Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Old Monk: In
Scraping Spear: On
Omnidirectional Rolling: Let's go

It's time to game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Infinite supply of healing grass: oh poo poo

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

haveblue posted:

It's not so much about difficulty as about the items and encounters that are locked to tendency levels. It was a bad decision to do that with something the player has no direct control over and there's a reason none of the later games repeated it.

I'm reading this as "hiding special items and events behind playing well is actually bad".

TLDR: Demons Souls is perfect and how dare you criticize anything about that game ever hahaha

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

anothergod posted:

I'm reading this as "hiding special items and events behind playing well is actually bad".

Killing yourself in the nexus and going offline to avoid syncing with the metaserver aren't "playing well"

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If anything it’s "hiding special items and events behind other people playing well or poorly is actually bad"

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

ufarn posted:

The person in charge of the combat was poached from Capcom yeah.

As someone who never really paid attention to FF this has me hyped to play it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
My DualSense™ controller arrived today, as did my charging station. itsHappening.gif

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ethiser posted:

If anything it’s "hiding special items and events behind other people playing well or poorly is actually bad"

I don’t think that’s a fair take, if it was that you could just get it for free

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Rad Valtar posted:

As someone who never really paid attention to FF this has me hyped to play it.

Did you play FF7 remake? I never particularly enjoyed the combat in the like 3 other final fantasy games I’d finished (the DS versions of 3 and 4 and the original 7), but didn’t like the combat in 9 or 10 and didn’t care about the story. But FF7 has really fun combat I think, it’s like just enough on the action side of the style of RPGs I like, which is really just like Soulsborne games, but i wasn’t planning on getting the remake until I played the demo and was really impressed by the combat as well as everything else, but yeah 16 sounds really sick if it’s like that plus DMC.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Imhotep posted:

Did you play FF7 remake? I never particularly enjoyed the combat in the like 3 other final fantasy games I’d finished (the DS versions of 3 and 4 and the original 7), but didn’t like the combat in 9 or 10 and didn’t care about the story. But FF7 has really fun combat I think, it’s like just enough on the action side of the style of RPGs I like, which is really just like Soulsborne games, but i wasn’t planning on getting the remake until I played the demo and was really impressed by the combat as well as everything else, but yeah 16 sounds really sick if it’s like that plus DMC.

Oh yeah I did play FF7 remake and really liked it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

FF7R is a national treasure.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
It really is, it went from a game I was planning on getting when it was on sale to pre ordering it and beating it within a week or so and is maybe my favorite game of the year. Like, 15 was just incredibly boring to me and I stopped playing after a few hours, compared to 7 which hooked me within the first minutes and I loved every minute of it, like the only real criticism I have is that the mako 5 reactor section where you have to turn off the three lamps or whatever was a bit tedious and the drum was maybe a bit too long, but that’s literally it. I just didn’t expect Square to nail it that hard.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Imhotep posted:

It really is, it went from a game I was planning on getting when it was on sale to pre ordering it and beating it within a week or so and is maybe my favorite game of the year. Like, 15 was just incredibly boring to me and I stopped playing after a few hours, compared to 7 which hooked me within the first minutes and I loved every minute of it, like the only real criticism I have is that the mako 5 reactor section where you have to turn off the three lamps or whatever was a bit tedious and the drum was maybe a bit too long, but that’s literally it. I just didn’t expect Square to nail it that hard.

Same. I enjoyed XV but it was definitely cobbled together, I guess I just liked how much heart it had despite such troubled development.

7R, tho, it feels like the Squaresoft of the 90s suddenly showed up fresh on my doorstep after some kind of harrowing vision quest in the videogame desert. The company I thought was dead after like 2005 seems alive and well and totally refreshed. I might be on the verge of being a dedicated Square fan again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xv was not fun for me
7r was very fun

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

FF7R is amazing as it is frustrating, because it's a firm reminder of how good Square-Enix is when they use their whole-rear end to make a video game and what we typically get are cobbled together half-assed Nomura joints. I'm still pretty excited though for 16 given that it has Dragon's Dogma/Devil May Cry combat alumni on board.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm honestly way more excited about Naoki Yoshida being the producer, because a skilled producer makes all of the difference in the world.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lumpy posted:

My DualSense™ controller arrived today, as did my charging station. itsHappening.gif

Is it really gray and not white, as people have said in YouTube while holding their very white controllers? Are cameras just incapable of displaying it?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

shrike82 posted:

gonna be a good end to 2020 if i can help kick that cheeto out and get some Demon's Souls action going on the week after

Hell yeah! (I won’t buy demon souls at launch but I will be playing dope PS4 games on my brand new PS5)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is it really gray and not white, as people have said in YouTube while holding their very white controllers? Are cameras just incapable of displaying it?

