Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gort posted:

Cyberpunk did exactly this in a very similar "public letter" format to boot

Yeah I got instant Cyberpunk vibes from this. It's easy to just blame COVID, or some other outside force, but the reality is these delays are actually almost always "ooh god, we were just told last week that this game even exists and that we need to be done in 9 months." (this literally happened with Anthem)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I got instant Cyberpunk vibes from this. It's easy to just blame COVID, or some other outside force, but the reality is these delays are actually almost always "ooh god, we were just told last week that this game even exists and that we need to be done in 9 months." (this literally happened with Anthem)

They did the same thing twice for TLOU2 as far as I remember and that actually turned out good. I mean whether you think the game is good or bad it was extremely technically accomplished and the only bug I encountered was that hilarious long arm thing

:edit: they did of course work the employees nearly to death lets not forget

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

boz posted:

To be fair, if you actually played through all the content that comes with the free trial you'd either be hooked enough to pay it or you didn't finish the free content cause it wasn't your thing.

I've never played an mmo proper and didn't know about any trials. I may give it a whirl, thanks!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Returnal went gold so there shouldn't be a delay (even though Cyberpunk went gold and then was delayed but that's Cyberpunk...)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Folks, games get "we've delayed Bearded Man with Gun 3" messages all the time. No spokesperson is ever gonna say their project is a dumpster fire even if it's true. Every single delay announcement looks the same, you shouldn't be getting CP2077 PTSD.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cvnvcnv posted:

Is Returnal still looking like a winner? Any hands-on impressions or reviews out yet? Any additional delays?

Returnal is for sure releasing without any further delays. It looks like a sure winner, although probably not for me personally. The game looks like it'll have brutal difficulty, and the devs said there is no difficulty or accessibility settings. Going to use Control as a comparison here, because the combat looks so similar; that game had a bunch of really cool accessibility and difficulty options to adjust the game however you want in order to enjoy it on your own terms. Every game should be like that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It didn't grab me visually.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

cvnvcnv posted:

Is Returnal still looking like a winner? Any hands-on impressions or reviews out yet? Any additional delays?

I've never played an mmo proper and didn't know about any trials. I may give it a whirl, thanks!

Yeah you get the game and the first expansion to do for free, roped a couple of friends in on it as well.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Got the Chicago Chopper in Day's Gone. I am no longer frightened of hordes, this thing shreds. Although, I did groan when it became apparent that there were annoying zombie birds that attack you. Oh god, why.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just want something that makes me feel like I am playing a Playstation 5 game on my Playstation 5 instead of a PS4 game on my gigantic white PS4Pro+ and Returnal is a 3rd person sci-fi horror game with cthullu bullet hell monsters, I just don't see how I'm not gonna love this game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Days gone would have been way better if the game was about rabid hordes of wildlife instead of zombies. Just a stampede of demon cows followed by a cloud of evil chickadees

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I said come in! posted:

Returnal is for sure releasing without any further delays. It looks like a sure winner, although probably not for me personally. The game looks like it'll have brutal difficulty, and the devs said there is no difficulty or accessibility settings. Going to use Control as a comparison here, because the combat looks so similar; that game had a bunch of really cool accessibility and difficulty options to adjust the game however you want in order to enjoy it on your own terms. Every game should be like that.

Control is a bad comparison because it didn't have any difficulty options at release. I absolutely would've turned it down because I'm a big baby and was more interested in the story and the setting than fighting the same 5 enemies for the whole game. I think it was supposed to do the dynamic scaling to get easier if you got stuck but I got stuck in a few spots and nearly dropped the game altogether.

It looks like difficulty options were patched in about a year after release, so it's good they ended up there eventually. I think I would've liked Control a lot more if I'd played with these options in place to ease off a bit in a few of the harder parts.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Jolo posted:

Control is a bad comparison because it didn't have any difficulty options at release. I absolutely would've turned it down because I'm a big baby and was more interested in the story and the setting than fighting the same 5 enemies for the whole game. I think it was supposed to do the dynamic scaling to get easier if you got stuck but I got stuck in a few spots and nearly dropped the game altogether.

