Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm not sure I still want one or not, but I have one paid off so yolo or whatever the cool teens are saying these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1318971345049391108

please don't play devil may cry at 30fps

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

On a 4k oled is 1080p with RT going to look better than 4k with no RT? Maybe it is because mine is only 55" but I don't see that much difference between 1080p and 4k in the few pc games I tried. Maybe it is the games I tried maybe I'm just blind

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

4K should look significantly sharper on a 55" 4K screen

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lol at anybody who would take rt over 60fps

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'd go ooh ahh at the super accurate puddle reflections for a few minutes and then forget about it and see what that "up to 120fps" really means. Can't imagine the RT effects are going to be that noticeable versus framerate and resolution with a twitch game like DMC.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chin Strap posted:

On a 4k oled is 1080p with RT going to look better than 4k with no RT? Maybe it is because mine is only 55" but I don't see that much difference between 1080p and 4k in the few pc games I tried. Maybe it is the games I tried maybe I'm just blind

It will look softer and with slightly different effects, primarily in reflections

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lolling at the idea of having a 4K 120hz tv, they must cost a fortune

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

4K should look significantly sharper on a 55" 4K screen

I didn't notice the difference with DS3 on my 1080 nvidia. Need to look closer maybe or old game?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

I didn't notice the difference with DS3 on my 1080 nvidia. Need to look closer maybe or old game?

I dunno how good DS3's texture work is at higher res, it tops out at 1080p on a PS4 Pro. There's a 4K30fps mode in God of War 2018 and it's very noticeable if you turn it on compared to the 1080p unlocked frame-rate mode, the graphics are way sharper.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Since I joined after I already had a PS4, how does Costco handle console releases? Have they had any PS5 pre-orders available? Will they?

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are

I think 120hz is kind of the norm for 4k TVs these days. My 4k Sony is over a year old and has it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

I dunno how good DS3's texture work is at higher res, it tops out at 1080p on a PS4 Pro. There's a 4K30fps mode in God of War 2018 and it's very noticeable if you turn it on compared to the 1080p unlocked frame-rate mode, the graphics are way sharper.

Yeah I'll play around with settings when I get the ps5 but I'm guessing I'd go for 60fps non RT 4k

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DuffMayhem posted:

I think 120hz is kind of the norm for 4k TVs these days. My 4k Sony is over a year old and has it.

How much did it cost?

DuffMayhem
May 14, 2003

Does it depress you?
How alone you really are
Got it on an Amazon sale for about $1500 for a 75". Its the XBR900F model.

vvv That makes sense.

DuffMayhem fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 21, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DuffMayhem posted:

yeah 120hz panels aren't that uncommon on 4k TVs, the catch is that older/cheaper models only accept 120hz at 1080p or 1440p, with full 4k 120hz being limited to expensive LG OLEDs for now

given that games 120hz modes will usually run at 1440p or less for performance i'm not sure lacking 4k 120hz capability will really be much of a limitation this gen though

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Ray tracing is cool and all but there is no way I am choosing it over 60 fps.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lumpy posted:

Since I joined after I already had a PS4, how does Costco handle console releases? Have they had any PS5 pre-orders available? Will they?
I asked when I was at Costco, the answer being "we don't know, there's nothing listed in inventory but call us like the week before release because that could change." Manager said if they knew for sure they were getting units there'd at least be a placeholder SKU. He did say they were likely to get at least a few though.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

SubponticatePoster posted:

I asked when I was at Costco, the answer being "we don't know, there's nothing listed in inventory but call us like the week before release because that could change." Manager said if they knew for sure they were getting units there'd at least be a placeholder SKU. He did say they were likely to get at least a few though.

So you are saying I should start camping out now. Got it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Is this a joke

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lumpy posted:

So you are saying I should start camping out now. Got it.
I go every couple weeks for coffee and stuff, I'll be asking again on my next visit. It may only be select stores too, if their inventory is limited. Lucky me I shop at the largest Costco in the world, so I expect if they do get any that store will get at least a few. If I hear anything I'll post in the thread. I remember them having PS4s when other retailers were out around launch.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

1080p with RT it is!

also, i guess that confirms it, 60fps is not going to be standard (we all knew lol) but at least the options are there

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I mean it will without raytracing. Raytracing is still in it's infancy and isn't going to be standard with 4k 60 for awhile. It's a very graphically intensive process.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 21, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought the raytracing was hardware

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Devil May Cry has way too many stuff happening on screen, I don't think RT will be much noticeable. Does consoles get some 'DLSS'-like stuff ? That's magic (and nvidia only it seems)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It is, which is why it's possible at all, but it still takes time for the RT core to grind through the work for each frame and that time has to be added onto the time to render the rest of the frame

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 21, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bradzilla posted:

Is this a joke

You tell me!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

History Comes Inside! posted:

What’s hard about the PS4 and patching exactly?