It's actually white but because of the black parts of the controller there's an optical illusion that makes you see gray.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

both the controller and the console are light grey with tiny little playstation symbol texture embossing all over them

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
You all forgetting the biggest improvement on demons souls: motherfucking vault

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

ZZZorcerer posted:

You all forgetting the biggest improvement on demons souls: motherfucking vault
It existed before, it just didn't have the animation for it and it is only in certain places like the original.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Ethiser posted:

Yeah, I guess you could have your tendency dropped by a massive amount of other people playing poorly, but also you could do one coop mission and rank up. Or you can villain it up for one and rank down.

But, yeah, I suppose you can do stupid things like kill yourself to cheese the system or just avoid the system altogether so some people will inevitably call the whole thing dumb.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lobok posted:

It's actually white but because of the black parts of the controller there's an optical illusion that makes you see gray.

It's definitely a very light gray. The box is stark white, and holding the light part of the controller next to it makes this very obvious.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

both the controller and the console are light grey with tiny little playstation symbol texture embossing all over them

The controller is smooth on top, but has the textured surface on the bottom.

Feels hefty in a good way. Like a refined PS4 controller :swoon:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

anothergod posted:

Yeah, I guess you could have your tendency dropped by a massive amount of other people playing poorly, but also you could do one coop mission and rank up. Or you can villain it up for one and rank down.

But, yeah, I suppose you can do stupid things like kill yourself to cheese the system or just avoid the system altogether so some people will inevitably call the whole thing dumb.

The whole thing is dumb op

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

For those who may care: Far Cry 6 and a game I'd never heard of until now called Rainbow Six: Quarantine have been delayed to some time between April and September 2021.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The little symbols on the controller were visible in the first promo images they released with the original reveal, I haven’t seen them on the console though?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

The little symbols on the controller were visible in the first promo images they released with the original reveal, I haven’t seen them on the console though?

hmmm, maybe I'm wrong. I could'a sworn

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im ready to playstation

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

With my plain old eyes, the underside of the controller looks like "generic textured plastic". If I use my phone camera and zoom in on it, you can see the texture is itty bitty playstation controller symbols. Then again I am old and wear bifocals, so maybe some of you young whippersnappers will be able to see it, but it's really, really small. So unless they are super zoomed in on the textured part of the light plastic on the console, you won't be able to see it in pictures most likely.

EDIT: In the right light, from about 2" away I can see the symbols, but generally, it's just textured plastic at any distance past that.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 29, 2020

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

You know what drives me nuts?

In Astrobot Playroom previews, this is all obviously different footage of different players playing, but there's this one coin in one part of the ice section that every single player has missed, and not a one of them has ever turned around to get it. How could like 10 people miss the exact same coin and make the exact same decision to not bother getting it!?

You are hallucinating a coin.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

VideoGames posted:

Thanks to bloodborne, I am now seriously considering getting a PS5 earlier than I was planning purely for Demons Souls. Hmm. This was most unexpected!

Can you plan to get one though? Seems like you either have a pre-order or you aren't getting one for months.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was playing through some Sekiro last night and had my first truly next-gen moment where I was like “I could keep slamming my head against this boss now.. or I can wait a few weeks and do it on PS5 with like zero load times...” and now I’m just waiting for my headphones to get here.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

They're on the inside of the side panels.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dave Lee changed the colour of his ps5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIqlu4sm5OQ

Looked like some AR poo poo at first.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It doesn’t look right in that colour.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Dave Lee changed the colour of his ps5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIqlu4sm5OQ

Looked like some AR poo poo at first.

That's a good (guesstimated) explanation of how the adaptive triggers work.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

That's a good (guesstimated) explanation of how the adaptive triggers work.

It makes sense, but I'm not sure having a motor that's constantly being driven against how the electricity is trying to make it move is a good solution, plus I don't think the force would transfer backwards along the screw component the way he says it would. I still think there's a spring involved and the worm gear is preventing the force of the user's finger from being directly absorbed by the motor.

Hopefully someone like ifixit does a detailed teardown.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

“I could keep slamming my head against this boss now.. or I can wait a few weeks and do it on PS5 with like zero load times...”
Load times for PS4 games might be better but won't be as fast as native PS5. It's probably worth waiting regardless but don't expect miracles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

L-O-N posted:

They're on the inside of the side panels.

I knew it!