Wizard Hitler. One happens where you can see it and means you won't see an entertaining character again. The other is just a setting element that would matter a lot more to the characters themselves than to anyone reading about them.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nobody can say anything else without ~*~*spoilers*~*~ so just play it.

i already know.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Aeris LIVES

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Somehow, Aerith returned

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

loving lmao

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Somehow, Aerith returned

lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Vikar Jerome posted:

cool, cant wait to see cid and fly around on the highwind to the northern crater and raise and race chocobos at the gold saucer once again, i bet meteor in the sky and knights of round looks amazing, oh poo poo cant wait to see weapon attacking junon, that scene was hype as hell in the original, im gonna load up the remake right now, cant wait to see it.

play the fucken game u idiot

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I dunno FF16 looks pretty dull and uninspired too. I was honestly shocked at the incredibly high quality of FF7's remake. But as Game of Thrones shows, it's a hell of a lot easier to adapt than create.

16 is designed by dragons doggema guy so im hoping if its similarly basic looking it also hides a wacky set of cool mechanics

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Not playing FF7R because you think it's an incomplete game and then ignoring the advice of everyone telling you it is a full game and is worth it for spoiler reasons they can't tell you? That is a special kind of energy.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I never liked original VII, first playing it on release and having played many rpg prior. I found everything to do with Aeris to be utterly ineffectual on an emotional level as I never felt a reason to care was given aside from her being a saccharine sweetheart in the very short amount of time she's around, and I suppose that's because I found Cloud to be devoid of personality and so their relationship fell flat on its face. His hero's journey was entry level, and on that note I also couldn't stand the graphical stylings, Cloud's sword being an excellent symbol of that. Babby's first waifu, Pinocchio learns to be a real live boy, and whoaaaa cool his sword is so huge! never did a single thing for me and I feel the game gets way too much praise for legacy and nostalgia, much I think from people who can claim it their first ever rpg. Tons to love in it from the cast of characters, some weird and interesting story elements with Jenova, the tragic nature of being told the fate of the world up top and yet still fighting the good fight, and so much more that I don't judge anyone for digging it like a desert grave but man, I just continue to be mystified by how deified it is.

Remake seems really interesting, tho, and I definitely reserve any criticism until I've played it as I think it looks to make changes which would potentially address my qualms save that dang sword. It's too big, y'all. But at least everyone doesn't look like people made from toothpicks and marshmallows.

Agrias120 posted:

That is a special kind of energy.

Me too, special energy.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I dunno FF16 looks pretty dull and uninspired too. I was honestly shocked at the incredibly high quality of FF7's remake. But as Game of Thrones shows, it's a hell of a lot easier to adapt than create.

Completely disagree. I welcome to the return to fantasy and not Sci Fi / Modern aesthetic from the last few games

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Agrias120 posted:

Not playing FF7R because you think it's an incomplete game and then ignoring the advice of everyone telling you it is a full game and is worth it for spoiler reasons they can't tell you? That is a special kind of energy.

i already know the spoiler. its big physical media collection energy.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

i already know the spoiler.

Then you already know your complaints are silly.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Then you already know your complaints are silly.

nah.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

cvnvcnv posted:

I never liked original VII, first playing it on release and having played many rpg prior. I found everything to do with Aeris to be utterly ineffectual on an emotional level as I never felt a reason to care was given aside from her being a saccharine sweetheart in the very short amount of time she's around, and I suppose that's because I found Cloud to be devoid of personality and so their relationship fell flat on its face. His hero's journey was entry level, and on that note I also couldn't stand the graphical stylings, Cloud's sword being an excellent symbol of that. Babby's first waifu, Pinocchio learns to be a real live boy, and whoaaaa cool his sword is so huge! never did a single thing for me and I feel the game gets way too much praise for legacy and nostalgia, much I think from people who can claim it their first ever rpg. Tons to love in it from the cast of characters, some weird and interesting story elements with Jenova, the tragic nature of being told the fate of the world up top and yet still fighting the good fight, and so much more that I don't judge anyone for digging it like a desert grave but man, I just continue to be mystified by how deified it is.

Remake seems really interesting, tho, and I definitely reserve any criticism until I've played it as I think it looks to make changes which would potentially address my qualms save that dang sword. It's too big, y'all. But at least everyone doesn't look like people made from toothpicks and marshmallows.

Me too, special energy.

Aeris is really not a "saccharine sweetheart" at all, Tifa actually fits that description more. Aeris is a pretty self-assured and confident character who actually goes against the innocent waifu stereotype and that's true in both the original and the remake

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

cvnvcnv posted:

Me too, special energy.

I also really didnt like original ff7 aeris and didnt care about anything that happened to her, however she became my favourite character in the Remake

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Aeris is really not a "saccharine sweetheart" at all, Tifa actually fits that description more. Aeris is a pretty self-assured and confident character who actually goes against the innocent waifu stereotype and that's true in both the original and the remake

I always got something more sorrowful from Tifa, in spite of what I felt to be posturing on her part. Aeris may not be as my words indicate as a character but I got that sense from her role, though I definitely wasn't implying Aeris lacks in agency or nerve. She's strong but her role to me from the visuals with the flowers to getting Cloud to act like a person was very soft touch. That's more the spirit of what I was communicating.

fridge corn posted:

I also really didnt like original ff7 aeris and didnt care about anything that happened to her, however she became my favourite character in the Remake

That's super interesting. I was wishy-washy on playing now or waiting but I'm sold now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Tifa is fronting and Aeris is really just kind of a jerk. They're both interesting subversions of more stereotypical JRPG female characters in their own way.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Vikar Jerome posted:

Ok, then don't play it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The English voice cast and new script localization really do wonders for the remake. Barret in particular transforms from a pretty embarrassing stereotype into a multifaceted and superbly well-acted character.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

elf help book posted:

Ok, then don't play it.

u cant tell me what to do im gonna start playing it on friday now :colbert:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This is something I've always really liked about FF7

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

u cant tell me what to do im gonna start playing it on friday now :colbert:

All that stuff you said actually is in the remake, but I've now deleted it from your copy.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Is there any new info on the release for Disco Elysium on PS4/PS5? All I can find online is "March 2021" and since that's now it seems weird there is no exact date yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

16 is designed by dragons doggema guy so im hoping if its similarly basic looking it also hides a wacky set of cool mechanics

Oh. So, this actually changes things. Dragon's Dogma is one of those gems that nobody played. It's one of the games that needs a really high quality sequel.