Not a sassy rear end in a top hat question, I’m genuinely curious what people don’t like about it because “download update -> install update” has never given me any troubles.

I think they more mean the fact that it has to download with enough space to decompress, which takes ages and twice the amount of file-size required.

Yeah this, I was sleepy when I made that post and couldn't phrase it right :haw:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It can be both, software and hardware. It's still too taxing for current tech in any form but as other effects, it'll become just another effect.

I rather play 4k 60fps with no RT but unless something changes next year, both TVs I own are 1080p so I guess I can just play DMC V 1080p/60fps/RT when I get a PS5.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still don’t have the new PlayStation store in the UK dangnabbit. Just let me pre-order my PS5 games already Sony you monsters

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Guillermus posted:

It can be both, software and hardware. It's still too taxing for current tech in any form but as other effects, it'll become just another effect.

I rather play 4k 60fps with no RT but unless something changes next year, both TVs I own are 1080p so I guess I can just play DMC V 1080p/60fps/RT when I get a PS5.

Yeah this generation I’m taking every 4K/60 mode over raytracing. It’s a cool feature that I don’t think I would notice very much especially in games with more action.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

DuffMayhem posted:

You need HDMI 2.1 to run games at 120hz though, which almost no one has. I have an lg b8 that is 120hz but HDMI 2.0.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rad Valtar posted:

Yeah this generation I’m taking every 4K/60 mode over raytracing. It’s a cool feature that I don’t think I would notice very much especially in games with more action.

I'll be always a PC performance nerd so I don't mind turning off eye candy that isn't that important in a fast game if that means sharper graphics and smoother framerates.

(I keep disabling blur, bloom and depth of field in any PC/console game that has the option to and I don't think I'll ever stop doing so)

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Guillermus posted:

I'll be always a PC performance nerd so I don't mind turning off eye candy that isn't that important in a fast game if that means sharper graphics and smoother framerates.

(I keep disabling blur, bloom and depth of field in any PC/console game that has the option to and I don't think I'll ever stop doing so)

The first thing I do in every game I play is turn off motion blur. I hate it and it messes with my eyes.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Fullscreen motion blur is a scam, but object motion blur is the kind of thing I have to evaluate on a game-by-game basis, because sometimes it's done well, usually it's not.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The new Modern Warfare has extremely good motion blur on the weapon models. It's really subtle but looks great

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

It is, which is why it's possible at all, but it still takes time for the RT core to grind through the work for each frame and that time has to be added onto the time to render the rest of the frame

Plus the RT cores don't do all the work required for a raytracing effect, say you're doing raytraced reflections the RT core will tell you what the reflection ray hit, but you still need to figure out what the lighting is at that point and denoise the results, both of which consume regular shader resources

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

You need HDMI 2.1 to run games at 120hz though, which almost no one has. I have an lg b8 that is 120hz but HDMI 2.0.

You need HDMI 2.1 for 120hz at 4K, but very few games are going to render 4K in their 120hz modes anyway

HDMI 2.0 can carry 1080p120 or 1440p120 just fine though TV support varies, your B8 supports 1080p120

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b8-oled
"1080p @ 120 Hz: Yes (native support)"

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 21, 2020

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

These are the same thing to me

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

Still don’t have the new PlayStation store in the UK dangnabbit. Just let me pre-order my PS5 games already Sony you monsters

Its on in the north!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So, yeah, TVs have had 120Hz panels for ages now, since 2006 I think, but for the first few years it was a scam because they didn't have inputs that could take 120Hz signals, so that framerate was only available if you were using interpolation to fill it out. HDMI 1.4, which launched in 2009, notionally supported 1080p120 but nothing using HDMI for output at the time was really capable of notional 120Hz output, let alone running a video game rendering at 120fps. Computers and consoles have since advanced a lot.

The vast majority of TVs in operation today will support 120Hz input of some kind, although only TVs with HDMI 2.1 (first available in TVs 2019) can support 120Hz at 4K.