Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Empress Brosephine posted:

What do you need to use 3d audio

Stereo headsets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

What do you need to use 3d audio

Any pair of headphones that will connect to a PS5.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh sweet I'll try it out then. Do bluetooth ones work?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Oh sweet I'll try it out then. Do bluetooth ones work?

Bluetooth game audio isn’t supported on PS4 or PS5 at all, no, because the A2DP standard is unsolvably laggy. If you have a wired set or your headphones have an optional cable though, just plug ‘em into the controller.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how does the 3d audio work? like do i need to plug in headphones? i'd expect so, and that the tv speakers we normally use wouldn't work

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh dangit that was just answered, nevermind me

e: thanks for that very detailed answer dewgy! <3

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 1, 2021

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
e: ^^ All good! Gave me a chance to elaborate a lil bit. :tipshat:

Achmed Jones posted:

how does the 3d audio work? like do i need to plug in headphones? i'd expect so, and that the tv speakers we normally use wouldn't work

Yes, headphones required at this point, any stereo headphones should work. They say they’ll eventually update it to work with TV speakers and a home stereo setup with some tweaking, but it wasn’t ready for launch.

To make sure it’s on, go to Settings, Sound, Audio Output, and there’s an on/off switch for 3D audio under Headphones. (I’d assume turning it off makes it more like TV speaker balanced.)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

The audio is encoded to sound like its all around you in your normal headset by tricking your brain to use its binaural location

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
When I played Fenyx Rising with 3D audio turned on, it sounded really weird and unbalanced and I could hardly hear any of the dialogue. Is it a per-game thing and some games just don't support it?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dang I'm gonna check this out. Guess I need wireless headphones. Those new xbox ones really that good?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Volte posted:

When I played Fenyx Rising with 3D audio turned on, it sounded really weird and unbalanced and I could hardly hear any of the dialogue. Is it a per-game thing and some games just don't support it?

It’s one of the PS5-exclusive hardware features so it’s kind of up to the developer on how to implement it. I haven’t played Fenyx (beyond the demo anyway and IDK how it does 3D audio) but in my own experience the 3D really seems to shine when you crank the volume as high as you can comfortably get it.

Spider-Man Remastered was a great example. The part early in the game where Fisk is yelling at Spider-Man on the giant display sounded like I was in a movie theater. It had that perfect “loud sound in front of me echoing off the wall behind me” quality that just made the whole scene feel really huge.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Volte posted:

it gave me a headache (that game). but i assumed it was cause i didn't set up my ear profile. i never remembered to try it after turning it off.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

it gave me a headache (that game). but i assumed it was cause i didn't set up my ear profile. i never remembered to try it after turning it off.

The ear profile thing is bullshit the only setting makes sounds be more above or below you in case you have hosed up ear hole placement or something but default centers the sound in the center of the headphone so most people should choose that

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Sony has said that not every headphone is compatible with their 3d audio, so unless that is complete horseshit, maybe be more careful giving advice on purchases

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitch.tv/bustroddsa

Streaming more launch Returnal, let's get this boss and get this bread

(also in about an hour it's my birthday!)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shammypants posted:

Sony has said that not every headphone is compatible with their 3d audio, so unless that is complete horseshit, maybe be more careful giving advice on purchases

Sonys faq says

FAQ: “Players can...experience 3D audio on PS5 with a PS5-compatible headset that you may already own, either through the console’s USB connection, or by plugging an analog headset into the DualSense wireless controller’s 3.5mm headset jack.”

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Shammypants posted:

well in my case i was using the pulse 3d headset

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Rinkles posted:

well in my case i was using the pulse 3d headset

I got the Pulse 3d as well, it's good but either it still is breaking in comfort wise or never will. It was that or the Arctis pros that were explicitly (at the time) PS5 tempest compatible

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The 3rd boss in Returnal can eat a dick, at least you don't have to go through the second level again.

Game is cool and fun, really puts you on the edge, they're way to skimpy with health recovery items though

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shammypants posted:

Yeah, they basically mean mono headsets and Bluetooth ones won’t work. I’d have to imagine there’s a better or more direct way of phrasing it, but the general idea is if your stereo headphones are recognized by the PS5 as stereo headphones and enable the “Headphones” options in Settings, you’re good to go.

Right now my main set of cans are the Mpow H7 series, basically the dirt cheap but still acceptable Amazon deal of whenever the heck I bought them, but they use a removable line cable when they’re wired so it’s impossible for the PS5 to see them as anything other than “stereo headphones, wired to controller”, and they work great.

e: And you could probably make speakers work if they were wired to the controller, as funky of a setup as that would be, but I doubt it’d work as well as expected.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Kirios posted:

Why are people so quick to hate on Returnal just let people play the game they like and you have no interest in

We're discussing a very rare PS5 exclusive and unfortunately it's not something some of us are interested in so our console continues to gather dust. Just keep scrollin and postin

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Casnorf posted:

Returnal definitely demands a certain level of attention, so yeah I guess if you are incapable of giving it that then you're probably gonna have a super bad time.