I turned on one-hit kills about halfway through the game. The same fights over and over got tedious, so this way I got to get through them quickly and enjoy the weird Remedy poo poo.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Even though they're totally different games that came out a decade apart, my brain immediately combines Ride to Hell Retribution with Days Gone. The gameplay in Days Gone is pretty good and the story in Ride to Hell is so bad it's good. I'd totally be down to play a combination of the two, fully clothed sex scenes and all.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

henpod posted:

I turned on one-hit kills about halfway through the game. The same fights over and over got tedious, so this way I got to get through them quickly and enjoy the weird Remedy poo poo.

I was traumatized by the boss that made the floor under you go away, but it's a boss that is above you so you're looking up away from the ground. I don't even know if difficulty options would make that boss easier if you can still fall through the floors. I wished during that fight that I had an actual double jump instead of the princess peach/Destiny warlock float that Jesse has.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I don't want to play Days Gone because I don't want to worry about fuel for the motorcycle. Same reason I don't play survival games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The fuel is an absolute non issue, it's scattered all over the place, I think I ran out once and you can just pay a guy to teleport it back to base.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

Days gone would have been way better if the game was about rabid hordes of wildlife instead of zombies. Just a stampede of demon cows followed by a cloud of evil chickadees

Tomacco: the game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Was thinking about Returnal despite my misgivings over the roguelike stuff I hate just because I wanted an actual PS5 game to play, then realised I've barely touched DeS and haven't even looked at Miles Morales lol

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

exquisite tea posted:

Folks, games get "we've delayed Bearded Man with Gun 3" messages all the time. No spokesperson is ever gonna say their project is a dumpster fire even if it's true. Every single delay announcement looks the same, you shouldn't be getting CP2077 PTSD.

Nintendo admitted Metroid Prime 4 sucked poo poo and that the only way to fix it is start over entirely.

Got a lot of respect for those guys for that announcement.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Jolo posted:

I was traumatized by the boss that made the floor under you go away, but it's a boss that is above you so you're looking up away from the ground. I don't even know if difficulty options would make that boss easier if you can still fall through the floors. I wished during that fight that I had an actual double jump instead of the princess peach/Destiny warlock float that Jesse has.

That boss made me nearly quit the game. I think I even uninstalled but a week later gave it a go again.

ZeeBoi posted:

I don't want to play Days Gone because I don't want to worry about fuel for the motorcycle. Same reason I don't play survival games.

As the person before me said, don't sweat fuel. It's found at nearly every location in the game, and keeping your tank topped by looking around the area for half minute is no big deal. I also hate survival games but that isn't a problem with Days Gone. The main problem is how little focus it gives to hoards & tools used to fight them, despite them being the only real unique aspect of the game. The most interesting part of the game is mostly optional end-game stuff.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 8, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gutcruncher posted:

Nintendo admitted Metroid Prime 4 sucked poo poo and that the only way to fix it is start over entirely.

Got a lot of respect for those guys for that announcement.

Would have a lot more respect for those guys if that announcement had been paired with "and in the mean time, we're putting a switch port of the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Nintendo Store!"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Was that a recent announcement or is it the one from years ago? Because I'm expecting them to come back with the exact same message pretty soon here.

"Third time's the charm, you guys"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I'd respect that message more if it wasn't the last time they acknowledged its existence

E: apart from looking for some high level staff to work on it like 18 months after that.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 8, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I'm not a developer but can't they just make the same again but with new levels? Works fine for most franchises

Maybe they were trying to be ambitious and change things up a lot, or maybe it's the direction of the actual levels / story / art design that isn't moving along as smoothly as expected.

They are a relatively small set of developers that juggle a lot of global powerhouse franchises so it makes sense that some stuff is going to get stuck in developmental hell but man Metroid fans have had it rough huh

Meanwhile from soft is making GBS threads out king tier games every other year, even their more rushed projects are still quite above average. Makes you wonder what kind of hosed up labor practices are going on over at from!!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Okay, if fuel isn't an issue I'll give Days Gone a go

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHoDGkpktPE

🤔

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah this is right around when the Japanese version of OSHA got involved so now they're no longer allowed to crank out badass games on a yearly basis due to the amount of humanity it consumes

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Japanese OSHA got involved with From?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Nah I'm making dumb jokes. I really don't think their impact/track record over the last few years has been fully appreciated yet, not just for the influence of demon/dark souls but for their sheer consistency.

