Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm thinking about buying an external HDD for my PS4 to use for the PS5 when that comes in. Does it need to be a powered one?

Nope, it just needs to be USB 3.0 aka USB 3.1 gen 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

this news of saves not working for remasters makes me concerned that saves wont transfer over for BC either for some insane reason... could be why they've been weird about talking about it...

I'm sure saves will work for BC titles if they've been added to your cloud storage.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m keeping all my tips from work from now until Launch in an envelope and I will use it all to buy games with. So far I have enough saved for Demon Souls and Miles Morales. Wish I had a 3rd launch title that was a different sort of game, but AstroBoy gave me serious Knack vibes so I’m gonna skip it.

Good news! The Astrobot game is built-in to the console for free!

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

It looks great from what they're showing. I'm not super into the new Peter design, but now I'm thinking I might buy the Ultimate edition and play the Remaster before Miles Morales. I never played all of the DLC in the PS4 version.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Don't plan on wireless speakers working just because the PlayStation 5 has bluetooth. The PS4 has bluetooth and you can't use bluetooth audio devices.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

BigHandsVince posted:

Sony make a great set of wireless noise cancelling headphones, (XM4), but there's no dingle for them, they're Bluetooth. Does this mean they won't be compatible? Insane if true, they are so good.

If they have an aux port you can plug them into the controller. Otherwise, no.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

VideoGames posted:

I am guessing the PS5 is more of a change to the PS4 than the xbox lot.
Unless, did PS3 saves work on the PS4 between the crossbuy titles?

Cross buy and cross save were two independent features. Some games did support both.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

VideoGames posted:

It must be like the change to the PS3>PS4 and there must be more going on within the games coding then if some saves are incompatible.

The quote from the Black Desert developer is more that they don't know if the game will work at all on PlayStation 5. Nothing specifically about PS4 saves there.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Wrong, Sony is well known now for their extensive accessibility and options in games.

It cannot be stressed how good the accessibility options in The Last of Us Part 2 are.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

The only thing stopping me from doing this is I’m scared that the PSN will be getting absolutely jabberwocked on launch day and I won’t be able to download my games.

The average Christmas morning will have way more consoles hitting the PSN servers than a supply limited launch day will. Not to say there won't be blips in some areas but it likely won't be a disaster.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

Do they specifically state it will actually be PS5/Series enhanced? I could see them just giving you the PS4 or XB1 version and calling it good, since it'll work on those consoles.

It says the complete edition from 2014, so that makes me think it will be the backwards compatible version.

I thought Watch_Dogs 1 was aggressively fine so if it's a next-gen update I'll... not play it, but I won't be unhappy it exists.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
It's great that you can remove the sides without tools. Not only does it mean that there should be some fun aftermarket shells for the console, but also cleaning the inside will be easy.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Bad Parenting posted:

The more I see the PS5 the more its design grows on me. Cool of them to do a teardown video as well. Have MS done one for the XBOXSX or is that ugly monolith just full of spiders?

They did one in March with Digital Foundry.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I don't think the average player would "notice the extra frames", but I think they would notice a better experience or "game-feel" even if they wouldn't be able to articulate why. It's one of the reasons that I think Call of Duty remains popular.

This is assuming it's a mostly stable 60, which it should be.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

henpod posted:

I really like that pack of games that new PS5 owners get. Any idea if this is just for the launch, or if I get my ps5 next year sometimes it would apply?

They have given no indication that it is a limited time feature.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
This is his tweet thread. It has been misrepresented.

https://twitter.com/108/status/1308428583363280896?s=20

(it's a good thread and worth reading)

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

Don't know if this got posted here but amazon is doing 25% back on psn cards for prime members. I cancelled my physical preorders of MM and DeS and just paid for it with these and then topped off my account again.

Limit 2 per denomination. https://www.amazon.com/l/1798536601...d_i=17934980011

Specifically, it's for folks with the Amazon Prime credit cards.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

repiv posted:

Framerates beyond 60fps are great on PC where you can whip the camera around extremely fast with the mouse but I think it won't be as obvious with a controller

This has mostly been my experience on a 165hz display. I can very easily tell a difference between 60 and 120 in a game with a mouse (but not really 120 to 144 or 165), but it's more subtle with a controller.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
GOTY

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1316471465412358144?s=20

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

abraxas posted:

So I vaguely remember someone asking this before but my most burning PS5 question is when can I install Corn Love Forever or does it carry over when I transfer my PS4 stuff to my PS5 after arrival? Do PS4 themes work on the PS5? That's the only BC I care about...