I def don't have the discipline to beat this game, even though I've enjoyed it for a few hours. I haven't even gotten to the first boss yet.

I do wish it had some ridiculously easy cheat settings like Control, but I guess that would easily ruin the game.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

If you are really struggling, stay far away from enemies. Maximize distance so you can dodge attacks. Then, just explore literally everywhere. If you get into a room full of enemies your first priority entering every room should be a) to proceed slowly so you don’t get surrounded and b) if you are surrounded run and dash your rear end off to get to a far edge of the room so all the enemies are in front of you and start shooting from afar again. Beyond those tactics I dunno. Just got to go fast. Hesitation is defeat.

Edit: also, again. Everyone should put dash on the left bumper and never aim down sights unless they are specifically targeting something very far off. Just hip fire everywhere and keep your left trigger finger on the left bumper and dash all the time.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
in 6-7 hours I made it to the 3rd boss, first 2 bosses took 2 tries each. There is definitely some progression when you get certain items it's just a lot different than the traditional bonfires, it seems like after each death the path to the boss is a little "easier" like not as many enemy encounters and a shorter path but it could be my imagination.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Blind Rasputin posted:

If you are really struggling, stay far away from enemies. Maximize distance so you can dodge attacks.

The only downside to this is you miss out on all the cash drops unless you have a parasite that extends the pickup period.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

One thing I love about roguelikes is that the first real boss can be an incredible pain in the bulbs until you beat it a couple times then after a while it's like a zero effort blip in your run. The Concierge in dead cells killed me an embarrassing number of times and now it's just a speed bump

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitch.tv/bustroddsa

Streaming more launch Returnal, let's get this boss and get this bread

(also in about an hour it's my birthday!)

Happy Birthday Bust Rodd! :love:

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blind Rasputin posted:

the left bumper

It's L1 in Returnal

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

infraboy posted:

in 6-7 hours I made it to the 3rd boss, first 2 bosses took 2 tries each. There is definitely some progression when you get certain items it's just a lot different than the traditional bonfires, it seems like after each death the path to the boss is a little "easier" like not as many enemy encounters and a shorter path but it could be my imagination.

I don't know the first biome was throwing hell at me but I was also going to all the arena rooms. I've had room one be bats and tree men a few times that's always good to get your game face on :catstare:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

the 3D audio poo poo is confusing. Some headphones have like 3D sort of head tracking feature, but that's different. Essentially Sony is doing their own proprietary thing, mostly because the optical port is gone. You can still get 5.1 7.1 etc surround sound headsets working if your TV has optical pass through.

Achmed Jones posted:

hmmm I have an audeze penrose which is wireless, and apparently it has it, so I guess it doesn't have to be wired? Maybe wireless headsets just need to be PS5 compatible with the dongle?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is Returnal? the gameplay seems good and the audio is disgusting. I love the audio lol

I don't have a PS5

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Wow these are the worst enemies so far by a mile, they're tiny and basically shooting homing missles at you that do a ton of damage and are difficult to dodge, GG if you're in an open space

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is Returnal? the gameplay seems good and the audio is disgusting. I love the audio lol

I don't have a PS5

very good

take Control's movement/gunplay and Nex Machina's combat pace and mechanics and you'll be in the ballpark

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

infraboy posted:

Wow these are the worst enemies so far by a mile, they're tiny and basically shooting homing missles at you that do a ton of damage and are difficult to dodge, GG if you're in an open space

yes those guys may categorically be The Worst

the best way to consistently dodge them is the grappling hook, you're invincible while you're still on the zipline and their missiles track too well for your normal dash

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The scariest thing in the game is the sound the teleporter makes when you get close to it. Freaks me the gently caress out every time

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah. A few times around transporters or other very odd machines I’ve found I thought the haptic engine in my controller was about to explode. How can the controller take this amount of punishment lol. This game has it making some sounds and high pitched haptic frequencies sometimes that honestly worry me.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I hear that sound from the predator movies when you're getting stalked.

I do like the sound and shake when your alt-fire is ready though

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

My PS5 died a day after I sold my PS4 and a day before Returnal came out. I’m not happy with video games right now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

infraboy posted:

I hear that sound from the predator movies when you're getting stalked.

I do like the sound and shake when your alt-fire is ready though

*bing!*

“aha! it’s time for something besides me to die!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I wish the trigger had a firmer click for alt fire there barely any extra force needed to pass the ADS portion of the throw