What other developer has pumped out so many consistently good games in such a short time? These are complex pretty and big games too

In my opinion their only "dud" over the last few years was dark souls 2 and man I freaking love dark souls 2. They have achieved something here and others need to figure out what it is that works so well for them. Is it the leadership? Is it their specific workflow? Company culture? It's not like they were always consistent like this, they've been around for a while

If my other favorite developers could be as consistent as these guys I would be a very happy gamer. I'm already a very happy game don't get me wrong I got a PS5 and a switch but still. It feels like from soft has managed to distill the process of how to make the good game down into a fairly precise science

E: oh hmm they did have a few smaller titles I didn't play like that VR game I can't really speak to how those were

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 8, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

KingSlime posted:

They have achieved something here and others need to figure out what it is that works so well for them. Is it the leadership? Is it their specific workflow? Company culture? It's not like they were always consistent like this, they've been around for a while

they hired a humble creative dynamo and made him president of the company

acksplode
May 17, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Yeah I'm not a developer but can't they just make the same again but with new levels? Works fine for most franchises

Maybe they were trying to be ambitious and change things up a lot, or maybe it's the direction of the actual levels / story / art design that isn't moving along as smoothly as expected.

They are a relatively small set of developers that juggle a lot of global powerhouse franchises so it makes sense that some stuff is going to get stuck in developmental hell but man Metroid fans have had it rough huh

Meanwhile from soft is making GBS threads out king tier games every other year, even their more rushed projects are still quite above average. Makes you wonder what kind of hosed up labor practices are going on over at from!!

This is just typical Nintendo. They generally don't set out to publish formulaic sequels, and they have no reluctance to delay or cancel projects that aren't going to nail their intended goal. (Then they take that library of novel, innovative games and sell it to you again and again at a premium price.) I love the Fromsoft Souls games to death but they're obviously working from a formula. Elden Ring is getting so much hype in part because it's apparently going to break from that formula. And that probably explains why its development is taking so long, if it was just another Souls we'd probably be playing it by now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

acksplode posted:

This is just typical Nintendo. They generally don't set out to publish formulaic sequels, and they have no reluctance to delay or cancel projects that aren't going to nail their intended goal. (Then they take that library of novel, innovative games and sell it to you again and again at a premium price.) I love the Fromsoft Souls games to death but they're obviously working from a formula. Elden Ring is getting so much hype in part because it's apparently going to break from that formula. And that probably explains why its development is taking so long, if it was just another Souls we'd probably be playing it by now.

This is funny to me because I'm actually more hype about Elden Ring being a more "Souls like game" than Sekiro was.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
I didnt get elden ring hype for years and then i played sekiro recently...and now i absolutely understand why everyone is so giddy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only Elden Ring I want to hear about is
Eldin finally giving Murphy Brown a ring and making her an honest woman.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
gonna play the gently caress outta elden ring when it drops.

whenever that is :negative:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The only Elden Ring I want to hear about is
Eldin finally giving Murphy Brown a ring and making her an honest woman.

Might want to do some research on the actor who played Eldin.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

yo can I still get a refund on my physical copy of cyberpunk?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Learned not to buy games day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

cheeseboy58 posted:

I didnt get elden ring hype for years and then i played sekiro recently...and now i absolutely understand why everyone is so giddy

it's amazing to think that a studio responsible for rigid, pensive, rpgs with cool backgrounds and flavortext somehow leveled themselves up to the point where they popped out a game that has not only some of the most fluid character animation work out there but also what is drat near the best combat system in all of action gamedom plus hitbox accurracy and mechanical balance that other studios would kill to have, AND it had the rad art, AND it had the amazing flavortext and music. incredible