We don't know if themes carry forward but I highly doubt it.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

haveblue posted:

You hold the Dual Sense firmly and think very hard about what you want the console to do. That's why they named it that.

My PlayStation 5 is just going to boot Spider-Cat ft. Miles Morales for the entire generation when I pick up the controller, then.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

haveblue posted:

We already got one bit of news- the PS5 will be capable of recording party voice chat, so if someone's being an rear end in a top hat you can send a clip to Sony and get them disciplined. This was revealed in response to people noticing they added a "warning: you may be recorded" line to the party usage fine print.

This is a good addition, but Sony should have communicated this ahead of time to avoid freaking people out. And it was a notification that pops up, not fine print, I believe.

Xbox has a similar feature, I think.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I am non-ironically pumped that PlayStation 5 is implementing Xbox One's Snap feature.

Escobarbarian posted:

me: these cards suck
me one minute later: oh poo poo these cards are actually pretty cool

I am always weary of these kinds of dynamic engagement systems, but the idea that games know your playstyle and can recommend activities you can complete in 10-minute chunks is a neat idea. How intelligent the recommendation and card generation systems are will determine how useful these cards end up being.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Digital Foundry has an article about the UI.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-a-first-look-at-the-ps5-user-interface

The UI is in 4K HDR.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

My hot take is that everything other than parties looks good. The parties stuff is going to be a hassle if you do stuff like LFG in Destiny.

It's interesting for people who have regular gaming groups, but yes, that seems to be a downside to the changes they've made.

haveblue posted:

Can't wait to be sneaking through a dark room in RE8 and get blinded by a notification popping up

The notification boxes look like they default to a darker gray rather than a blinding white, at least.

Escobarbarian posted:

This is a surprisingly positive article from a bunch of people that this thread has assured me are Sony-hating Xbox shills

Digital Foundry is great.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

univbee posted:

Did Sony ever confirm you could suspend multiple games? I noticed when they switched from Sackboy to Destruction All-Stars there was no "you're going to lose unsaved progress" warning.

They have not talked about a Quick Resume type feature to my knowledge, no.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Thanks for that deep dive, Fedule! I love how both systems are so similar but the designs showcase the philosophical differences between the two companies. It's so cool to see.

EDIT: but please don't vacuum your electronics out!

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

Sony literally just told me to!

I guess we'll see what the manual says about it when we get boxes in our hands.

I think there are special vacuums for electronics specifically, but regular vacuums can cause static electricity to build up. Use compressed air if you can.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Barudak posted:

Theres no way there isn't quick resume on PS5 given the warning text seems updated.

The rest mode menu option mentions "games" so it has similar functionality, probably.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Digital Foundry's video on the PlayStation 5 interface is available to watch now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTXwhaUWxuk

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Rinkles posted:

DS5 works on PS4?

As far as I have seen, there's been no word yet. Maybe?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Games are still going to have loading and connecting screens. Also, these are launch games! Developers will get better at using the new tech as time goes on.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

How do you know?

Microsoft was adding games weekly when reviewers first got their units. There were around 1000 games available to play the first weekend reviewers had access and now everything is playable, from what I understand. There may be embargos still for some enhanced games.

This is a normal thing. Prerelease units get major patches when reviewers are using them. For example, the PlayStation 4 got a massive, multi-gig patch that fixed a ton of errors and enabled PSN a week or less before launch. These modern systems are fluid up to and after launch.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I really don't trust that site and I wouldn't recommend purchasing from it. Just wait for something more legitimate to pop up on, like, Amazon or something.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Gotta love the USB and Firewire ports on the front that basically never got used for anything. :allears:

You can play Half-Life or Unreal Tournament with a mouse and keyboard using those USB ports.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm sorry if this comes up a lot, but is there a given reason from Sony why psp/ps3 store games (ps1 classics, psp vita games etc) aren't going to be available?

They will just be gone from the website. You can still access them from the consoles for now.

The reasons for this change are unclear, and probably involve some combination of old versions of PSN are preventing changes to PSN on current and future consoles and that some higher-ups in Sony's video game division aren't the biggest champions of legacy content.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Wow. Good move, though. There are probably discs printed out there somewhere.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

KingSlime posted:

C'mon internet when do we start getting real unboxing videos and impressions??

Probably tomorrow.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Rinkles posted:

a special embargo just for unboxing, lol

This is quite standard nowadays. Yes, it's silly. Unboxing videos are huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1321474434360889344

Bugsnax!