Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Lol if you haven’t already played every decent ps4 game just lol

I haven’t and I’m now playing them on the perfect PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
just lol if you play PS4 games on a PS4

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Volte posted:

Well yeah, if I end up finding a physical PS5 game for super cheap I'll certainly buy it, but I mean a full priced PS5 game on launch day is probably going to be a digital buy.

I very much value not owning a game once I've finished playing it, and with a disc, not only is that possible, but other people give me money for it.

Especially if it's a single player game with not very much replayability?

why own it forever for $60 if you can play it all the way through and sell/trade it for the equivalent of $30 when you're done?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shammypants posted:

It used to be even better. You could get 20% off games, which was good. But also you could get a $1 credit (sometimes 2) for doing a slow delivery to your house on your orders. Then you could buy Nintendo or PS5 gift cards with them, which you can't do anymore. Then you could use their occasional buy 2 get 1 free promotions and I would get like 5 games for the price of 1 or maybe 1.5 games.

They did this to compete with Toys R Us.

It worked.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I don't understand how that math works.

Normally a game is $60, you get $12 off, $1 back. So you got a $60 game for $47.
The buy 2 get 1 never included preorders with the discount but let's pretend it did, that's $94 for 3 games.

How'd you get 5 games 'for the price of one, maybe 1.5'?

Amazon's deal was appealing but it was $10 off preorders only.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

cubicle gangster posted:

I don't understand how that math works.

Normally a game is $60, you get $12 off, $1 back. So you got a $60 game for $47.
The buy 2 get 1 never included preorders with the discount but let's pretend it did, that's $94 for 3 games.

How'd you get 5 games 'for the price of one, maybe 1.5'?

Amazon's deal was appealing but it was $10 off preorders only.

You'd have to acquire enough of those digital credits. My wife was really into glitch sales with Amazon and would often get products to resell on either unintended deals or what not and the digital credits would just be the icing on the cake.* So one time for example she got some kitchen faucet for 10 dollars down from 90 and we resold it for 30, and also took $2 in digital credits for not using Prime delivery. I would regularly get 60 dollar gift cards from those digital credits (looking into it, I got 3 60 dollar gift cards). Also, the preorder discounts would work on occasion, but never for super big titles like a new Mario. This didn't bother me too much because getting a physical copy of a game was all that mattered. It was free so I could turn around and sell them and get another game later with the proceeds. So I got Xenoblade Chronicles 2, played it for 30 hours, didn't like it, and someone bought from me for 40. It would just keep going on.

quote:

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal:$24.95
Shipping & Handling:$0.00
Promotion Applied:-$22.46
Total before tax:$2.49
Estimated tax to be collected:$0.00
Grand Total:$2.49

*So here is an example. This company was going out of business and offloaded a bunch of beach tent kind of things at 90% off. We bought 4 of these, got $2 dollars for each delivery in digital credits and resold each for 10.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 23, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Remember that brief period when Amazon had great digital PC sales? There was this cool seeming guy in charge of it all that I think even posted on SA that apparently busted his rear end negotiating the deals.

And then one day they just completely stopped.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah same i got into actually finishing games around 2010 when dark souls came out at the age of 27
Before that i just bought them and dabbled

Same, but Bloodborne and my early 20s. I’ve always liked video games, and I got a PS4 to play The Last Guardian, but before that I would maybe play one or two games a year, and now I own.... *checks digital library* 517 PS4 and PS5 games, although a lot of those are also demos or free PS Plus games.

This year I plan on becoming a true Gamer and I’m building what you could call a ‘gaming PC’, but I’m not specifically building it for gaming, but for making music really. And attempting to use Blender and Unity again, and those programs also benefit from a nice GPU, and I didn’t realize there was a 3060 ti, which is cool because I was tempted to splurge and get a 3070, but I don’t know if i could justify spending more than I did on the PS5 on a graphics card. Obviously this is all assuming that they’re even manufacturing 30 series cards which I’m not fully convinced of yet.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 23, 2021

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Shammypants posted:

You'd have to acquire enough of those digital credits.

This company was going out of business and offloaded a bunch of beach tent kind of things at 90% off. We bought 4 of these, got $2 dollars for each delivery in digital credits and resold each for 10.

You left all this out of your post though. You jumped from $10 off to paying $15 per game in the blink of an eye.

The amount of work that likley took is probably not entirely dissimilar to someone paying for games using money they earned at a job. That's actually what you did, you made money on the side then bought games with it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bust Rodd posted:

I play PS4 games upgraded to PS5 specs through remote play from my PS4.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Fix posted:

I play PS4 games upgraded to PS5 specs through remote play from my PS4.

Cursed Gaming.

Wait, can you do that and then remote play what's displayed on your PS4 on a Vita?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

lol this. you guys been playing PS4? we’re just joking in the ps4 thread

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

First PS5 controller down for the count!

R2 trigger lost all tension and I can hear a little broken custom spring rattling inside. Looked up a vid on how to fix and unlike the DS4 it looks like that poo poo requires BRAIN SURGERY, soldering, etc. Shame, the controller is in mint condition otherwise.

For usage perspective, this broken DualSense was splitting duty with my other one and I have adaptive triggers turned off, who knows if that makes a difference. Oh well, back to the store it goes! Hopefully they'll swap it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol i left my ps5 in rest mode for the first time since the last cyberpunk patch, to download the new cyberpunk patch and when i booted it back up it was noticeably longer to boot to the login screen than a cold boot does. now that is funny.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

First PS5 controller down for the count!

R2 trigger lost all tension and I can hear a little broken custom spring rattling inside. Looked up a vid on how to fix and unlike the DS4 it looks like that poo poo requires BRAIN SURGERY, soldering, etc. Shame, the controller is in mint condition otherwise.

For usage perspective, this broken DualSense was splitting duty with my other one and I have adaptive triggers turned off, who knows if that makes a difference. Oh well, back to the store it goes! Hopefully they'll swap it.

that sucks and is worrying, i've heard other reports of it happening to people, hopefully its just a small batch of controllers but i might buy a replacement preemptive.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

In DMC V both of my controllers make a terrifying little clicking sound, which I presume is the trigger magic getting ready, whenever the game switches from a cutscene to combat/exploration and L2 needs to have Nero’s sword rev gimmick.

No other games make either trigger in either controller do anything like that so I presume it’s just a quirk of the way they’ve implemented it for this one game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

that sucks and is worrying, i've heard other reports of it happening to people, hopefully its just a small batch of controllers but i might buy a replacement preemptive.

I would def grab a spare, because then if either one breaks you can throw whichever back in the box and try for a swap.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I would def grab a spare, because then if either one breaks you can throw whichever back in the box and try for a swap.

Stuff like that should atleast be covered for a year under warranty right?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

boz posted:

It probably is, but they typically expect you to send your controller in first before they send a replacement, and what would you use in the meantime?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

boz posted:

Yeah, but that would involve dealing with Sony support which I'd rather avoid if possible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That blows BP. What’s even weirder is, like, don’t you personally turn all the trigger stuff off? I know you’ve been anti-triggers in the past, was this break during a gaming session or did you just come home and your controller fell off the sofa or something?

Anyways here’s a WILD story, y’all, life is tough out there for a gamer lmao

https://twitter.com/_beeev/status/1352410396498526208?s=21

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bust Rodd posted:

That blows BP. What’s even weirder is, like, don’t you personally turn all the trigger stuff off? I know you’ve been anti-triggers in the past, was this break during a gaming session or did you just come home and your controller fell off the sofa or something?
It wouldn't surprise me if it was 100% a manufacturing thing. A lot of electronics manufacture is basically "what is the absolute least and weakest amount of material I can use to build this and still have it function" with no regard given to long-term lifespan or anything remotely like that. Springs or plastic breaking is a very common outcome of lovely manufacturing in controllers that have analog triggers. They just pop right off.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The PS5 is probably already due for a hardware refresh since the bottom RAM modules run at something like 95C under load. I imagine there's gonna be a lot of memory failures by this time next year.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The PS5 is probably already due for a hardware refresh since the bottom RAM modules run at something like 95C under load. I imagine there's gonna be a lot of memory failures by this time next year.
Seriously? Because that's a crazy temperature for any computer hardware to reach, even dedicated graphics cards. If any given component reaches more than 80C under load, something is seriously wrong, and usually RAM doesn't get hot enough to even merit its own cooling. Something is seriously wrong with that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Cardiovorax posted:

Seriously? Because that's a crazy temperature for any computer hardware to reach, even dedicated graphics cards. If any given component reaches more than 80C under load, something is seriously wrong, and usually RAM doesn't get hot enough to even merit its own cooling. Something is seriously wrong with that.

Ah I see you have not yet experienced the glory of a Ryzen processor.

But yes, it is a serious issue. The bottom two memory modules do not actually make contact with the PS5's heatsink, causing them to run extremely hot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Ah I see you have not yet experienced the glory of a Ryzen processor.

But yes, it is a serious issue. The bottom two memory modules do not actually make contact with the PS5's heatsink, causing them to run extremely hot.
gently caress that noise, then. I am seriously reconsidering whether I really even want to buy a first-gen PS5 at all, becaue holy poo poo that's incompetent.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only game that pushes my PS5 to anything approaching that temp is Miles Morales, a game I have completely given up on until I get a patch. Unlike my 30 Cyberpunk 2077 crashes, literally all of my last 4 Spider-Sessions have ended with the game completely locking up my console and causing it to scream in mechanical anguish until I power cycle it. There is a huge ongoing Reddit thread with posts as recently as a week ago talking about this.

Demon’s Souls, Sushi Ghost, 2077, none of these do anything even half as intense to my console, just Spider-Man.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Further reading if you want to see it tested for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmggkW6usmQ&t=531s

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Further reading if you want to see it tested for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmggkW6usmQ&t=531s
Thanks. That's kind of horrid. Also the cooling, not just the guy's hair.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Please do not disrespect Tech Jesus.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

my ps5 barely emits noticeable heat on ps5 games, no heat on ps4 games :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You guys do realize that you can't accurately test how hot individual components get by like, putting your hand in front of your PS5 right.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it doesn't really work like that. If the plastic of the outer cover was in contact with the components at this temperature range, it would be hot enough to mold it with your fingers.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
My PS5 is also fine and makes like no noise except when it does that weird disc spin.

I think it crashed once in demon souls (to the main menu) and honestly I’m impressed that the literally 100+ soft crashes on cyberpunk caused no actual problems. My partner wants to get Miles Morales but honestly I’m a bit sketchy about it

I’ve got my PS5 vertical on the floor and it’s got a lot of room front and back. No idea if that makes any difference

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

You guys do realize that you can't accurately test how hot individual components get by like, putting your hand in front of your PS5 right.

nope, i dont. :smuggo:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I very much value not owning a game once I've finished playing it, and with a disc, not only is that possible, but other people give me money for it.

Especially if it's a single player game with not very much replayability?

why own it forever for $60 if you can play it all the way through and sell/trade it for the equivalent of $30 when you're done?

I still got physical PS1 games I occasionally pull out and play with my nephew.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I wanna hurt ya feelin's

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sometimes coming back to a game to explore it or take on a deeper level of mastery of its mechanics can not only deepen your appreciation of that game, but also translate over to other games and further your ability to respond and connect to future works.

Also sometimes a comforting thing you already understand can build on itself, and so rewatching a favorite movie, rereading a favorite book, or replaying a favorite game can all help you to develop a deeper understanding of yourself. Going back to a work that you already understand to be an aspect or reflection of yourself gives you the opportunity to explore more difficult personal spaces because you aren't starting from scratch.

This is why some people donate their books, and some people keep the books they like on a shelf in their home.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The only reason I don't have every console I've ever owned plugged in and every game at the ready is basically a matter of not having enough space, inputs on my TV, or outlets to plug it all in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE